PDA

View Full Version : Handling mods ?

Mark 4
28-04-2010, 07:03 PM
I've got Gowf coilovers here ready to fit. I've done the polybushes, drop links, upper and lower arms and track rod ends and will be ordering camber kits very soon. Swaybars from PT's group buy will be fitted when they arrive.
What other worthwhile mods are there ?

Wodjno
28-04-2010, 07:23 PM
I've got Gowf coilovers here ready to fit. I've done the polybushes, drop links, upper and lower arms and track rod ends and will be ordering camber kits very soon. Swaybars from PT's group buy will be fitted when they arrive.

Driving lessons :p

Gly
28-04-2010, 08:39 PM
legnum?? rear strut brace. makes a **** load of difference

Davezj
28-04-2010, 08:57 PM

when you say polybushes do you mean just the engine mounts or the full suspension kit.
full suspension kit consists of:-
rear end suspension (hub carrier mount points to arms , trailing arm to chassis, top arm to chassis ), rear shock tops, front shock tops, front upper suspension arm to chassis, front lower straight arm to chassis.

you probably will not need the the shock tops as you have Gawf's suspension.

this is the kit i intend to fit to mine from energy suspension.

and i believe Peter Thompson has this kit fitted to his car and was very happy with it.

ANTHONY
28-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Driving lessons :p and engine:oops: on a serious note what difference do new drop links make as i was thinling of changing mine when i fit new springs

Wodjno
28-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Drop links on there own ? No difference, unless there mullered..

ANTHONY
28-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Drop links on there own ? No difference, unless there mullered..fanks:dance:

Mark 4
28-04-2010, 09:13 PM

Had some.

Mark 4
28-04-2010, 09:14 PM
when you say polybushes do you mean just the engine mounts or the full suspension kit.
full suspension kit consists of:-
rear end suspension (hub carrier mount points to arms , trailing arm to chassis, top arm to chassis ), rear shock tops, front shock tops, front upper suspension arm to chassis, front lower straight arm to chassis.

you probably will not need the the shock tops as you have Gawf's suspension.

and i believe Peter Thompson has this kit fitted to his car and was very happy with it.

Done the lot mate.

Davezj
nothing if the ones you are taking off are still ok and not warn.

if the bar between the ball joint are flppy and easy to move, or tug the anti roll bar and listen/feel for clucks, if you can do either of these then change them.

you can get both from camskill about £23 a pair front and back. or get the eclipse ones off ebay, about the same price. the ones marked legnum vr4 are over priced at £38 a pair.

Edit:-
gosh you lot are quick with the postings. i was refering to the droplinks in the post.

Mark 4
legnum?? rear strut brace. makes a **** load of difference

Nah, mines a galloon.

HJM
28-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Cusco rear strut brace :)

Oops sorry - just seen yours is a saloon !

Can you get same for the galoon ???

Nick Mann
28-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Are you at the point where camber/castor adjustment is worth considering? I read on here recently somewhere about camber adjustment kits.

Nick Mann
28-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Heh! It has been bumped today - it was only a few posts below this on the new posts screen!

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46738

Mark 4
28-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Are you at the point where camber/castor adjustment is worth considering? I read on here recently somewhere about camber adjustment kits.

Yes Nick, I plan on a camber kit, Gowf mentoned castor to me bot don't know of any kits ?

Davezj
28-04-2010, 09:27 PM
caster is front and back movement on the upper arm right.

so if you know how far you need to go can you just slot the holes in the chassis, cut old treads out and weld on new nut to the inside of the chassis.

but you would only consider this if there really was no other way of doing it.

Mark 4
28-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Thanks Nick, I had seen that thread but not read it fully. Would others be interested in this ? I would be happy to organise a group buy.

Oblivion
29-04-2010, 02:01 AM
Damn it, my 'to buy' list just got a bit longer after reading this!

MackTheKnife
29-04-2010, 03:01 AM

+1

Totally agree. Get thee to a racetrack and find a good racing instructor.

miller
29-04-2010, 10:14 AM
+1

Totally agree. Get thee to a racetrack and find a good racing instructor.

Sorry but do you know Mark at all? Very strange comment to make to someone you dont know.

Kieran
29-04-2010, 10:44 AM

Obviously a moot point as far as Mark is concerned, but I fitted the same kit to Hermes. There are a couple of bushes at the back (the rear toe control arm inner and the rear middle lower arm (the one that's in line with the subframe) rear bush) that aren't covered, but I think the kit covers all the others, excepting the front shock to lower arm bush (which is not recommended to change).

It's a good kit. Not to bad on NVH, and much 'sharper' responses. Makes the car feel quite a bit more agile. You'll need a press though.

