PDA

View Full Version : Roaring sound

Robotnik123
11-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Car is making a fairly audible kind of roaring or droning sound. This noise is audible when driving the car with the windows up. The noise is particularly noticeable at about 100km/h, but seems to be present at all speeds.

Letting off the accelerator does not effect it and neither does the pumping the brakes. I thought it might be the tyres: was using cheap Nankang NS-2s which can be noisey, so swapped these for some Pirelli's, but there wasn't any change. Any suggestion? Have it booked into a mechanic on Friday. Am thinking maybe it is a wheel bearing.

AlanDITD
11-04-2010, 04:41 PM
does it change as you turn left to right?

Ryan
11-04-2010, 09:13 PM
When I had a faulty wheel bearing it exhibited the same symptoms Jan. To give yourself an idea of whether or not it could be faulty, jack the car up and firmly grip each wheel at the top and bottom and attempt to move it to and fro.

If it moves, it is quite likely a faulty bearing. My left front cost in the region of $400ish to replace by PitStop - hope this helps! :)

wintertidenz
11-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Yup, that would be a wheel bearing. A mechanic can put the car up in the air with the wheels turning and tell you which bearing it is.

New wheel bearing/hub assembly from Mitsi = $380
Aftermarket bearing/hub assembly = around $300

Your best bet is to get a second hand one if you don't want to spend too much.

Robotnik123
12-04-2010, 11:03 AM
does it change as you turn left to right?

No turning the wheel has no effect.

Robotnik123
12-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Yup, that would be a wheel bearing. A mechanic can put the car up in the air with the wheels turning and tell you which bearing it is.

New wheel bearing/hub assembly from Mitsi = $380
Aftermarket bearing/hub assembly = around $300

Your best bet is to get a second hand one if you don't want to spend too much.

Ouch that is quite expensive. Last time I got a wheel bearing done, it was on a BMW and the whole repair was $200 or something like that.

Robotnik123
12-04-2010, 12:13 PM
Hey re. wheel bearings -back in the day for old cars couldn't you buy actual bearings and press them into the assembly with a pressing tool? I have a hazy recollection of this when I was a lad in relation to an Anglia 105E or other crappy British car Dad had.

The Vee
13-04-2010, 12:25 AM
Hey re. wheel bearings -back in the day for old cars couldn't you buy actual bearings and press them into the assembly with a pressing tool? I have a hazy recollection of this when I was a lad in relation to an Anglia 105E or other crappy British car Dad had.

And fifty years later you can still do that with a "crappy" 8G if you wish ;) :P

wintertidenz
13-04-2010, 01:23 AM
It's usually just easier to replace the entire assembly.

waxer
13-04-2010, 02:12 AM
Expensiver though.

Nikola
13-04-2010, 05:19 AM
not that expensive when you consider its not a wheel bearing its a full hub asembly, just jack the car up enough to get a bar under the wheel and lever it up and down any movement is a bad bearing, and they are relativly easy to change, minimul tools required and only takes about an hour so save yourself some cash and do it yourself

Robotnik123
14-04-2010, 10:31 AM
And fifty years later you can still do that with a "crappy" 8G if you wish ;) :P

More like 30 odd years ago. Like in the late 1970s with a 1968 105e.