PDA

View Full Version : Flexible Filler Ratios

oldgit9
02-05-2010, 05:22 PM
as some of you might be aware, im modding a double pillar gauge pod to fit my A pillar. and it's come the time to start using the filler to blend in the pod to the pillar.

now im no mechanic or panel beater, so i have no clue when it comes to using filler. basically, i only want to use a quarter of the tin at a time. as not to waste any. and i want to rub it down in-between applications to see where i need more or less filler.

so im a bit confused to the mixing ratios of the filler and hardener. on the tin it states "100 part filler to 2 parts hardener". as i only want to use a quarter of a tin at a time, i have worked out the following:-

full tin = 490g filler and 10g hardener

quarter tin = 112.5g filler and 2.5g filler

am i right in this ratio? or am i totally wrong? any advice would be appreciated.

Wodjno
02-05-2010, 05:29 PM
as some of you might be aware, im modding a double pillar gauge pod to fit my A pillar. and it's come the time to start using the filler to blend in the pod to the pillar.

now im no mechanic or panel beater, so i have no clue when it comes to using filler. basically, i only want to use a quarter of the tin at a time. as not to waste any. and i want to rub it down in-between applications to see where i need more or less filler.

so im a bit confused to the mixing ratios of the filler and hardener. on the tin it states "100 part filler to 2 parts hardener". as i only want to use a quarter of a tin at a time, i have worked out the following:-

full tin = 490g filler and 10g hardener

am i right in this ratio? or am i totally wrong? any advice would be appreciated.

The above is not correct..

25% of 490g = 122.5g

So 1/4 tin = 122.5g filler & 2.5g hardener /yes

Cheers

Wodj

Or if ur being exact ?

490g of filler and 9.8g hardener.

122.5g filler and 2.45g hardener

John TheAntique
02-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Take roughly 1/4 of the tin of filler and roughly 1/4 of the hardner and mix them realy, realy well. Its the mixing that's important.

Wodjno
02-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Take roughly 1/4 of the tin of filler and roughly 1/4 of the hardner and mix them realy, realy well. Its the mixing that's important.

Make sure you have a receptacle just the right size(Not to Big! Not to small!) /yes
So that you can mix vigorously in a nice circular motion, as to ensure that it's evenly mixed.. If the receptacle is to large then it's not easy to mix evenly..

Wodj

oldgit9
02-05-2010, 07:39 PM
thanks guys for the useful info.

@ wodjno
you were right with the amount. it was a typo on my count. the wife had just shouted that tea was ready...and i was in a bit of a rush to finish the post before she shouted at me again...lol

regarding the receptacle....i had a quick look around the shed and house, and the only thing i could find that might be of any use, was an old Chinese carton. would this be ok to use? otherwise, it'll have to mixed on a piece of cardboard.

John TheAntique
02-05-2010, 08:09 PM
OOooooooooooooooo old chinese--Kangxi, Yongzheng or Qianlong copy of Ming - Total fake ?

666damned
02-05-2010, 08:48 PM
i always use old cardboard............./lol

oldgit9
02-05-2010, 08:51 PM
i always use old cardboard............./lol

thats what i was going to use. but then wodj put the spanner into the works and made me think again. as i've never done this before, i can only go by what you guys say.

John TheAntique
02-05-2010, 09:59 PM
The great thing about catalytic fillers ( which I presume this is ) is that they go off from the inside out so you can carve the outside shape before it goes realy hard on the outside.