PDA

View Full Version : VR4 Aluminium Radiators - Group Buy??

VR4 MAD
01-05-2010, 07:04 AM
Warning............ long post follows..............:oops:

Right, rather than continue the previous thread, see here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=527603), I'm starting afresh with some definite information/details, a delivery date, and pricing, so people can decide if they wish to purchase one of these radiators or not.

For those who missed what was on offer before, here are details of what I have been able to arrange.

These are a fully Aluminium radiator, designed to be an OEM radiator replacement but are thicker at 40mm compared to the standard radiator at only 26mm thick. The design is similar to the Golpher brand items the OZVR4 guys have had success with. See these links here (http://golpher.en.alibaba.com/product/249561689-209324545/Racing_radiator_GALANT_VR4_Legnum_96_01_MT.html) and here (http://www.michaelautoparts.com.au/p/294/96-01-Mitsubishi-Galant-VR-4-6A13T-AT-375x718x40mm.html).

They are same design as found in manual VR4's, which means they DO NOT have the internal ATF cooler the radiators in the Tiptronic VR4 have. This is not an issue if you run an external ATF cooler though.

They are being imported and sold by Scarles Ltd in Auckland. They are manufactured in China by the same company that supplies Scarles with radiators for EVO's, STi's, Skylines etc, which are, by all accounts, of a very good quality. As Scarles web site is being upgraded at the moment, I can't link to that, but here is a link (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Radiators-cooling-systems/auction-286080338.htm) to their radiators currently for sale on TradeMe.

Now I've not seen one of these radiators yet, so can't be 100% sure of the quality or the fit but I'm assured the quality is guaranteed and that they will fit.

Enough back ground info, now the important stuff........... :d

Delivery:............. Scarles have ordered 20 units in this shipment. They ship from China on the 15th May and will take approximately two weeks to arrive in NZ.

PRICE: ............. 'Pre Order' pricing for:

1 -9 units............ $260.00 including GST if full payment is made before 15th May.

10 -19 units..........$240.00 including GST if full payment is made before 15th May.

All 20 units............$220.00 including GST if full payment is made before 15th May.

Price after the 15th May will be $309.99 each with no discount for multiple orders.

Now I don't expect we will get enough interest for all twenty but even at $260, this is a very good price and will not be repeated. It is even cheaper than Aussies get the Golpher radiators at............:smug:

So from the previous thread then, we had 5 people interested............... see here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=486209&postcount=95).

Will everyone who is thinking of getting one of these please post expressing their interest as soon as possible so we can see if we can get 10 confirmed orders well before the 15th please.

Cheers guys.

Wynn

/toycar

VR4 MAD
01-05-2010, 07:10 AM
Scarles radiator order list:

1) VR4 MAD - Paid

2) Candee - Paid

3) VR4WGN - Paid

4) Kenneth - Paid

5) Adie - Paid

6) Smohekey - Paid

7) Adam.Findlay - Paid

8) Munkywrench

9) ????

10) ????????????

Offer has been extended by a week so now this order list will close Friday 21st May so people can confirm their order and get their payment in to Scarles at the Pre Order pricing.

Full payment will be needed before the 22nd May. Payment method and details will be sent to those who have ordered by PM shortly.

CANDEE
01-05-2010, 12:24 PM
Bumping this up.. :)

I know this has been a while, but there have been some issues in the background. :smash:

Nick Mann
01-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Please could you let me know about shipping to the UK?

VR4WGN
01-05-2010, 12:42 PM
thort all us that originally posted for 1 wudav been included?? am i not cool enuf to be included?? lol.. im in boys.... love 2 but id beter curb and only buy 1

VR4 MAD
02-05-2010, 04:49 AM
Hey Q, wasn't excluding you. Just didn't want to assume you and the others would still want or need one, as lots of time has passed and peoples situations change. And many may not be in a financial position to be able to get one now for example............/duh

Just safer to let people express renewed interest. Nearer the close-off time, if any of the people on the previous list haven't responded, I was going to PM them to be sure they knew this 'Group Buy' was on again................/secret

thort all us that originally posted for 1 wudav been included?? am i not cool enuf to be included?? lol.. im in boys.... love 2 but id beter curb and only buy 1

VR4 MAD
02-05-2010, 04:53 AM
Will ask but from previous experience, it won't be cheap, as we are on opposite sides of the planet..............:dizzy2:

Will let you know an approximate cost, as soon as I have an answer.

Please could you let me know about shipping to the UK?

Nick Mann
02-05-2010, 09:05 AM
Thanks. I suspect you will be right, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

It appears that the only aluminium option in the UK is a very poor effort, so it might be interesting.

Could you find out an option for shipping 5 too? Maybe that would help costs...

VR4 MAD
03-05-2010, 04:23 AM
Right, more information which people might find helpful..................:d

Shipping costs to deliver said radiators to your door........... NZ purchasers only. All costs per radiator.

Within Auckland............ $4.00

Rest of North Island...... $15.00

South Island................ $20.00

Delivery will be by Fastway Couriers.

Hope that helps.............../Wave

PS...........All 'rep' greatfully excepted............/notworthy

wintertidenz
03-05-2010, 04:25 AM
I would love to buy one, but I won't have the money for quite a while yet... so count me out :(

VR4 MAD
03-05-2010, 04:28 AM
Nick, I can get shipping costs but shipper needs your location and postal code. Doesn't need to be full address, just city and suburb with Postal code will do...........:D

PM me if you wish or post here.

