PDA

View Full Version : Transfer box/rear diff

jinglis
30-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Im Thinking of converting my fto to awd its already got a vr4 engine in it, just wondering if i could use a vr4 gearbox and transfer box and mate it to a evo 3 rear diff. is there any way to do away with the ayc so its just a mechanical system.

so im basically looking for info on the transfer box gearbox and prop. is the transfer box seperate form the gearbox or is it incorporated? does the prop have a centre mount? does anyone know if the fto and vr4 gearbox have the same mount locations?

also does anyone know if i could use my cusco diff from my fto box in a vr4 box

thanks

VR4WGN
30-04-2010, 08:28 PM
fto chassis wont allow for the 4wd i dont think...just use an open diff from a type-v in the rear(if you manage to get that far)

Nick Mann
30-04-2010, 10:46 PM
I'd be mildly supised if your cusco diff fitted in the 4WD box.

I've no idea if the mounts are the same for the FTO, ubt I'm pretty sure the FTO and galant FWD boxes are the same, so I'd be suprised if you can't find a mount that does the job somehow.

The transfer box bolts on, and I think is identical to the Evo 6. The propshaft is different to the Evo 6 but the rear diff is fundamentally the same. It might be interesting to look at an Evo propshaft, as the evo is a shorter wheelbase. Maybe connected to a non-AYC rear diff from a VR4, as the propshaft flange sits closer to the diff on the VR4.

I'd have a search on rear diffs, especialy by user on here called Gowf - there are many options and the evo/vr4 use pretty much the same fitments on most of them.

scott.mohekey
01-05-2010, 12:16 AM
also does anyone know if i could use my cusco diff from my fto box in a vr4 box

The vr4 front diff is in the transfer case, while the center diff is in the transmission. I'm assuming your talking about a front cusco diff, in which case I doubt it would even come close to fitting.

jinglis
01-05-2010, 12:08 PM
fto chassis wont allow for the 4wd i dont think...just use an open diff from a type-v in the rear(if you manage to get that far)

the colt boys do it so why shouldnt it work in an fto. yes i dont expect eveyrthing to bolt up, i know i have to cut out my boot floor and weld in some parts, change my fuel tank proably get a custom prop and maybe front drive shafts.

I'd be mildly supised if your cusco diff fitted in the 4WD box.

I've no idea if the mounts are the same for the FTO, ubt I'm pretty sure the FTO and galant FWD boxes are the same, so I'd be suprised if you can't find a mount that does the job somehow.

The transfer box bolts on, and I think is identical to the Evo 6. The propshaft is different to the Evo 6 but the rear diff is fundamentally the same. It might be interesting to look at an Evo propshaft, as the evo is a shorter wheelbase. Maybe connected to a non-AYC rear diff from a VR4, as the propshaft flange sits closer to the diff on the VR4.

I'd have a search on rear diffs, especialy by user on here called Gowf - there are many options and the evo/vr4 use pretty much the same fitments on most of them.

i need to use an evo3 rear subframe as this had the mounting points for the fto suspension arms. and the mountings for this need to be welded into the fto chassis. i dont think i would be able to run ayc as it has its own ecu to wire in.

i think the really difficult part of this might be getting front drive shafts to go from the vr4 box to the fto front hubs and getting a vr4 transfer box mated to a evo3 rear diff unless i can get a later evo model rear diff in the evo3 housing? i've asked a few q's on the mlr aswell.

The vr4 front diff is in the transfer case, while the center diff is in the transmission. I'm assuming your talking about a front cusco diff, in which case I doubt it would even come close to fitting.

i thought this would probably be the case i was just being hopeful as i knew that the fto box and galant fwd box were very similar.

couple more questions then

does the vr4 gearbox have a seperate output shafts for the transfer box and frotn axles?

couls you use a cusco evo tarmac gear in the tranfer box to run 35% front 65% rear toeque distribution to make things really fun?

can you get lsd'd for the vr4 front centre and rear?

i'll go have another search for diff's

thanks for your replies they have been very helpful and the more i read and ask questions the more this is seeming possible

Nick Mann
01-05-2010, 12:29 PM
The VR4 manual box is the same as the evo 5 speed box. All internals are swappable. It's only the casing that is different. I'm pretty sure that LSD's are available for the VR4/Evo, but I don't know anyone who has put a front/centre LSD in a VR4. The VR4 does tend to split the torque with a rear bias under hard acceleration, but not as much as 65%. I think the number is between 55 and 60%.

The gearbox, as stated, contains the centre diff. The transfer box contains some kind of viscous coupling for the rear wheels, if I understand it correctly, and the front diff. Assuming I understand the system correctly: The gearbox has two shafts connecting to the transfer box, one of which is for the front wheels and one for the rears. Both of these shafts are hollow, the transfer box containing the front diff feeds the two front drive shafts. The passenger side driveshaft feeds back through the hollow gearbox output shafts.

I can take a couple of quick photos of that later, but bear in mind that the box I have got lying on the ground is an auto.

wintertidenz
02-05-2010, 07:55 AM
Kenneth has used an Evo Tarmac gear in his ACD transfer case conversion, look under the Transmission forum.