PDA

View Full Version : Rallying or F1

Humpty's Revenge
11-04-2010, 10:22 AM
What do you think is better Rallying or Formula 1?

My choice is Rallying /rally

Nick Mann
11-04-2010, 10:33 AM
There's a place for both. As a spectator sport, F1 holds more interest, Rallying holds more adrenalin rush. As a sport to take part in, I'd rather go for F1 than rallying - I wouldn't be able to drive fast round blind corners!

ANTHONY
11-04-2010, 10:39 AM
rallying was better when you had more constructors

lancerevo3
11-04-2010, 10:40 AM
get the best of both with rallycross,

Flix
11-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Rallying for me, local club level though.
Also Rallycross, got everything.
Do Autograss myself, cheap fun.

Hank Scorpio
11-04-2010, 01:08 PM
I'd go with Rallying. The Dakar is THE motorsports race IMO.

HJM
11-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Got to be F1 for me :)

Racing directly against other cars seems far more exciting than racing the scenery and the clock.

Although I do like the unhinged aspect of the nutter rally drivers.

As said before, shame the number of real challenging constructors has dropped in rallying :(

miller
11-04-2010, 07:38 PM
RaLLYING RALLYING RALLYING RALLYING RALLYING

Fandango
11-04-2010, 08:09 PM
F1 is a great spectacle. I have been to several, the best of which are, imo, Melbourne and Monaco.

I do think there is more skill in rallying, if you look at the onboard shots, the work rate is phenomenal, but viewed from the outside, the cars just seem to glide gracefully from one slide to the next.

But tune to BBC3 in about 30 minutes for the ultimate in skill!

aboo
11-04-2010, 08:34 PM
I like both but rallying has lost a its way abit with so many constructors pulling out for one reason or another.

Kieran
11-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Rallying. Real men drive saloon cars across gravel and occasionally into trees. And then get out, roll the car back onto 4 wheels with the help of the crowd, kick the bast@rd until it starts again and then carry on. Everyone in Rallying is a Hero, from the driver who can punt a car down a farm track at 120mph, the navigator who sits there, reading clear instructions without papping their pants whilst hurtling along at 120mph to the Mechanic, who with a few tools and about ten minutes rebuilds the engine, removes the excess tree branches and smacks the panelwork until it resembles a car again. /notworthy

Now, as for Formula None... Before I start, I should stress that these are my views on the sport, and not of the people who watch it; I realise that mental illness is a cruel thing. :d

With that in mind... :ranton: :soaprant

F1 is monumentally dull. Fact.

As a spectator sport it ranks with watching snooker or the international knitting championships. 'Oh, wasn't that an exciting race!' all the pundits yell when we have a race where someone actually overtakes. And even then they usually either bottle it or get yelled at by the constructor, and normally it only happens when someone's tyres are wearing out. Heaven forbid one of them takes a risk, thinks ':censored: it, I'm having you sunshine!!' and really goes for it. Bunch of limp wristed Prima Donnas./catfight 'But I simply HAD to retire, Dahling. One of my wings got bent when a fly got squashed on it!!' FFS. Crash properly, put some duck tape on it, smack it with a hammer and get back on that circuit before I administer the pan to you, you highly strung little nitwit. /bat /pan

Ah, that's better. Been a while since I've had a good old soapbox moment! :furious4: /Devil5

aboo
11-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Dont hold back K. Say what you feel.:)

Kieran
11-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Dont hold back K. Say what you feel.:)

/lol

It's been AGES since I've had a full-on rant complete with wild, unfounded opinions, smilies and a mischievous grin whilst I've been typing! /Devil5

aboo
11-04-2010, 10:58 PM
I can see you enjoyed that.

Ryan
11-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Whilst I agree with some of Kieran's points *chortle chortle* - F1 is by no means a walk in the park physically.

As everyone knows, the forces that the drivers are subjected to for a ~300km race are extreme - the acceleration and deceleration plus the extreme lateral Gs of cornering, all take a tremendous toll on the driver.

I think it has been mentioned somewhere that competing in an F1 race is equivalent to the running of a marathon. Being strapped into a rocket wearing a fireproof suit head-to-toe whilst baking in the sun with the noise of a thousand banshees for company doesn't sound easy.

I think that F1 drivers have a lot to concentrate on too. They have to make split second decisions in trying to keep the car on the road and run it as efficiently as possible whilst making onboard adjustments as necessary and all with a less than optimal field of view.

I think F1 races in the rain is, in my opinion, some of the toughest racing you could get.

I think both classes of racing have their own unique set of challenges though.

william
12-04-2010, 02:52 AM
Have you been to a GP, Kieran? I agree it can be seen as dull when watching it on TV, but it is something else in real time! I have been to many different motor sport events and IMO nothing comes close to F1 as a spectacle, and yes, I have been to WRC events! Anybody who thinks it is easy to drive a F1 car should watch Richard Hammond on Top Gear when he tried out a F1 Renault! I do not think he would have been so completely and utterly stunned if he tried out a factory WRC car! My opinion anyway!

psbarham
12-04-2010, 07:01 AM
you want talent? MotoGP & endurance racing (lemans 24hr) they are proper big balls stuff.

that said I do enjoy F1 even if it can be hugely frustrating at times.

Subaru ETA
12-04-2010, 07:50 AM
for me, both sports have lost there way....well actually most motorsport has lost its way!!!

i havent watched a full F1 race in about 3 years!! i fall asleep most times if i bother trying to watch it!

i stopped watching WRC a couple of years ago too - but that mostly has to do with the fact that the coverage in new zealand is below par.

