PDA

View Full Version : Interesting lesson learnt

wintertidenz
27-04-2010, 02:02 AM
Myself and Brad were working on my car on Sunday - replacement of the rear passenger's side wheel bearing.
We managed to get it out with the driveshaft in place and replace it fairly quickly, then took the car for a drive. All seemed to be going well until we drove round the roundabout near his place and heard/felt a loud BANG, then lost most drive. Pulled over and checked fluids etc - all seemed OK and no leaks.
Driving back we tried flooring it, the trans seemed to slip and the speedo was going up... we suspected trans had blown or torque converter on its way out! :end:
Got back to Brad's place and put the car in park, we heard a click from the park holding pin and the car crept forward slowly without the handbrake on.

So, symptoms so far:
Loss of power
'Freewheeling' when accelerating, but car increasing speed slowly while speedo going up
Loud BANG
Park not holding

So, we jacked up the car and checked it all out, there seemed to be a couple of funny sounds from the transmission.
We started to put in place contingency plans for swapping trans etc.

Finally we checked out the rear diff (as this is where we were working in the first place) - found the cup had popped out from the axle about 6-8mm! /Grrr
Pushed the cup back into place - park instantly started holding as it should, power back to all wheels, car behaving just as well as before.

So, the conclusion:
Rear/front driveshaft popping out can cause similar symptoms to the trans dying.
3WD Legnums/Galants do NOT work :)

scott.mohekey
27-04-2010, 02:27 AM
I bet that was nerve racking! Good to hear it all went well though.