PDA

View Full Version : Snow vs Summer tyres

gareth001
19-04-2010, 01:46 PM
When I first got the VR-4 imported in November it came with Snow Tyres which of course were brilliant this winter. But now the summer looks like it's here they are not so great!

So I've finally swopped them over, I now have Dunlop S9000 instead of goodyear spikeless snow tyres! I've only driven about 20 miles, but the difference is dramatic. One of the main differences was the stiffness of the sidewall on the S9000's - I suddenly had less body roll.

At the same time I changed the brake discs and pads, Camskill blanks with EBC Redstuff. Will see how they perform once they are bedded in - gives me more excuses to drive the car now so I can get them bedded in quicker :p

Atik
19-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Yep, they'd make a massive difference. Hope you were aware that snow tyres generally have a much lower speed rating than 'regular' tyres so even at 70mph the tyres would be very close to its recommended max speed rating.

Good combo to do the brakes too /yes

gareth001
19-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Yep, they'd make a massive difference. Hope you were aware that snow tyres generally have a much lower speed rating than 'regular' tyres so even at 70mph the tyres would be very close to its recommended max speed rating.

Good combo to do the brakes too /yes

Mine apparently are rated at 100mph, so were no problem on UK roads...

Thanks, took a lot of reading up on brakes on here to find out what people recommended. Although of course there was always the carbotech option - but at over £100 and no planned track use, didn't see worth it.

Atik
19-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Good decision making there :D Carbotechs are good, but expensive and too much for just normal road use.

Also good stuff that you were aware of the speed rating which meant that you were not driving on 'dangerous' tyres.

bradc
19-04-2010, 08:06 PM
But keep hold of them for next winter.

ianb
20-04-2010, 12:46 AM
My snow tyres were brilliant, Nokian WR G2 225/50 R16 96V XL, memorably so in ski resort & snowy autoroutes & M20 up to 80mph, but yes now back on Pilot exalto 225/45/17 96V XL on evo rims much better in warmer weather, changed them early March. Back on late next December.

gareth001
20-04-2010, 08:46 AM
But keep hold of them for next winter.

Of course :p