/toycar

Thanks. I suspect you will be right, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

It appears that the only aluminium option in the UK is a very poor effort, so it might be interesting.

VR4 MAD
04-05-2010, 04:42 AM
No worries mate.......... fully understand........ /Hissy

Not to worry though, I'd suggest that all twenty Scarles are shipping in are not going to be snapped up by us, so there will be some left at the full retail price and available till they sell out. That may allow you time to get the 'readies' together to get one...........:hat:

I would love to buy one, but I won't have the money for quite a while yet... so count me out :(

:bump: Any other takers, times running out as we need these ordered, paid for and sorted before the 15th of this month (May)...........:bump:

VR4 MAD
07-05-2010, 04:25 AM
:bump2:

Just to keep this thread in front of people so they don't miss it............/JawDroppi

And here's a picture of what the radiators look like to maybe get people interested............../bananaroc

:bump2:

Kenneth
07-05-2010, 06:06 AM
As per the original thread, I am good for one.

Adie
07-05-2010, 07:02 AM
Put me down for one please!

VR4 MAD
07-05-2010, 12:54 PM
And then there was 5 orders............. cheers guys.............:bananadan

As per the original thread, I am good for one.

Keep them coming and we can get the discounted price for 10 orders..............

Put me down for one please.

Post No. 2 updated with names of those who have ordered.

/toycar

VR4 MAD
10-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Nick, finally got some answers regarding shipping costs to the UK for these.............../JawDroppi

So far these costings are for air freight only. Sea freight costs still to come...............:(

There are two air freight cost options............ cheaper has no tracking and the other more expensive does have tracking. These costs are in NZ dollars.

For one radiator............ $187 for tracked, $137 untracked.

5 units shipped as one package............. $525 tracked, $367 untracked,

There is a little uncertainty about whether the five boxes stacked together will fit within the maximum dimensions for air freight but the weight doesn't seem to be an issue though..........:undecided

Hope that helps a little. At the moment, as you can see, we haven't enough to get the 10 unit reduced pricing, so we are proceeding on the assumption we are paying $260 per unit but if you do order 5 we will be refunded any over payment............. /woot2

Do let us know what you are likely to do.

Cheers.

/toycar

.........................It appears that the only aluminium option in the UK is a very poor effort, so it might be interesting.

VR4 MAD
10-05-2010, 11:06 AM
To all the NZ guys getting these............... remember full payment is needed to be made to Scarles BEFORE the end of business this Friday..............:deal2: :uhoh2: /bat

I will PM you all soon with their account number details etc, or alternatively, for those in Auckland, you can drop into them and make the payment directly.

If there is anyone who can't do an Internet banking transfer of the money directly into their account, Scarles do have PayPal, but they would really prefer you didn't pay them that way if at all possible.

Stay tuned for further information as it comes to hand................../popcorn

/toycar

Dom B
10-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Are these the same
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MITSUBISHI-GALANT-ALUMINIUM-HIGH-FLOW-RACE-RADIATOR-96-/130341977877?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e58fcbf15

bow dn
11-05-2010, 06:54 AM
Keen but got other obligation at the moment, but thanks for the Pm i appreciate the thought.

scott.mohekey
11-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Put me down for one!

Nick Mann
11-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Shipping costs are higher than I hoped. I'm not sure I want to commit to buying any - the end price I'd have to sell them at would potentially be too much for people to be interested.

Thanks very much for working it out - good luck.

VR4 MAD
11-05-2010, 11:28 AM
That's understandable, but don't give up yet. I'm still awaiting the surface shipping costs which should be cheaper, though slower............../juggle
Just keep watching here for updates............:singer:

/toycar

Shipping costs are higher than I hoped. I'm not sure I want to commit to buying any - the end price I'd have to sell them at would potentially be too much for people to be interested.

Thanks very much for working it out - good luck.

Adam.Findlay
11-05-2010, 11:29 AM
i would be in but i just ate a brake disc at the race track on sunday so thats setting me back 310 to replace my front discs. if i didnt have to pay that i would be in with a grin because the temp needle was inching upward near the end of the day

VR4 MAD
11-05-2010, 11:45 AM
All good.............. remember they are bringing in 20 units, so any we don't buy now at the cheap price will be available through Scarles, all be it at the higher retail pricing, till they are all sold.............../woot2 :thumbsup:

Keen but got other obligation at the moment, but thanks for the Pm i appreciate the thought.

VR4 MAD
11-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Yep, your name has been added to the list............./woot2 :thumbsup:

I'll be sending everyone who's on the list, a PM tomorrow evening with the payment instructions, so keep an eye out for that...........:anxious:

That will hopefully give everyone enough time to get the money through to Scarles before friday night.............:rolleyes4

/toycar

Put me down for one!

VR4 MAD
12-05-2010, 04:32 AM
Speaking with the guys at Scarles and they have given us a time extension to get the money in to them for these radiators............./notworthy

We now have till the 22nd May Saturday............../secret

This may help some who were not getting one because of the short time to get the money together.

The radiators ship from the manufacturer on the 15th May and are due in NZ on the 10th June.

/toycar

thfelipeth
12-05-2010, 06:01 AM
i want one :(

Adam.Findlay
12-05-2010, 06:16 AM
if thats the case put me down for one. payment pending of course

Adam.Findlay
12-05-2010, 06:17 AM
could combine shipping between smohekey and i if that can make it cheaper?

VR4 MAD
12-05-2010, 09:08 AM
So does that mean you are going to get one with us?.............:rolleyes3

Just a little confused as to whether "want" = 'have the money so will get one'.................... :dizzy2:

If so, I'll add your name to the list, just let me know what you are doing.

Cheers,

/toycar

i want one :(

VR4 MAD
12-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Order list has been updated............:p

Regarding combined shipping cost to CHCH, I'll ask and get back to you.

/toycar

Adam.Findlay
12-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Order list has been updated............:p

Regarding combined shipping cost to CHCH, I'll ask and get back to you.

/toycar
sweet man sounds good. next thursday i should have the cash so ill let you know. if you could pm me your cell num for direct contact would be great

VR4 MAD
12-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Just so we are clear, I'm not collecting the money for these and passing it to Scarles. Everyone needs to make their own payment directly to Scarles.

I will PM everyone with Scarles bank account details so peoples can do their own Internet transfer when the want to, so long as it's before the 22nd May.

I'll PM my cell anyway.

Cjheers
Wynn

/toycar

sweet man sounds good. next thursday i should have the cash so ill let you know. if you could pm me your cell num for direct contact would be great

Dom B
12-05-2010, 12:19 PM
These do look very similar on Uk ebay

VR4 MAD
12-05-2010, 11:13 PM
They could well be from the same Chinese manufacturer as ours, as they distribute them under several brand names such as Golpher for one, as well as unbranded examples.

Our OZVR4 friends have been getting and fitting the Golpher ones with good results and report the quality as good too, small issues with bottom fan mounts aside.......... :shocked:

Now I have looked at that eBay example and no where does it give any dimensions for their radiator, especially important is the missing thickness........./hammer /whip :thumbsdow

This needs to be checked out as there is a 26mm deep OEM replace available as well.......... /JawDroppi

Also a close look at the image, assuming it is of the actual unit, has it looking very similar to ours, but........... the fan mounts look a bit different. Now that may or may not be an issue. Just something to watch.

Bottom line.......... from the information on that eBay example, I can't be sure whether it's the same or not......... sorry Dom

/toycar

These do look very similar on Uk ebay

Nick Mann
12-05-2010, 11:25 PM
I've bought an ebay jobby. Let me know what dimensions you need to compare - I'll be fitting it friday morning so I'll need to know by then. (Assuming it arrives tomorrow as promised!)

VR4 MAD
13-05-2010, 01:50 AM
Well basically everything should be the same as a standard OEM radiator except it's 40mm deep as compared to the 26mm factory unit.

The most important points to compare/check are obviously the radiator mounts and the factory fan mounting points, I would have said.

Nick, did you find out the eBay radaitors depth before you bought it? What depth is it?

/toycar

I've bought an ebay jobby. Let me know what dimensions you need to compare - I'll be fitting it friday morning so I'll need to know by then. (Assuming it arrives tomorrow as promised!)

bow dn
13-05-2010, 02:14 AM
All good.............. remember they are bringing in 20 units, so any we don't buy now at the cheap price will be available through Scarles, all be it at the higher retail pricing, till they are all sold.............../woot2 :thumbsup:

Thanks Bro, Love your work

VR4 MAD
13-05-2010, 09:28 AM
OK more news regarding shipping for local (NZ) orders............/woot2

This is in answer to Adams question.

Yes, combining orders results in savings but only two radiators can be shipped as a single package though. Tying the boxes together should only cost one $20 courier ticket per package to CHCH according to Scarles ................:chugchug:

We will be doing the same thing to Wellington too............:thumbsup:

We must be very sure to let Scarles know which radiators are going together and be sure that they know why the two peoples shipping cost has been halved.

Now can we get three more orders to get the per unit cost down to $240..............:mexicanwav

/toycar

Adam.Findlay
13-05-2010, 10:29 AM
start private messaging nz members. other then taylor here in chch i dont know anyone who would be keen for one. but come on nort island people

VR4WGN
13-05-2010, 10:44 AM
confirming mine to be manual ofcourse.. i dont own any auto legnums!!!!

VR4WGN
13-05-2010, 09:05 PM
I will PM you all soon with their account number details etc, or alternatively, for those in Auckland, you can drop into them and make the payment directly.

still waiting to make paymnt sir

MunkyWrench
18-05-2010, 02:31 AM
I'm in.

Please PM me the account details.

I'm in wellington so if you could fill me in on whether mine can be paired up with someone elses that would be good.

CANDEE
18-05-2010, 03:15 AM
I'm in.

I'm in wellington so if you could fill me in on whether mine can be paired up with someone elses that would be good.
I have spoken to Wynn about this and he will pm you about the details etc. :)

J

scott.mohekey
18-05-2010, 04:09 AM
Wynn, I have made payment for myself and Adam as well as the combined shipping charge of $20. I've emailed Andrew with all the details needed.

VR4 MAD
18-05-2010, 06:27 AM
Cheers for joining in......... /welcome3

OK, sent you a PM with the payment instructions. As Scarles can only send them in pairs, at the moment there's no one to share costs with, but keep an eye out in case there's another late comer from Wellington wanting one.......... :D

Cheers.

/toycar

I'm in.

I'm in wellington so if you could fill me in on whether mine can be paired up with someone else that would be good.

VR4 MAD
18-05-2010, 06:28 AM
Cheers for the update.

Post No.2 updated.

/toycar

Wynn, I have made payment for myself and Adam as well as the combined shipping charge of $20. I've emailed Andrew with all the details needed.

Kenneth
18-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Payment and Email sent

VR4 MAD
18-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Cheers Kenneth........... :happy: Order list updated. Only two peoples payments to go.

Roll of on the 10th of June.......... :pimp2:

/toycar

Payment and Email sent

VR4WGN
19-05-2010, 01:38 AM
have we got the cheaper amount or not?? if not i might buy 2,just gota look at finances this week

MunkyWrench
19-05-2010, 05:50 AM
I think with 9 we deserve the $240 price point.

CANDEE
19-05-2010, 05:53 AM
have we got the cheaper amount or not?? if not i might buy 2,just gota look at finances this week
As far as Im aware we only have 8 so far.. So we need two more...

J

VR4 MAD
19-05-2010, 06:08 AM
Correct, I'm afraid...........:furious4:

/toycar

As far as Im aware we only have 8 so far.. So we need two more...

J

VR4 MAD
20-05-2010, 11:18 PM
Right, has everyone paid yet? Or planning to tonight, I hope. There are two yet to pay as far as I know and you know who you are..............:evilgrin:

Just let us know when the money has been sent..........:happy:

Cheers guys............:5shots:

Now, last chance to get the 10 orders for the cheaper pricing. Q has indicated he'll get a second radiator, if we can get one more person, to make up the 10........... any takers?........:seeking:

/toycar

Adie
27-05-2010, 10:51 PM
Sorry forgot to update this but I paid too

VR4 MAD
28-05-2010, 04:08 AM
All good Adrian, I updated the list (Post No.2) back on the 25th when I got asked by Scarles about your contact details when they received the payment................ LOL

/toycar

Sorry forgot to update this but I paid too

Adam.Findlay
28-05-2010, 05:18 AM
sweet when do you think the rads will land in chch

VR4 MAD
30-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Can't give you a definitive date, sorry. All I can pass along was what I was told and that is the ship docks in Auckland on the 15th June from the manufacturer.

How long it takes to get through all the customs inspections etc, and into Scarles hands I've no idea. The impression was that it should not be more than a few days and then they will courier them straight to you.

Maybe you will have them by the 21st June, but don't hold me to that............/wall

That help?

/toycar

sweet when do you think the rads will land in chch

Adam.Findlay
31-05-2010, 10:38 PM
yeah man haha i know you were just the "hey pay them" man, haha just an estimate was all i was after. im having to change my clutch soon so i figured if i save up enough for that then i can put it all in at once :)

Kenneth
01-06-2010, 08:07 AM
Hi mate!

The order should be arriving this week :) hopefully have them sent out on Monday!

Thanks,

Andrew Scarr (Sales Executive)
... [some details removed from here]
www.Scarles.co.nz

Got that from him today.

Adam.Findlay
02-06-2010, 12:28 AM
yip i txt him yesterday off the number listed on the scarles website he said they arrive friday and should ship out monday

VR4 MAD
08-06-2010, 04:17 AM
Been in touch with Andrew at Scarles and he tells me they are packaging them up now and sending them out to us today (Tuesday 8th) ................... /notworthy

We should starting seeing them from tomorrow onwards............ /megawoot

IMPORTANT - Andrew has asked that you contact him as soon as your radiator arrives, so he knows for sure which deliveries have been successful and whether he needs to chase the couriers if any go astray.......... /duh /bat

He would also appreciate your feedback on quality and fitment etc as soon as you either get them fitted or do a comparison with the standard units......... /secret

Not long to wait now............ :sunny:

/toycar

scott.mohekey
08-06-2010, 04:20 AM
Great news!

VR4WGN
08-06-2010, 09:21 PM
i havent heard boo form him,i thort we were getting confirmation emails of some sort?

VR4WGN
09-06-2010, 11:04 PM
got mine yesterday,was at work and i was at my shop but opened it right now,loving it,but without being too fussy im not too impressed with the quality of the bow in the top tank tho.. very noticeable

scott.mohekey
09-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Adam's and mine arrived this morning. Didn't have time to open the package and check them over though.

Adie
10-06-2010, 09:03 AM
I got a text from him the other day, I work just down the road but haven't had time to drop by and pick it up :( ... maybe tomorrow.

scott.mohekey
10-06-2010, 09:06 AM
I've had a look at mine now.. I can see what Q means about the bow in the top of the radiator. It's quite a visible bend. Are everyone's like that?

Adam.Findlay
10-06-2010, 09:30 AM
havnt had a close look but ill check mine tomorow

VR4WGN
11-06-2010, 02:13 AM
Update us please all the other gb buyers please..
I don't know wether it's acceptable or not so i want to see everyone elses outcomes.

Adam are you happy with yours??

scott.mohekey
11-06-2010, 02:24 AM
Here's two pictures I took last night of my one. The first is just the radiator, and in the second I've put a straight edge against the bottom of the top end, and you can plainly see the amount of bend.

/uploaded/53637/1276165031.jpg

uploaded/53637/1276164880.jpg

VR4 MAD
11-06-2010, 04:23 AM
Hi guys.

Not been ignoring people or trying to duck this issue, just been really busy with work stuff............... :(

Right, I've passed along to Scarles the concerns over this distortion of the top tank and have asked they check the remaining radiators they have to see if all are similar.

I haven't seen my radiator yet so can't comment or even confirm mine has the same issue or not................ :uhoh2:

Once I have confirmation whether this is a general issue or just applies to some and not all, we'll go from there as to what to do next............. /Hmmm

I'm sorry about this but it is rather beyond my control but Scarles have reiterated the radiators are covered by warranty, so if there's a major fitment issue we'll get it sorted one way or the other.............. :embarasse

I will post back here as soon as I hear some news.

Cheers.

/toycar

I've had a look at mine now.. I can see what Q means about the bow in the top of the radiator. It's quite a visible bend. Are everyone's like that?

scott.mohekey
11-06-2010, 04:26 AM
Not having a go Wynn. Just bringing it to your attention. I'll try a test fit in my spare chassis tonight.

Adie
11-06-2010, 05:52 AM
I just checked mine, and the top has a bend too:(

TBH I'm not happy with it, and am quite tempted to take it back.

VR4 MAD
11-06-2010, 06:23 AM
Didn't think you were.......... and Q passed along his comments too, which is what Andrew at Scarles wanted us to do as well.

Good luck with the test fitting. Do please let us know how it goes and take plenty of pictures too............. especially (God forbid), there are any fitting issues............... :bigcry:

Cheers

/toycar

Not having a go Wynn. Just bringing it to your attention. I'll try a test fit in my spare chassis tonight.

Kenneth
11-06-2010, 06:56 AM
anyone fitted theirs yet? If so, get a picture of the bowing in relationship to the top panel on the car. If it looks excessively rude I might complain.

Otherwise, I would be inclined to think the product is worth what was paid for it. So long as it works correctly and has more cooling capacity than the standard item, I have no issues.

Thats my view only of course!

Thanks for your hard work Wynn :)

scott.mohekey
11-06-2010, 08:40 AM
Ok, I've trial fitted the radiator in my spare chassis. I had to take the rubber out of the bottom mounts for it to be even close to fitting, but its still not a very good fit.

I don't recall whether they were supposed to slot straight in or whether some modification was required, but I can certainly say that they will not fit straight in as they are.

Lines up ok on this side.
uploaded/53637/1276239940.jpg

Not a chance on this side.
uploaded/53637/1276241484.jpg

Not overly even across the top. You can see that its lower on the right side than it is in the left side.
uploaded/53637/1276241724.jpg

The left side bottom mount, without the rubber in it.
uploaded/53637/1276241880.jpg

The right side bottom mount, without the rubber in it.
uploaded/53637/1276241926.jpg

Now, if these were not meant to be a direct fit, then the bowing on the top end of the radiator isn't really that much of an issue once installed.. however, if they are supposed to be a direct fit, then there is serious problems.

scott.mohekey
12-06-2010, 06:37 AM
Bump

VR4 MAD
12-06-2010, 09:16 AM
Hey there Scott, well I'm afraid you are correct in saying there's problems with the fit................ /Hissy /wall :furious3:/pan :veryangry /Grrr /duh /grr /bat :end:

Jeremy (CANDEE) and I had a test fitting on a car today (Thanks Pierre for the use of the shell........./GJ ) and there's no chance it would fit without some quite extensive modifications..........:huh:

The problem is two fold.........

1) The radiator top and bottom mounts basically are not far enough apart to meet the factory mounting points.

2) The top (and maybe the bottom too??) mounts have been placed centrally within the radiators width, whereas the factory radiator top mount is not and is nearer the front of the radiator, effectively making it sit further back into the engine bay. The central position on the new radiator has the opposite effect and as it's a deeper unit too, this moves the front face even nearer the front of the car and the body metal the radiator mounts to. In our test fitting it was contacting this and would be rubbing............./pan In time it may even wear through........... /Grrr

We did take pictures to document these issues, though I haven't got those yet so can't post them here.

I will be sending those through to Scarles to highlight the fitment issues and basically asking that they take them back as the aren't as promised, that is a replacement for the OEM radiator.

Apologies to everyone over this as I feel somewhat responsible, though all I could do was go off the suppliers promises of an 'exact fit', which we obviously haven' t got.

Sorry guys ................. :coat

Overall a very very unsatisfactory state of affairs................ :(

VR4WGN
12-06-2010, 11:35 PM
its not your fault Wynn you did us a big favour ,you didnt make them so your NOT to blame at all ok.. we apreciate every little thing youv done for us,your very onto it and thank you for devoting your time for this GB

Adam.Findlay
13-06-2010, 03:16 AM
definatly not yor fault wynn I and im sure every one else here commends you for your efforts just a shame the product was not what was promised by scarles.
if it does require that much modification and the fit is still not right i cant see me fitting it for a long time,
i will be folowing the forum incase a replacement is sorted or something like that.
and yes my top tank is warped like scott and Q both mentioned, al though i dont think its as bad as the picture scott put up. seems to be straight-ish on the right end but sags where the cap has been welded on. the heat must have warped the alloy during welding. still not acceptable for a "made to fit item"

hope scarles can sort it and its not going to be a headache for any or everyone involved

VR4 MAD
13-06-2010, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys................:happy:

I will be contacting Scarles today to pass along what we have found about them just not fitting.

What I would appreciate though, is some feedback from those who got these as to what they want to happen from here.

Myself, I would prefer a full refund as I can't see this issue being fixed anytime soon and as the radiators haven't been of 'startling' quality, I'm in no hurry get another as a replacement item and can't be bothered waiting for this mess to be sorted out.

What say everyone else?

/toycar

Kenneth
13-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Mine wasn't far out. I had to massage the lip on the top of the radiator support panel, but otherwise the rubber mount will take the rest of the miss-alignment.

They won't fit with the standard fans though, that is certain. :P

Bottom mounts fit perfectly.

Kenneth
13-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Oh, and about the bow in the top tank... It fits the contour of the radiator support panel.

scott.mohekey
13-06-2010, 11:41 PM
How large was your bow Kenneth? Was it as large as the one in my pic? I'm wondering if you had more luck with alignment because your bow was less than mine?

Kenneth
13-06-2010, 11:48 PM
Not sure, but it was a reasonable bowing.

The top could do with being lower at the ends for fitment as most of the issue is the drivers side contacting the support panel. A bit of filing on the weld would help that too.

Obviously I don't want to file the radiator if they are going to be going back though!

Out of curiosity... Pre facelift vs Facelift fitment? Mine is facelift.

CANDEE
14-06-2010, 12:17 AM
Out of curiosity... Pre facelift vs Facelift fitment? Mine is facelift.
We tried it on a prefacelift car... Do you have pics of the fitment in your car Kenneth?

J

Kenneth
14-06-2010, 12:48 AM
Nope. If I have time to do it tonight, ill do so

VR4WGN
14-06-2010, 02:37 AM
Oh um do you guys want me to do a figment test on both a fl and a ptl with pics??
Scarles seem to be offering a solution to either refund us or supply us ith the new ones arriving soon aparantly. But whom knows..

It seems we ad gen8 owners never seem to have any luck on production items for our cars ey??

I'm hoping to change this sooooooon

scott.mohekey
14-06-2010, 02:38 AM
What do you mean by "we and gen8" ?

VR4WGN
14-06-2010, 03:01 AM
Exctly that man.. No am item fits without dramas

scott.mohekey
14-06-2010, 03:02 AM
I mean, what distinction are you making between 'we' and 'gen8 owners' ? I thought you only dealt with 8th generation legnums and galants anyway?

CANDEE
14-06-2010, 04:00 AM
Scarles seem to be offering a solution to either refund us or supply us ith the new ones arriving soon aparantly. But whom knows..
Q,

At the moment we havent had any options for Scarles, Wynn is just asking for peoples prefered options going ahead...

Wynn is working with Scarles to get what options they suggest from here.

J

Adam.Findlay
14-06-2010, 11:23 AM
well IMO I would rather have a correct fitting replacement then a refund, but in saying that i havnt tried fitting mine to the car. i will ask scott nicely if i can test fit on his shell to see if mine is different to his

scott.mohekey
14-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Not a problem.

Adam.Findlay
15-06-2010, 12:51 AM
well i have exams wednesday, thursday, friday, saturday and have to work sunday so it will have to be next weekend.
and just a thought are you sure that the st-r has the same mounts as the vr-4?

scott.mohekey
15-06-2010, 12:53 AM
Yep. The ST-R uses the same radiator, in fact this particular ST-R had its radiator replaced with a VR4 one after it got blocked.

Adam.Findlay
15-06-2010, 03:23 AM
sweet as just thought i would check.
so next weekend sound all sweet to test fit

scott.mohekey
15-06-2010, 03:25 AM
Yeah sure.. it doesn't take long as the car is pretty well stripped out.

VR4 MAD
15-06-2010, 11:21 PM
OK Andrew from Scarles has been back in touch. He acknowledges that there is a significant fitment issue and that, as supplied, they don't fit most of our cars.

If I read Andrews reply correctly, what he is offering to do is dependant on what their supplier decides to do.

He has contacted the manufacture about the issue but hasn't yet received a reply back with a solution or an offer of a refund.

If they offer to remake them, we will have the option of a replacement radiator but if they refund Scarles, then we will be too............. :)

There are two unknowns, as I see it. What if you don't want or can't wait for a replacement, which in the worst case scenario, may still not fit. Secondly, who will cover the shipping cost for us to return the radiators we have now to Scarles?

Thoughts guys?

/toycar

VR4WGN
16-06-2010, 12:13 AM
purchsed under the impression of (Good Quality Products) means we are not liable for any more costs in my eyes but im only a small prawn so ill wait and see

furthr more i have been intouch with a someone that claims when these are welded up they are to be injected(filled) with some sort of a resin that seals it while being welded up,and tht the bow is the 1st sign of the tank weakening wich means the next stage is pop,crack,whatever.. it means the fluid will be on the floor and not i nyour engine..

how true this is is debateable i bet but never the less im not willing to chance it and void my warranty.

VR4WGN
16-06-2010, 12:18 AM
this is what scarles have now re-written on their ads

since i posted a question this hs been edited by them

Scarles Performance

Why should you purchase our products over any other products in the market?

*WE ARE A TRADEME STORE
*Items sourced from Manufactures NOT Sub Suppliers overseas. (Meaning we request high quality products for you)
*We are a Business and a shop.
*Friendly, Professional, Honest and Dependable staff.
*We back all our products with replacement warranties 6-12 months.
*We are happy to answer any questions

Scarles Galant or Legnum VR4 Performance Radiator

Scarles are distributors of Performance Aluminum Radiators and all come with the manufacture companies warranty of 12 months

*High Quality (In the top corners has a slight bow, manufacturer issue, however doesn't effect performance)
*Fits most vehicles. Suitable upgrade
*Extremely Light
*Overall size 730x465x45
*Suited to bolt straight into Mitsubishi VR4 Galants and Legnums

Check out our other auctions for more products and great deals!

For viewing options please click on About this store

are the top tanks on these bowed like a banana as are ours form our group buy?? if so then where is your standards as mentioned in your listing of "Highest Quality"?? imo these arent worth the money i paid for mine!! Hi mate, this batch is bowed. If you like we can refund you and give you the straight ones on the new batch. I don't know how our manufacturer messed that one up! but it doesn't affect the quality, or working ability at all, its just cosmetic

if it does not affect the quality then why is it bowed?
im happy to recieve the "straight" ones he claims theyr getting

scott.mohekey
16-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Will the new batch fit correctly then, if not bowed?

VR4WGN
16-06-2010, 05:04 AM
dont know from what i can make of what he wrote they should fit properly and not be bowed

Adie
16-06-2010, 10:57 AM
I returned mine, and got a refund. While I was there I compared mine an another one he had in the shop.
The bow in mine was quite bad but the one in the shop wasn't nearly as bad, so it got me thinking what quality standards are there if the bow could be so different between the two.

scott.mohekey
16-06-2010, 11:04 AM
So they are offering refunds then? Have they also offered to cover postage for people not local to Auckland?

VR4 MAD
21-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Update: Andrew has offered several options as to how to proceed from here.

1) Replacement radiators.........He has asked if we can either supply a radiator to take measurements from or that we take measurements so they can re-manufacture the radiators to the correct fit. Preferably, a radiator from a manual car would be required to take the measurements. We have access to one here to take measurements from but if one could be supplied directly to Scarles by someone in Auckland so they can take their own measurements, that would be by far the better arrangement, as I don't want the responsibility of taking measurements with the possibility of getting them wrong, again, if I can possiblely avoid it............ :stupid:

2) Keep what we have.............. He has asked what we think is a fair and reasonable price for the radiators as they are at the moment. That is, with them not fitting the factory mountings points and with fan mounts that don't line up to the OEM fans. Not to mention the warped top tank they have. I'm not sure how much it would take to have the incorrectly placed lug mounts cut off and repositioned, but I'd guess at least $100+. So at least that amount and maybe more should, I believe, be refunded, if anyone decides to keep what they have and modify it to fit.

3) Full refund.................. Now I've yet to find out what will happen about the costs associated with returning the radiator to Scarles, but I would hope that too will be refunded or covered by Andrew. If people go for this option, Andrew is still hoping to get new replacement radiators manufactured to the correct size and you will be able to get one of these once when they arrive in about 3 months time if you still need/want one.

So guys, let us know on here, what are your thoughts and preferences ............./Hmmm

Jeremy (CANDEE) and I are most likely to go for a full refund for now and decide once the new ones arrive and have been confirmed OK by a trial fitting, whether to get one or not.................. /popcorn

Thoughts and comments everyone???

And again, apologies for this mess guys........... much :embarasse

/toycar

bradc
21-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Wynn, I got your pm and I'm replying to it here.

My rad was of course one for an EVO 4-6. My bottom mounts were off by quite a bit, I simply had them sawn off and rewelded. The top mounts were ok and I was able to re-drill the stock mounts at the top and get the radiator seated ok.

It cost me nothing as the guy who did the welding used to be our neighbour and was borrowing our welder at the time :)

Scarles are located somewhere in Auckland aren't they? I don't have a spare radiator at the moment but I'm sure at least one member in Auckland will have a spare. Maybe we could give it to them to get things sorted?

VR4 MAD
21-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Yep, they're located there in Auckland.

That's exactly what I would hope we can arrange so they can take there own measurements or if the radiator is an 'old spare', even send it over to the manufacture so they can take measurements directly themselves.........../GJ

So guys, anyone in Auckland got an old radiator they can lend Scarles, or better yet, one they don't need and are willing to give Scarles so it can be sent away............. mostly likely never to return.......... :)

Wynn

/toycar

Wynn, I got your pm and I'm replying to it here.

................Scarles are located somewhere in Auckland aren't they? I don't have a spare radiator at the moment but I'm sure at least one member in Auckland will have a spare. Maybe we could give it to them to get things sorted?

Adam.Findlay
21-06-2010, 11:07 PM
as i have posted before I would like a new radiator that fits as opposed to a refund but if its to much hassle ill make the current one fit,
eitherway i need better cooling for the track.

VR4 MAD
22-06-2010, 04:18 AM
So "Option 1" from my post #108 for you then............. :D Just there is likely to be a 3 month delay till they arrive.......... /Hissy

/toycar

as i have posted before I would like a new radiator that fits as opposed to a refund but if its to much hassle ill make the current one fit,
eitherway i need better cooling for the track.

Adam.Findlay
22-06-2010, 10:16 AM
hmm thats a bit of a worry, are scarles paying for shipping and so on?

VR4 MAD
22-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Yes............ Andrew will most likely send courier tickets out to those who wish to return their radiator to Scarles. The details of this haven't been talked through yet though.

/toycar

hmm thats a bit of a worry, are scarles paying for shipping and so on?

Adam.Findlay
23-06-2010, 12:11 AM
cool cool. well keep us up to date man :)

VR4WGN
24-06-2010, 10:14 AM
how much will he give us back?

Adie
24-06-2010, 08:41 PM
I got a full refund I see no reason why he would give anyone else anything less than a full refund.

VR4 MAD
24-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Q, read option 2) from my post #108 above.

If you wish to keep the radiator you have now and not want or can't wait for a replacement, Andrew will refund part of the price you paid, as it was not as described and is faulty/flawed. Just how much he will refund depends on what it's decided the faulty radiator is worth as it is and how much it might cost to get it modified to fit............ :dizzy2:

how much will he give us back?

Andrew will give full refunds to those who wish to return the radiator they have. When replacements arrive in about 3 months you will still be able to get one at the same price as before, it you still want one then.

See option 3) from my post #108

I got a full refund I see no reason why he would give anyone else anything less than a full refund.

VR4WGN
25-06-2010, 01:33 AM
Well how much koz I'll keep this one and put it in the moved after rewriting and straightening it myself.
Just depends how much he will refund.
Then he keeps the refund as a deposit for the good ones when they arrive ?? Whatcha think??

VR4WGN
27-06-2010, 08:42 AM
heres some pictures guys...
im very speechless about this but knew you all had to see it to believe it..

yes that means goos fit excpet for 1 top eye bolt

Kenneth
27-06-2010, 10:08 PM
let me know how it is with the engine back in.

I couldn't get the fans to fit with the engine there, the front turbo is in the way (more the turbo inlet pipe)

Other than that, the fit seems to be about the same as mine.

VR4 MAD
28-06-2010, 05:07 AM
Hi Q.

Considering you seem to have had good success getting yours to fit, I suggest you contact Andrew at Scarles direct, to negotiate any partial refund to compensate for the incorrect fitment.

This applies to anyone wishing to keep the radiator they received from Scarles.

Jeremy (CANDEE) and I are looking to return ours and we'll let people know how we get on with shipping costs and refunds.

/toycar

Well how much koz I'll keep this one and put it in the moved after rewriting and straightening it myself.
Just depends how much he will refund.
Then he keeps the refund as a deposit for the good ones when they arrive ?? Whatcha think??

scott.mohekey
28-06-2010, 05:23 AM
It looks to me like Q tilted the top left mounting bracket and used only one bolt to hold it in place. I've tried doing this with mine, and it works for the top, but not with the rubber bungs in the bottom.

VR4 MAD
28-06-2010, 06:21 AM
Kenneth, the OZVR4 peeps had to do some "trimming" of the OEM fan motor supports to get theirs to fit without any contact or rubbing. So doesn't surprise you'll need to 'adjust' things to get it all to work. Was always expected........... :D

Hope that helps.

/toycar

let me know how it is with the engine back in.

I couldn't get the fans to fit with the engine there, the front turbo is in the way (more the turbo inlet pipe)

Other than that, the fit seems to be about the same as mine.

Kenneth
28-06-2010, 10:03 AM
No worries there Wynn, I fully expected to require new fans :) (Or at least some modification)

VR4WGN
28-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Well the fans clear pretty close but they do clear. I will get pics for you up with engine in otherwise view my thread in engine forum re Christmas for my vr4

taylor
01-07-2010, 02:09 PM
I may be happy to purchase a radiator off a club member for the original price minus a partial refund from scarles, as an alternative to a refind. will make it fit, as I am currently playing around with my front end at the moment anyway

Adam.Findlay
18-08-2010, 08:56 AM
has anyone got a refund from scarles? as i plan to fit my radiator soon

CANDEE
18-08-2010, 09:39 AM
has anyone got a refund from scarles? as i plan to fit my radiator soon
Yes Adie, Wynn and I have all got refunds from them.

In Wynn and my case, they arranged pickup of the faulty units.

J

Adam.Findlay
18-08-2010, 09:52 AM
hmm i tried getting a partial refund of 100 but they wouldnt do it without a quote and i havent had the time, ill get it put in and send them the bill

CANDEE
18-08-2010, 11:08 AM
hmm i tried getting a partial refund of 100 but they wouldnt do it without a quote and i havent had the time, ill get it put in and send them the bill
We got full refunds, so that might be the difference... We had no idea on how much it would cost to get them modded to fit, as that wasnt considered for us.

Gly
07-11-2010, 07:44 PM
did anyone ever get a fixed/corrected one? (from the new batch)

CANDEE
07-11-2010, 08:19 PM
did anyone ever get a fixed/corrected one? (from the new batch)
Carsten,

Some of the original ones were fine, though the ones that Wynn and I had werent... We ended up getting some Golphers from aus for not a lot extra. :)

J

VR4WGN
08-11-2010, 01:59 AM
new batch not here yet from my recall fonecall a few weeks ago,,btw i can get them cheap if anyone want ok