PDA

View Full Version : Any Washing Machine technicians on Board ?

Wodjno
30-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Our washing machine just stopped working :(
Deffo summat electrical /yes
Blows the trip each time you try and switch it on. It had a sealed Plug fitted, so i cut that off and fitted another just in case something had gone wrong inside the plug. But still the same..

Had a look around inside and can't see anything that looks black or burn't !

Next port of call is the little unit that the power wires go into.. I have some pics but have no idea how to test it to see if it's doing what it should or not..
So if anyone can help, then it will be very much appreciated /yes

Cross referencing the number off the side of the unit i come up with this: http://www.standardsdirect.org/standards/standards1/StandardsCatalogue24_view_10531.html

If it helps any ?

Cheers

Wodj

miller
30-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Maybe you need to replace the sayc in it? :whistle: ;)

Wodjno
30-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Maybe you need to replace the sayc in it? :whistle: ;)

LOL.. I think S-AYC is on hold at the min :thumbsdow Would be nice to have any AYC working :annoyed:

miller
30-04-2010, 07:55 PM
LOL.. I think S-AYC is on hold at the min :thumbsdow Would be nice to have any AYC working :annoyed:

lol, anyways sorry Dude for not posting a helpfull reply.

Have you tried kicking it?

ANTHONY
30-04-2010, 08:03 PM
is the drum moving freely?

Wodjno
30-04-2010, 08:06 PM
is the drum moving freely?

It's all locked up dude.. Can't get it open as it's electronically locked :(
Unless theres a emergency access button somewhere ??

Turbo_Steve
30-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Usually the locks are based on a bi-metal strip - once that cools they generally open again.

From experience, I would suggest that something critical has failed (e.g. the motor or control board) and it's not worth repairing. I've been down this road a couple of times, and the failure of a minor component is almost always linked to the something serious in a more major one.

It certainly sounds that way in this case.

Wodjno
30-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Sounds like S-AYC is out then /Hmmm

So.. Anyone know how to test these bitz ?

jb2815
30-04-2010, 09:42 PM
What do you mean blows the trip? Does it operate a circuit breaker, or even an RCD?

Wodjno
30-04-2010, 09:46 PM
yes.. the RCD /yes

SGHOM
30-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Door interlock is easy to open. Take the lid off & prise it with a screwdriver.

jb2815
30-04-2010, 10:09 PM
yes.. the RCD /yes

Some sort of earth fault, hopefully the motor isn't burnt out. Is it still under warranty?

Wodjno
30-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Some sort of earth fault, hopefully the motor isn't burnt out. Is it still under warranty?
I was thinking along these lines.. Just don't know where to start testing :huh:

SGHOM
30-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Without stating the bleeding obvious... If it's a residual fault, are you sure it's the washer? :upsidedow

jb2815
30-04-2010, 10:29 PM
An insulation resistance tester would be good to test between the motor coil and the frame of the machine. Failing that, look around for any broken wires or anything. One of the wires going to the drain pump on mine just became uncrimped and fell out, probably due to vibration etc. One of yours maybe making contact with the frame to trip RCD.

Turbo_Steve
30-04-2010, 10:31 PM
That doofer you've posted a picture looks like a noise surpressor (stops the machine interfering with your telly, HiFi etc).

TBH the machine should work without it.
If you meter continuity from the L and N to the earth at the plug, I am guessing it goes hi?

Disconnect the surpressor and try the same trick on it. If it goes hi, you've found your fault.

I'd suggest that if the surpressor has died, it's because the machine is doing something else nasty, though.....as above, probably the motor isn't healthy, though it COULD just be brushes if it's an older design (and not one of these fangled digital motors)

Wodjno
30-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Without stating the bleeding obvious... If it's a residual fault, are you sure it's the washer? :upsidedow
I tried it in 3 different sockets on 2 different circuits ...
And the obvious is only something that is obvious to someone who obviously knows exactly what there doing /yes

:D