PDA

View Full Version : The dawn of a new era (pics)!

Ryan
03-05-2010, 06:36 AM
Better late than never I guess :) I simply could not post pictures of it with the hoary wheels it had on before.

I went to swap them over to the E6 wheels which were procured as replacements (thanks Brad). Arrived at tyre shop only to discover that the existing (hoary) wheels were held on with locknuts and both tools I had for them were cracked :sigh:

Of course MMC parts are not open on Saturdays and there was no way for the existing nuts to fit into the E6 wheels, besides which even if they did I would still be unable to change the tyre in the event of a flat for example.

Thanks to Carsten I managed to pick up an entire set of MMC wheel nuts last night and was able to finally get rid of the old wheels and fit the E6's. The E6's have seen better days it must be said but they are still infinitely better than the crap that was on previously.

The tyres are Bridgestone LM001's 215/45/17 which are a little stretched on the 17x7.5 wheels. Anyway, enough yakking - pics:

uploaded/50107/1272863393.jpg

uploaded/50107/1272863477.jpg

uploaded/50107/1272863509.jpg

uploaded/50107/1272863540.jpg

uploaded/50107/1272863566.jpg

uploaded/50107/1272863602.jpg

Well there you have it. My 1998 "Super" VR-4. The first thing I did when I received it was remove all the number plate surrounds and stickers on the rear windscreen. It also requires some TLC, namely:

* New air filter (ASAP): It had what appeared to be a Ralliart panel filter but when I removed it, it became apparent that it was either a cheap copy or had been in there its entire life as it simply crumbled in my hands. Binned.

* ATF: definitely needs replacing as it is the colour of sherry - not good but still shifting okay. Will make inquiries as to fitting an ATF cooler.

* Brake discs: are at the end of their lifespan, quite rusted and the face of the discs is badly scratched on some of them.

* Brake pads and fluid

* Tyres: They won't last too much longer - noticeable wear on the outer edge of at least two tyres - makes me wonder if the previous owner ever rotated them.

* Engine oil / filter: Not encouraging that they have used "SINOPEC lubricants" which has no viscosity rating on the windscreen sticker.

Engine coolant appears new however and the power steering fluid is still red(ish).

Shock absorbers will probably need replacing in the not too distant future but for now they seem okay. Remarkably the car feels more sure footed around corners than my previous one for some reason (and it had fresh shocks). The Recaro seats and Momo steering are welcome additions, the steering feedback is much better and of course, lateral support is much improved too - so much so that the wife no longer complains about slightly higher corner entry / exit speeds :)

It has a Kenwood head unit and 10 CD changer in the boot which all work and thankfully there is a band expander fitted so I am no longer limited to Newstalk ZB or Mai FM as my only two FM options!

The car on a whole appears to be in pretty decent condition. There are a couple of dents and scratches here and there but it is 12 years old so hardly surprising really. It's great having an engine which doesn't tick! :p

The only annoying thing at the moment is that the previous owner had fitted these gaudy silver strips down the edge of the doors. Needless to say they were quickly removed but unfortunately they've left a lot of their sticky stuff behind. Tried using the orange based grease remover (kitchen calibre) but it doesn't work and no hair dryer to melt if off either.

wintertidenz
03-05-2010, 06:48 AM
I hope you aren't referring to the stainless steel door sills (seen in the last pic). They're a dealer option :P

william
03-05-2010, 07:07 AM
Very nice looking car Ryan. How about some piccies of the exhaust system? Maybe it feels more sure footed because of less wear on the suspension bushes? Are you the first NZ owner?

scott.mohekey
03-05-2010, 07:17 AM
Is it missing the canards?

Ryan
03-05-2010, 07:37 AM
Dan: No, not those... along the edges of the door (external). On the fronts it is the edge that meets the B pillar, on the rears, the edge that meets the body.

William: Yes, you're probably right just under 104 000km on the clock... I think I'm the 2nd NZ owner. Will take some more pics of the exhaust sometime.

Scott: No idea, they were not there when I looked at it and weren't in the pictures either. Not too bothered about them really.

Gly
03-05-2010, 08:41 AM
the car looks great, much better on those wheels than the others when you came past the other night,

i think they suit it perfectly

you got an alarm in this one,

and if you need any help servicing the car and getting up to the standard of your old one, dont hesitate to ask

Ryan
03-05-2010, 08:47 AM
the car looks great, much better on those wheels than the others when you came past the other night,

i think they suit it perfectly

you got an alarm in this one,

and if you need any help servicing the car and getting up to the standard of your old one, dont hesitate to ask

Thanks Carsten! Alarm and immobiliser. If you're free next weekend I'll bring the beers :thumbsup:

Edit: There seems to be more space between the top of the tyres on this car then on the previous one, especially at the back?

