PDA

View Full Version : Chip

RAN
22-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Ok, I have seen much complicated computer jiggery pokery talk surrounding chips and flash yada yada yada. However, I am a complete tech moron!

Is there anywhere I can just buy a ready formatted chip from that will give me a bit of extra boost etc? Plug it in and away I go. Hasn't been a problem with previous cars I've owned.

Thank you

Ran

Nutter_John
22-04-2010, 04:25 PM
which vr4 have you got and how old is it

Atik
22-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Kinky Afro and Nutter John are currently working on exactly such an item. Keep your ears and eyes open for an announcement this week :p

RAN
22-04-2010, 04:31 PM
I've got a Type s (i think - normal semi auto box etc) 1997
Can you not get chips imported from Japan.
Back in the day when I had a Corrado G60 I managed to get a chip from Germany, had to fit a smaller pulley to the supercharger too, but wasn't too much hassle.

RAN
22-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Cheers Atik, that would be ideal

Atik
22-04-2010, 04:35 PM
I've got a Type s (i think - normal semi auto box etc) 1997
Can you not get chips imported from Japan.
Back in the day when I had a Corrado G60 I managed to get a chip from Germany, had to fit a smaller pulley to the supercharger too, but wasn't too much hassle.
Yours appears to be a regular PFL Type S. As stated, there is a development on the go which will enable you to just 'swap' the ECU to a more tweaked one. An announcement was/is expected this week (if not, very soon) [points at NJ] :curtain:

Nutter_John
22-04-2010, 04:38 PM
yeah yeah we will make an annoucemnt over the weekend .

but back at the OP , the only real options are piggy backs , mines , vx-roms or standalones , well until kanji enterprises relase the super duper plug and pray ecu

andydckent
22-04-2010, 04:39 PM
yeah yeah we will make an annoucemnt over the weekend .

but back at the OP , the only real options are piggy backs , mines , vx-roms or standalones , well until kanji enterprises relase the super duper plug and pray ecu

Plug and PRAY... I like that!:coat

Atik
22-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Yep, pray that nothing goes BOOM when you put your foot to the floor :p

RAN
22-04-2010, 04:48 PM
piggy backs , mines , vx-roms or standalones

Erm, thanks Nutter John, appreciate the response. Should i disregard the quoted as a tech moron and just await the announcement which I will hopefully understand? :stars:

Nutter_John
22-04-2010, 04:48 PM
you will not have to pray as all our ecu's have / will be tested before release ( hence the long time it';s taken )

plug and pray comes in from the pc world when windows 95 annouced the new plug and play features ( they didn't work hence the plug n pray )

Turbo_Steve
22-04-2010, 05:42 PM
As john says, RAN, there are plenty of options, but none "just plug in".

You can get a Mines ECU from Japan, but it's wrong for our fuel and generally sets you back over £500 by the time it's in your grubby paws.

Similar with VX-ROMs etc etc.

You can fit a piggyback (MAP2 etc) but you'll need to get it mapped. Look at around £400+

you can try and find a Facelift ECU with a 7202 processor (they change hands for £150+) and then get it mapped by someone with a cable, dyno and time and knowledge (around £200+) and the ECU itself is as rare as hens teeth.

OR you can wait a couple of weeks for the Kanji ECU solution, which I am guessing is going to be on an "Exchange" basis, and (GUESSING) around the £200 mark. Possibly including postage. Possibly not.

I know which one I am waiting for!

Be aware that before you increase the power of the car, the VERY least you should do is think about what oil you're running, whether you need a transmission cooler (it's a good idea) and what kind of ATF you're running (If it's not amsoil, you're going to be changing it a lot more often with a remapped car).

I also wouldn't fit a chip without a boost gauge. A wideband AFR is comforting-to-have but not essential.