Oblivion
29-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Does anyone have links to where you can buy a full polybush suspension kit as mentioned? Poly engine mounts would be nice too! :)
I also found this http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21922&highlight=poly but following the link in there I dont see any options for purchasing unless I missed it somehow.

AlanDITD
29-04-2010, 02:50 PM
I think everythings been covered, other than a roll cage...i know excessive but it would really stiffen the chasis up....

can you get a c brace for these i think its that there called, kinda goes in the middle of the car?

AlanDITD
29-04-2010, 02:51 PM
what tyres you running at the minute as well mate?

Mark 4
29-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Sorry but do you know Mark at all? Very strange comment to make to someone you dont know.

Thanks Mike /thankyou

Mark 4
29-04-2010, 03:07 PM
what tyres you running at the minute as well mate?

I'm on the Toyo Proxes T1R at the moment but thinking of getting some 18" rims and lower profile tyres. That should help a bit but haven't decided what tyres to use.

AlanDITD
29-04-2010, 03:08 PM
oh i just though of another one.... weight distrubtion, have you got the battery in the boot yet?

Mark 4
29-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Yup, battery is in the boot.

Stiffening the chassis would be good but it's not something I have done before so don't really know how to go about it.

Wodjno
29-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Yup, battery is in the boot.

Stiffening the chassis would be good but it's not something I have done before so don't really know how to go about it.

Re-weld all the seams /yes

swinks
29-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Mark, have you got Cusco front lower strut bar?
Unfortunately my bl**y RPW downpipe prevent to fit one (seems sits too low).

Mark 4
29-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Mark, have you got Cusco front lower strut bar?
Unfortunately my bl**y RPW downpipe prevent to fit one (seems sits too low).

No I haven't. Asked Gowf about it and he said that the front subframe is so solid that it wouldn't stiffen it at all.

Nutter_John
29-04-2010, 04:35 PM
No I haven't. Asked Gowf about it and he said that the front subframe is so solid that it wouldn't stiffen it at all.

I agree if you can flex that subframe then a couple of pieces of metal going accross are going to do nothing at all

Davezj
29-04-2010, 04:36 PM

That is my view also.

What about getting a proper corner weight testing done on it and then sorting out the weight distribution as much as possible, i believe this will help handling greatly. but there is only so much you can do with a production car.

Atik
29-04-2010, 04:38 PM
And me :whistle:

Mark 4
29-04-2010, 04:44 PM
That is my view also.

What about getting a proper corner weight testing done on it and then sorting out the weight distribution as much as possible, i believe this will help handling greatly. but there is only so much you can do with a production car.

Totally agree Dave, there is only so much you can do. Will get the corner weights measured sometime - good thinking.

Wodjno
29-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Totally agree Dave, there is only so much you can do. Will get the corner weights measured sometime - good thinking.

So you gonna weld it up /bounce

Davezj
29-04-2010, 04:54 PM
what do you do to weld the seems?
is it just running another bead of weld over what is already there.
or is it a case of using a small metal strip that bridges the weld and then weld both edges of that.
or is it even simpler and just filling in the gaps in the welded seems where the weld stops and starts.

you could always weld the doors and boot shut, that would stiffer the chassis.

Nutter_John
29-04-2010, 04:57 PM
to seem weld you just make sure all of the seem is welded , this reduces flex as they is no pannel to pannel movement .

Yes I would guess that doing the boot and the doors would also stifen things as well

Mark 4
29-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Well I'm not gonna weld the doors and boot shut.

If someone tells me that seam welding is definately worthwhile then I may give it a go. Sounds like a pretty mammoth job though, lots of prep & refinishing plus removal and refitting of parts.

Wodjno
29-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Well I'm not gonna weld the doors and boot shut.

If someone tells me that seam welding is definately worthwhile then I may give it a go. Sounds like a pretty mammoth job though, lots of prep & refinishing plus removal and refitting of parts.

Well to do it properly you will need a full respray :upsidedow

Mark 4
29-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Yea, I realised that. And a good underseal, plus all the work involved. Plus the prep. Probs a bit too much for lil ole me.

Wodjno
29-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Yea, I realised that. And a good underseal, plus all the work involved. Plus the prep. Probs a bit too much for lil ole me.

Looks like a full roll cage is the only option then :D :rabbit:

Mark 4
29-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Nah, thought about that a while ago but Spirit posted up that they are not good if you have a prang on the road. Head hits bar v hard, not good.

Wodjno
29-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Nah, thought about that a while ago but Spirit posted up that they are not good if you have a prang on the road. Head hits bar v hard, not good.

Yours is Fat enuff :)

So it should be OK /Hyper

Mark 4
29-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Love you too

Baldy.