PDA

View Full Version : Hammerite or Proper stuff?

Kieran
07-08-2004, 10:01 PM
Gentlemen...

I intend to paint my brake calipers tomorrow, in a nice shade of black.

Lots of people use Hammerite Smooth. Others use purpose blended caliper laquer. :undecided

Thoughts?

SGHOM
07-08-2004, 10:31 PM
I used proper caliper paint, but in my opinion, whatever you use makes them look "hand painted" .
Given the time & the money, I would take them off & have them professionally anodized/lacquered. that way they will look good, permanently !!

Big Ian
07-08-2004, 10:42 PM
i alway's use a hard coat enamel gloss finish paint,get it from homebase about 4th of the price of caliper paint,and ih any colour you want...including black :D also (house)radiator paint work's.

nick-f1
08-08-2004, 12:23 PM
I used high temperature engine/manifold paint £3.99p for a large can from motorist discount centre. Comes in loads of colours too, I used silver on mine to match car but looks more grey tho' :-D

Kieran
08-08-2004, 12:40 PM
I used high temperature engine/manifold paint £3.99p for a large can from motorist discount centre. Comes in loads of colours too, I used silver on mine to match car but looks more grey tho' :-D

I like the sound of this. I could spray into the inside of the can lid and then brush it on - and there's no concerns about failure under extreme heat.

Thanks! :)

Nick VR4
08-08-2004, 01:00 PM
Not sure about Hammerite ? don't think it can cope with high temperatures

Still have the box sitting in the shed for my brakes to be painted red not to sure about red though the proper stuff needs 24 hours to dry

craig-1
08-08-2004, 01:23 PM
Not sure about Hammerite ? don't think it can cope with high temperatures

Still have the box sitting in the shed for my brakes to be painted red not to sure about red though the proper stuff needs 24 hours to dry

ive done the front brakes with mine(not got round to the rear yet) i used hammerite smooth and they still look ok and its been on now for a few month(no chips or discolouring with the heat) :-D

gambit_74
10-05-2005, 08:05 PM
painted mine the other day in white hammerite and i think they look ok.

Sulli
10-05-2005, 08:17 PM
Hammerite smooth is fine, and the finish, once dry doesn't look hand-painted.
I've just had a look but can't find any pictures, but the old 4-pots on my Scooby and the VR4 brakes both painted in Hammerite smooth, and the Scooby ones after a year and still looked great.
Just make sure you follow the instructions - prepare the calpers as best you can, take them off if you can really, scrub them with some sort of stripper with a toothbrush or similar, and after the first coat of Hammerite, do the second coat after an hour or so (I think).

By the way, can't see calipers getting hot enough to bother hammerite.

paulmc
10-05-2005, 09:08 PM
I use QD90 it is high temp paint around 3quid for a small tin more than enough to do your calipers 4 or 5 times. worked very well in my other cars. my local diy store stocks it so prob be widely available. various colours

Smokinmasta2
27-05-2005, 09:54 PM
Hammerite smooth works well enough.
Have also used tinned UHT engine paint and works well too.

Smokin........

ANTHONY
27-05-2005, 11:00 PM
I like the sound of this. I could spray into the inside of the can lid and then brush it on - and there's no concerns about failure under extreme heat.

Thanks! :)
i masked up the discs and also used engine spray any exess just burns off, i did mine over two weeks ago and they still look the same........... i used black spray
take a look at my pic in the garage

caishanvr4
28-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Im def gonna do this too but im too lazy to take calipers off, so what would be the quickest/best recommended way of colouring my calipers, spray or paint?? does spray have the quicker drying time ?

ANTHONY
29-05-2005, 06:34 PM
Im def gonna do this too but im too lazy to take calipers off, so what would be the quickest/best recommended way of colouring my calipers, spray or paint?? does spray have the quicker drying time ?
i did all 4 calipers with black engine spray in about 5 hours and they dry in about
2 hours............. i just need to get some stickers now............ but do get some brake cleaner 1st to get all the sh#t off