PDA

View Full Version : Help! Engine problems

VR457
03-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Started the car this morning only to be greeted with a loud, deep, whining noise coming from the engine bay. 15 / 20 secs later pop the engine bay and see white smoke coming from underneath the rear bank as viewed from driver side. Smelt burning so switched engine off.

Checked engine oil and it looked like it had small clusters of bubbles on the dipstick and about 0.5 - 0.75 litre less oil than when i last checked two days ago. It was not like mayonnaise, just mildly frothy.

Have checked radiator, no oil there. Checked all the fluids, all fine incl gearbox. Checked and sprayed wd40 on alternator and belts but no reduction in noise on startup.

Underneath the engine looks damp under engine sump but no drips or puddles. Filled another 0.5 ltr oil but same noise and bubbles on dipstick.

Does anyone know what is going on?

Kieran
03-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Oil/coolant lines to the rear turbo - I'm wondering if they're weeping and dribbling onto the exhaust, causing the white smoke?

VR457
03-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Would it start smoking this quick from cold?

Kieran
03-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Mmmm, that's a good point. It wouldn't take long, but it would it be instantaneous? Hmmm, perhaps not.

VR4Kaos
03-05-2010, 01:46 PM
thought that that white gunky stuff ment the head gaskit had failed but im no mechinic sorry to hear your news tho mate hope get it sorted soon

elnevio
03-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Could be a complete stab in the dark here, but could it be something like a seized oil pump, and the white smoke is the belt overheating? A broken oil pump could also lead to loss of oil?

I hope not, but it might be something to consider (unless the more learned members can confirm I am massively wide of the mark).

crazyken76
03-05-2010, 01:52 PM
thought that that white spunk stuff ment the head gaskit had failed but im no mechinic sorry to hear your news tho mate hope get it sorted soon

if headgasket had gone you have water in the engine oil or oil in the radiator

VR457
03-05-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm going to look at the rear bank and pull off a couple of pipes to see if anything obvious is going on like what Kieran suggested.

Anything more and i'm stuck.

Davezj
03-05-2010, 02:16 PM
if you jack up the car and put it axle stands you can get under and start to remove the heat shield from round the rear turbo to get a better look.

or you might be better finding out where the noise is coming from, which might let you find the cause. i don't know if you are prepared to start the car again and have a listen with the bonnet open and try to find the source of the noise.

VR457
03-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Looked from the top. Will go and jack the car up in a bit. Is it ok to start the engine with it on P on the gearbox and front wheels in the air. With it on axle stands.

elnevio
03-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Looked from the top. Will go and jack the car up in a bit. Is it ok to start the engine with it on P on the gearbox and front wheels in the air. With it on axle stands.
Yes.

Davezj
03-05-2010, 02:57 PM
you can't see much of the rear turbo from underneath unless you are prepared to start removing bit of heat shield. however some of the bolt holding the heat shield on will probably either round off the bolt head or just snap the head off the bolt as they will probably be well rusted in place, but it is worth a go.

or you might just be able to see it dripping on tot he exhaust for some where.

VR457
03-05-2010, 03:19 PM
The best i can gather so far is that the alternator has gone. That's where the smoke is coming from. Sounds like a blender on it's way out.

Is that probable? Maybe the engine oil is unrelated.

If so, where can i a) get a cold spec alt from? b) get it fitted?

VR457
03-05-2010, 03:20 PM
PS: There is no oil on the exhaust. Turbo looks clean, exhaust emissions look fine.

VR457
03-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Can someone please post a link to the parts numbers. I need the number for a cold spec alt.

Presumeably that is the source of my problems?

lancerevo3
03-05-2010, 05:07 PM
cold spec alt??

Davezj
03-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Can someone please post a link to the parts numbers. I need the number for a cold spec alt.

Presumeably that is the source of my problems?

pm me your chassis number and i will check it ASA for you.

glad to hear it is only the alterator.

Kieran
03-05-2010, 06:15 PM
cold spec alt??

Yes - search for "Cold area specification" to learn more :)

lancerevo3
03-05-2010, 08:19 PM
thought that applied to the likes of the north pole lol.
drops to -10 to-12 where i live and never had a problem with any jap car.
learn something new everyday:thumbsup:

VR457
03-05-2010, 09:21 PM
pm me your chassis number and i will check it ASA for you.

glad to hear it is only the alterator.

Will get the number tomorrow.

Spoke to Nick and seemed to have narrowed the problem down a bit. We fitted a 4 gauge wire from the alt + terminal to battery + terminal about a year ago. At the moment when i take it off the battery terminal the noise and smoke stops. However inside the car the dash light is off, no stereo etc.

Tomorrow i will take the side attached to the alt off and see if that cures the problem. If it doesn't then the possibility of a dodgy alt will increase. Does anyone know off hand what size the nut is? I think it's 10mm.

Thanks for the help guys. Prob will need support if i turn a blind corner again!

VR457
04-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Got the alt number: MD340951

Taking it to an alt recon place tomorrow who reckon they can get it sorted. If not it's expensive to replace. Camskill nor Mitsi have a new one and a recon version costs a lot. Not keen on having a second hand one in case it goes belly up again.

So, will have to see the extent of the shafting i get...

John TheAntique
04-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Just a thought but sometimes a blown aircon pump blows out white smoke