Touring cars is where it is at.... cars that look like the one sitting on the show room floor and they pass each other! they are not scared of hitting each other and have the car fall apart around them!!!

i wish we had better coverage of world touring cars here! i never miss a round of the v8 supercars. thank god we get decent tv coverage of that!

Gowf
12-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Rallying. Real men drive saloon cars across gravel and occasionally into trees. And then get out, roll the car back onto 4 wheels with the help of the crowd, kick the bast@rd until it starts again and then carry on. Everyone in Rallying is a Hero, from the driver who can punt a car down a farm track at 120mph, the navigator who sits there, reading clear instructions without papping their pants whilst hurtling along at 120mph to the Mechanic, who with a few tools and about ten minutes rebuilds the engine, removes the excess tree branches and smacks the panelwork until it resembles a car again. /notworthy

Now, as for Formula None... Before I start, I should stress that these are my views on the sport, and not of the people who watch it; I realise that mental illness is a cruel thing. :d

As a spectator sport it ranks with watching snooker or the international knitting championships. 'Oh, wasn't that an exciting race!' all the pundits yell when we have a race where someone actually overtakes. And even then they usually either bottle it or get yelled at by the constructor, and normally it only happens when someone's tyres are wearing out. Heaven forbid one of them takes a risk, thinks ':censored: it, I'm having you sunshine!!' and really goes for it. Bunch of limp wristed Prima Donnas./catfight 'But I simply HAD to retire, Dahling. One of my wings got bent when a fly got squashed on it!!' FFS. Crash properly, put some duck tape on it, smack it with a hammer and get back on that circuit before I administer the pan to you, you highly strung little nitwit. /bat /pan

Ah, that's better. Been a while since I've had a good old soapbox moment! :furious4: /Devil5

Well said K. One thing just to add to that, as a rally driver/ naviagator you are not just expected, but required to have full knowledge of your car, which can be tested at either pre or post event scrutineering. The F1 boys have to know how their car works in terms of performance, but not the ins and outs. If their car is illegal do they know about it?

Although there are virtualy no works teams left in the world of rallying, ie wrc, is this nessesarily a bad thing? Yes for the development of cars with unlimited budgets, but rallying isnt going in that direction at all. The powers that be at the FIA (we wont talk about the MSA at the moment as im currently in a huge huff with them) decided that to make the sport more accesable to joe public why not open it up. So instead of having to go out and buy your 2 year old wrc car at £500,000 which has had most of the goodness removed from it by the time you get it, the s2000 idea was born.

I personaly think that its a really good idea, as for around the £150000 mark you can get yourself a car that is competitive with the privateers wrc's. Will be more interesting though when the wrc goes and everyone is forced into this category. It may, infact it has, encouraged manufacturers to come back to the sport.

One thing that must be said though, to be fair over the past 5years wrc has been a bit dull, all due one frenchman. Amazing driver, but best rally driver of all time if you follow stats, i think not. was very lucky to enter wrc when the 5 world champions who were competing ceased to.

This has maybe gone on a bit of a tangent, but lets be honest, with rally spectating, no you cant see the whole race like in f1, but you do get far closer to the action, which to me is far more important.

Same goes for competing though, when you watch the in car footage back of what you've just done you often wonder wtf am i doing.... cant beat the buzz it gives you though. As they say, you only truly feel alive when confronting death.

miller
12-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Forget the WRC, get to your local rally for the true have a go heroes in the best motorsport going!

Gowf
12-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Forget the WRC, get to your local rally for the true have a go heroes in the best motorsport going!

Well yes, but the main difference there is that those who cant afford to sell their cars to a tree wont be going as hard as someone who doesnt give a damn as its not his/her car.

And now due to the MSA being a total buntch of :censored: most of the iconic greatness that could be seen tearing through the forrest has been banned. All in the name of safety apparently. Im stopping here before i go on one.

HJM
12-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Oops I see the rally boys have got their anoraks back on /STP /lol

Still good to see some passion in this topic.

Now bu@@er off back to the woods its the Chinese GP this weekend :)

miller
12-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Oops I see the rally boys have got their anoraks back on /STP /lol

Still good to see some passion in this topic.

Now bu@@er off back to the woods its the Chinese GP this weekend :)

round

and

round

and

round

and

round

and

round

and

round

and

round

and

round

:jester:

Confused
12-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Go the wheels on the bus?

Confused
12-04-2010, 04:21 PM
I much prefer to watch rallying, than F1.

However, F1 is more accessible (especially now it's back on the BBC)

So far this season of F1, I've watched every practice session, qualifying, and the race - whilst working a 9-5, thanks entirely to the iPlayer.

Rallying, unfortunately, seems to get a half-hour slot at odd times on obscure channels, so just trying to watch it is a nightmare in itself!

So, which of the 2 do I watch? F1. Not because I prefer it (far from it, in fact), but it's currently the most accessible.

WildCards
12-04-2010, 04:56 PM
I like rallying, but i've always loved F1. Circuit racing to me, be it, two wheels or four is fantastic. I watched the MotoGP in Qatar the other night and it was properly gripping edge of the seat stuff, agreed F1 doesn't often give the same spectacle but it's bloody good when it does. Le Mans again is brilliant but it's a big investment to follow it fully. Rallying as a spectator can be watched on a highlights show and I never feel like I've missed anything.

VR4Kaos
12-04-2010, 07:04 PM

coulden't of put it any better meself Kieran nor spelt half of it but well said totaly agree you took the word out of my mouth mr meatloaf lol