PDA

View Full Version : My new ICE install

oldgit9
15-04-2010, 07:52 PM
ive been meaning to update my ICE since i bought the car. but i've never got round to it...until now.

i done some research on what type of head unit to go for...single or double din units. in the end, i went for a double din with a big screen and to be able to play dvds and to be ipod/ihone ready.

there are loads to choose from. depending on your budget. to cut the long story short, i decided to go for the pioneer avh-p4200dvd (google it). it's a new unit. it's only been out for a few months. it's packed full of features and ticks all the boxes (and more). but to get the head unit in, i had to trim the surroundings to get it to fit. it was ok in the width but it was 6mm on the hight. it's just lucky i have a dremal to do the gob.

along with the new head unit, i needed to install new speakers. as the ones in the car were shot. i was recommended by my local turnbulls to put a set of Orion's in the front and a set of Kenwoods in the rear. i also used some dynomat on the door cards.

im well happy with the head unit and speakers at the moment. but i will be tweaking with the settings when i get a chance.

to complete the set-up, im waiting on delivery of two headrests with lcd screens in them. they should be with me in the next few days.

here are some pics of my old head unit, new head unit and the door card.

White Lightning
15-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Looks good :thumbsup:

wintertidenz
15-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Headunit looks great, nice choice!

Great choice on the speakers, the Orions are really good. Did you get component sets or just 2/3-ways?

Would also recommend that you do the outer door skin as well, will make a HUGE difference in sound.

oldgit9
15-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Headunit looks great, nice choice!

Great choice on the speakers, the Orions are really good. Did you get component sets or just 2/3-ways?

Would also recommend that you do the outer door skin as well, will make a HUGE difference in sound.

the Orions are 17cm two way component speakers. They do sound good.

I've still got two sheets of dynomat left and I do intend to do the outer door skin at some point. Just not got the time at the moment. I managed to get a mild case of heat stroke when I was doing the door cards the other day. My fault for doing them out in the sun...lol

wintertidenz
15-04-2010, 11:27 PM
Well the sun does have one advantage... leave the Dynamat sheets out in the sun for 30 minutes or so to soften them before you put them on the doors, will make it much more flexible to apply. It's pretty flexible as it is, but the sun just helps that tiny bit more ;)

oldgit9
16-04-2010, 01:15 AM
I used the wifes hair dryer and a small wallpaper roller to apply the dynomat. Quicker and easier. God knows what would have happend to me if I stayed out for longer. The daughter was teasing me as it was, with half a tan on my face...lol

wintertidenz
16-04-2010, 01:23 AM
You've already found the perfect technique then :D

Turbo_Steve
16-04-2010, 07:48 AM
Very nice. I'm not even remotely jealous of your nice in-car system at all. Oh no.

Well done, dude! Very nice!

Atik
16-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Very nice looking stereo. I'm a big fan of double dins and full screen ones like that are very cool.

I need to get around to sound deadening my car at some point. More to stop road noise entering the cabin than to hold in my mediocre sounds. How long did it take to just do the doors?

oldgit9
18-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Very nice. I'm not even remotely jealous of your nice in-car system at all. Oh no.

Well done, dude! Very nice!

thanks. i've just got to finish it off with a sub install and the ICE will be complete :leer: but that wont be for some time.

How long did it take to just do the doors?

the fronts door cards took around 30-45min each to do. but i didn't do such a good job on the rear door cards. they took around 15-20min each to do. i got board and the sun stroke was getting the better of me...lol...but i also done the plastic speaker holder on each door. they took around 5min each to do. at some point in the future, i will be putting some dynomat on the inner door skin.

there is one thing i forgot to mention in my original post, i have bypassed the handbrake sensor (by using a solenoid). so i can now watch movies on the go. well, not me, the wife can. i can only listen to it :evil3: just got to keep an eye out if the cops if im playing a dvd in the front.

another update to the original post:
i have fitted the headrests with screens. and they work perfectly. but i did have a little trouble setting them up. i couldn't figure out how to get the sound to the rear screens (for the headphones to work). after deciphering the cd rom manual, i managed to get it working /woot2 i'll add some pics when i get a chance.