PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Mods : Can You Feel It ?

EdmundVR4
18-06-2003, 09:06 PM
Hey everybody, My VR4 still has the stock exhaust system and I'm thinking of upgrading. What I would like to know from whoever has replaced their stock exhaust system with aftermarket and/or custom systems, if you can really feel the difference in power ? Perhaps you can let us know your opinions & the level of your modification too : re; rear barrel only : cat back system (including rear barrel); turbo back with and/or without cats : down pipe: size 2.5" or 3" : mandrel or crush bent piping. Complete system.
How would you rate this modification ? Best, 2nd best, 3rd best bang for the buck.
Should I change my exhaust ?
All opinions, comments, impressions appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed

Brind
18-06-2003, 09:35 PM
I plus many others have gone for an HKS Super Drager cat back.
I don't have any before and after storys since I bought the car with it.
After reading other comments about gear changing etc it appears that the HKS cars stay in gear longer and the torque has moved higher in the rev range, this is also due to the HKS piping being 3inch.

It looks good without question but if I could change anything I'd want a thicker tail piece like those on MagneX exhausts, they seem to finish with a bevelled edge which makes it look very solid.
They sound very good too.

If you want the added performance then by all means get one but if the gains aren't really benificial to you at the moment then perhaps wait until you have to buy a new exhaust.
If it ain't broke don't fix it, sort of thing.

Spirit
18-06-2003, 11:02 PM
I am one of the guys Brind mentioned. I changed my stock exhaust to a HKS Super Drager last weekend. Love the sound it makes (not too intrusive) and I agree it does stay in gear longer now.

Cannot say about performance yet as had new discs/pads fitted at the same time and I am still bedding them in so I haven't tanked it yet.

It's a damn fine piece of kit though and worth the money.

Pete

-LegnumVR4-
19-06-2003, 06:21 AM
I changed the down pipe (no cat and upped the size to 2.5inch) and the complete pipping and muffler with the Fujitsubo system. When u put your foot down u really felt the car haul harder down the road, a surprised yell of '****!' sums it up :D

I would say it's the 1st on my list.

EdmundVR4
21-06-2003, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the responses. Most likely I will have a 3" custom system made, from the turbo back with no cats and as free flowing as possible.

Ed

-LegnumVR4-
21-06-2003, 01:10 PM
When u design the new down pipes (front pipe) from the turbo's u need to allow enough room for the rear turbos down pipe.

Go here to read up on designing the new down pipe, hope it helps:

http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=372