Gly
03-05-2010, 08:51 AM
should be free. so if you have parts all good

jb2815
03-05-2010, 08:52 AM
The only annoying thing at the moment is that the previous owner had fitted these gaudy silver strips down the edge of the doors. Needless to say they were quickly removed but unfortunately they've left a lot of their sticky stuff behind. Tried using the orange based grease remover (kitchen calibre) but it doesn't work and no hair dryer to melt if off either.

Use turps and a rag, sticky crap should come off

Ryan
03-05-2010, 08:56 AM
Use turps and a rag, sticky crap should come off

Cool thanks, I will give a turps moistened rag a crack. :)

Ryan
03-05-2010, 08:57 AM
should be free. so if you have parts all good

Excellent, should have most (if not all) parts by then. /Hyper

I need:

* air filter (Dan located one at STA for ~$16)
* ATF (still have just above 3L so should get buy ordering 10L + ATF filter)
* brake discs [waiting for Dave to answer my PM on this)
* brake pads - BnT - Bendix
* brake fluid - some DOT4 from somewhere.

miller
03-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Ryan, that looks absolutely mint!!! Good job!

Ryan
03-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Ryan, that looks absolutely mint!!! Good job!

Thanks Mike - it's not bad is it? :drummer: This one will remain standard though.

TAR
03-05-2010, 11:20 AM
This one will remain standard though.

Yeah right!

:happy:

Kieran
03-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Very tasty Ryan. I am slightly jealous. :D

elnevio
03-05-2010, 12:31 PM
:sunny:

Atik
03-05-2010, 12:42 PM
[Borat style] Very Niiiiiccce [/Borat style]

:D

White Lightning
03-05-2010, 01:55 PM
That looks better on those wheels, Ryan. It looks like you got a good buy there. A few bits and pieces to sort but mainly just routine service items anyway. I think it looks fine without the SVR4 canards.

VR4Kaos
03-05-2010, 02:04 PM
looking nice mate esp them wheels make it stand out im liking them but sure is a super vr4 on the inside type s on the outside whats going on there do you know?

White Lightning
03-05-2010, 02:26 PM
It is a Super on the outside too Karl, it's just missing the front canards.

AlanDITD
03-05-2010, 02:27 PM
looks great ryan....wheels are much better.

wahooo 2000 posts!

aboo
03-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Looking good Ryan.

VR4Kaos
03-05-2010, 03:52 PM
It is a Super on the outside too Karl, it's just missing the front canards.
sorry yes :bobby2: looked a lil closer thought the rear spoiler was single my appolages

lancerevo3
03-05-2010, 05:23 PM
very nice,are their any mechanical mods to a super?

Ryan
03-05-2010, 09:52 PM
very nice,are their any mechanical mods to a super?

I believe that there are Ralliart shock absorbers fitted to them, that's about it really.

Oh and they have MH7202 ECU's.

Turbo_Steve
03-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Ryan, I think if I were you I'd get it reflashed.....and leave it at that. :)

Very very nice car.

mattnz
04-05-2010, 12:30 AM
Cool thanks, I will give a turps moistened rag a crack. :)

Turps will also strip the wax if it gets on the exterior, so might need a pot of wax depending on where the sticky stuff is :)

Ryan
04-05-2010, 12:57 AM
Turps will also strip the wax if it gets on the exterior, so might need a pot of wax depending on where the sticky stuff is :)

I did think about that and would like to try something a little less harsh perhaps. I do have ample supplies of wax though...

mattnz
04-05-2010, 01:53 AM
Try using Tar Spot Remover perhaps? I don't know how different it is from Turps, but it does pretty much the same job and at least you've got some indication that it's paint-safe.

wintertidenz
04-05-2010, 03:44 AM
Kerosene and meths will work. Bit easier on the paint too, but don't take too big a whiff of it while cleaning!

djb160
04-05-2010, 06:16 AM
Looks sweet Ryan. Still think it'd look even better with front canards. Wheels suit the silver body.

You need to take some more pics from different angls of that exhaust though.

Ryan
04-05-2010, 06:18 AM
Exhaust pics will follow in due course, perhaps tomorrow afternoon? I'm working late tonight. :violin:

KiwiTT
04-05-2010, 06:27 AM
Don't need the front Canards ... looks better without them anyhow.

Ryan
04-05-2010, 06:46 AM
Don't need the front Canards ... looks better without them anyhow.

Agreed - they're a bit OTT for my liking.

Wodjno
04-05-2010, 07:04 AM
Congratulations Ing /yes

Looks a very nice specimen..

Now may the modding commence .. And just make sure you concentrate on where those speed traps are ...

Cheers

Wodj

Ryan
08-05-2010, 04:42 AM
uploaded/50107/1273290120.jpg

^ Unfortunately I could only grab that one picture before the batteries died. I am pleased to discover that I have two Ganador mufflers!