PDA

View Full Version : Found pressure leak

jb2815
17-04-2010, 06:00 AM
OK, finally borrowed an air compressor and hooked it up to the car to try and diagnose a suspected boost leak.

The first pic is how I hooked it up, and I pressured it to about 8psi according to my boost gauge.

The second pic is where the air is escaping from beneath the plug in the red circle and downward pressure stops the leak. What's this exactly and any ideas of the problem and solution..?

Gly
17-04-2010, 06:21 AM
fuel injector, new seal oring needed

jb2815
17-04-2010, 07:26 AM
Ah OK doesn't sound too bad.. is it easy to replace? Does it need an OEM part or can I find something at repco or supercheap..? Cheers

Gly
17-04-2010, 08:07 AM
you'll have to remove or lift the fuel rail,
take out the injector and replace the seal.

oem would be best, correct fitment and resistant to heat and fuel,
ive got a few used spares you can have if you want? dunno how good they are thou.

but cant imagine they cost much new from mitsi
the part number is MD087060 call them an ask for a price

jb2815
17-04-2010, 08:21 AM
Thanks, I'll give them a call on Monday and see what a new one costs.. It looks like the article "Changing the Injectors on a VR4" is going to come in handy too! :2thumbsup Hopefully I'll be able to tackle it and solve the problem.

Gly
17-04-2010, 08:30 AM
id do all 6 just in case if there not to expensive.
but this would involve taking off the manifold to get to the rear 3,

time for new plugs if you go to all that effort?

jb2815
17-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Funny you should say that, I've got 6 new NGK BKR7EIX-11 gapped to 0.8mm sitting here ready to go in, awesome timing actually! hmmm this is easily the most complex thing I've had to do, will have to have a good read of the guides.

jb2815
19-04-2010, 03:31 AM
They're $6 each from the local dealership so I ordered 6 of them. Is there any other reasonably simple maintainence jobs I can do while doing the lower injector seals and the spark plugs?

gareth001
19-04-2010, 10:37 AM
They're $6 each from the local dealership so I ordered 6 of them. Is there any other reasonably simple maintainence jobs I can do while doing the lower injector seals and the spark plugs?

The two gaskets are a good idea, along with the plug seals. In the UK you can get blueprint version which works out far cheaper as it comes with the plug seals. Instead of £60 GBP just for the seals from Mitsi!

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m22b0s1399p6900

jb2815
20-04-2010, 08:53 AM
I whipped out the plugs today, was strait forward, will do the injector seals tomorrow. The front plugs look just about new, and the rear plugs had a bit of gunk and crap on them, but the leads and the holes seemed bone dry. It looks like there's a bit of oil on the threads of a couple of the rear ones, does this suggest a problem?

Oh, I've put the new plugs in, done them up and done a further ~1/4 turn with the ratchet. How tight/loose do these have to be, I haven't got a torque wrench. The ones that came out seemed pretty tight.

elnevio
20-04-2010, 09:07 AM
That sounds plenty tight enough to me. /yes

Oil in the rear spark plug wells isn't surprising. The easiest fix to try first is to tighten down the rocker covers a little more. There are quite few bolts around the outside edge of the rocker covers, but also several (poss only two - can't remember right now!) bolts in the middle of the covers, near the spark plug wells. I did this as one of mine was full of oil - cleaned it out, tightened it down, and not seen oil in there again!

jb2815
21-04-2010, 07:27 AM
Tightened rocker cover bolts, removed fuel rails, changed lower injector seals, put everything back together, plugged the air compressor in and pressurised the system... NO LEAKS! /woot2

The old seals didn't look that bad actually, no cracks, but there was grit and stuff on them so that was probably the cause of one not sealing properly.

Initial tests of the car seem good. I can hear the factory BOV recirculating properly (there was no sound before). Not sure if power seems to be up, I'll have a play tomorrow.

Cheers all for your help :chugchug: