PDA

View Full Version : Newbie, advice on buying a Galant VR-4

bluefin
11-08-2004, 12:55 PM
First hi to everyone here.

I wanted some advice on what the residuals are like for the Galant VR-4 and running costs. I'm toying with the Galant and Scooby WRX Wagon and Can't make up my mind. Any help would be appreciated.

Nick Mann
11-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Running costs are not low! Around 20 to the gallon and an oil change every 4.5k miles.

Compared to the Scooby wagon - bigger, more refined and more stealthy. Stock performance is similar. Mods are probably more difficult but that is because you have the rarity value as well.

You will be buying a second hand one if you get a VR4 - they stopped selling them a year or so ago! So you should be able to gauge residuals yourself.

There is a buyers guide (http://www.clubvr4.com/index.php?option=content&task=blogsection&id=3) on this site to help you check out any VR4's you see.

Good luck - feel free to ask any questions you want to!

Roadrunner
11-08-2004, 01:28 PM
I'm toying with the Galant and Scooby WRX Wagon and Can't make up my mind
Hi, and welcome :) These are quite different cars. The Impreza WRX is closer to a Lancer Evo in terms of size and power, although the Evo is available as a saloon only. The Galant is closer in size to a Subaru Legacy and, in terms of performance, the Galant VR-4 is akin to the Legacy B4RSK. If you're looking for a wagon, the Galant equivalent in the Japanese Domestic Market is called a Legnum (it was still a Galant when sold in the UK), and a number of the guys in ClubVR4 have these. Much bigger than the Impreza, and much more refined, their equivalent in the Subaru range is the Legacy GT-B.

I've had all of these cars in some variant or other, starting with a 94 Impreza 2000 Turbo, then a 96 Evo IV, a 96 Legacy RS-B and now a 98 Galant VR-4 (all saloons). All quite different, and a lot depends on what you want to do with it. The Impreza was a revelation in its day (first time that amount of power and ability was available so cheaply), but had a 1.2GL interior. The Evo IV was great, but needed to be driven all the time - it was also quicker than the Impreza (no surprise, with 276bhp vs the Impreza's 208bhp). I bought the Legacy because I'd wanted one for a long time - great car, very reliable, very fast (especially from 100mph upwards) but a real dearth of knowledge about the twin-turbo Legacies in the UK. The Galant has been the best of these - even more comfortable than the Legacy, which is impressive, much smoother and more technically advanced (active yaw control, etc) and a great club of enthusiasts to help with any technical problems. It doesn't get much better :)

Whatever you choose, make sure it does everything you need it to, otherwise you'll end up ultimately disappointed. I fall about laughing when I meet guys who drive Audi TTs and moan that they can't get their golf clubs in the boot ... :p Oh, and you'll be in much better company if you go for the Galant/Legnum :D

Brian

bluefin
11-08-2004, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the info guys. My main requirements are size (I have little'en and another on the way) and residuals. I'm in the process of emigrating to Canada so I'll have the car for at least a year, or even longer depending how long the visa takes, so I wanted something with some punch and the above. Newera imports have found one on a 1996 with 86k KM, leather etc for 86,000 at £7,250and I didn't want to suffer selling it when I have too.

KiwiTT
13-08-2004, 01:37 AM
For residuals have a look at the For Sale section and see how others got on. Like many of us here we selected the VR-4 for "long-term" (i.e. 5 years or more). These cars require a great deal of attention. This attention would be wasted if you sell it too soon.