PDA

View Full Version : Turbo water jackets ?

zentac
12-08-2004, 09:08 AM
Has anyone removed the water jacket from the turbos ?

wirdy
12-08-2004, 09:26 PM
Please excuse my apparent ignorance (haven't ventured anywhere near the turbo's - if all's well, leave well alone is my philosophy on these little whizzy things!) -

But are our turbo's water cooled?? I've only ever noticed the oil feed pipes to the bearings and certainly no water pipes - unless I'm looking at them & not seeing them, if you know what I mean?.

The turbo on my Volvo is water cooled and it's quite noticeable.

Confused.

zentac
12-08-2004, 09:28 PM
It could be my ignorance, Ive assumed they are water cooled as all other mitsi turbo`s Ive worked on have been. To be honest I havn`t checked. I will have a look one night and double check.

wirdy
12-08-2004, 09:34 PM
Would be nice if they are water cooled.

Even though I always let the turbo's cool down after a run, I've always thought that water cooling was good because it can still cool the bearings by convection after engine stop.

I never bother to let the Volvo idle too long because of this. Volvo Turbo is much easier to see though, so water cooling pipes are obvious- a little harder to see our 'baby' turbos hidden under those heat shields.

Wodjno
12-08-2004, 10:03 PM
From what i've read and heard about water cooled turbo's , the large percentage of them are used to get the engine temperature upto optimum.. rather than cooling the Turbo's .. Because of the high running temp of the turbo's the water is fed around them to heat it up and then back into the engine, thus getting the engine up to temp quicker, allowing you to drive harder quicker ... On road cars that have been put onto the track for racing it has been known for the race mechanics to block off the water feed to the turbo's when racing , because it causes overheating of the engine because of the constant high temperatures of the turbo's boiling the water and shoving it back into the engine ... WOW what waffle .... Anyway it was just a thought.. And know i haven't messed around with mine .. But i did have a water leak on mine on my rover 620ti .. This is how i found this info out and was told don't worry about it and just block it off .. So i did and to no adverse affects ... :rolleyes5

zedy1
13-08-2004, 01:13 AM
im quite certain they have water pipes going in

wirdy
13-08-2004, 09:33 PM
From the Graham Goode Racing site -

"The GGR RS 500's didn't use water cooling for the bearing housings, why not?
Water cooling of the bearing housing is a good idea for a road car. When the turbo is operating at high boost pressures, the exhaust housing can reach temperatures in excess of 950°C. Water cooling the bearing housing helps to prevent this temperature being transferred into the engine oil. Also, by stabilising the overall temperature, it is not always necessary to allow the turbo to cool before turning the engine off. On our race cars, we always monitored the turbo temperature, and would not turn off the engine until this was below 450°C. In a race environment, the water-cooling pipes were considered as a potential, and unnecessary water leak."

Wodjno
14-08-2004, 10:58 AM
im quite certain they have water pipes going in
Exactly !! :undecided .. I think thats what i said ?? So to sum up then .. If you drive your car reasonably normally then water cooled turbo's are a good thing .. :p But if you drive your car like a heathen then it can be more of a problem than a help :rolleyes5, as i did when i had my rover 620ti .. The rover did have more over heating problems before i blocked off the Turbo feed .. And refering to what that geezer said about an unnecessary water leak adds up with when mine started leaking from the turbo water feed pipe .. So i reckon , leave the feed alone until u encounter any leakages , then address the problem from then :rolleyes5 :

wirdy
14-08-2004, 12:03 PM
This is annoying me now - so I've just been and had a peer under the bonnet.
The top of the rear turbo is easiest to see, it has a small diameter pipe (oil?) and a larger diameter pipe (water?) going to the top of the main bearing area. I'm assume these are the exit pipes (for convection?). Can't see the feed pipes but there's plenty of plumbing down there. If the water pipe feeds the bearing jacket then the oil feed must go through that to the bearing itself.

Good then, looks like we do have water cooled turbo's ;)

Polabear
14-08-2004, 07:00 PM
Well bugger me backwards, you learn something everday...... :lipsrseal :$

enigma
14-08-2004, 07:22 PM
I am 99.9% certain that we do not have water cooled turbos. I removed one from the VX engine and there were no water pipes!

See Here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4401)

Polabear
14-08-2004, 07:28 PM
Well bugger me backwards, you learn something everday...... :lipsrseal :$

But then again.. maybe you don't...... :lipsrseal :rolleyes5

wirdy
15-08-2004, 10:31 PM
Is that the front or rear turbo in the pics Dave?
The pipes are a different diameter to my rear turbo, one of my pipes is only the diameter of a normal brake line. Pretty conclusive though - just oil to the turbo's then!. :-D :-D

I've been trying to find the literature, it's been a nagging doubt, but I'm sure I've read somewhere that our turbo's are only oil cooled. Perhaps I just hoped they were water cooled. :( :(

zentac
21-08-2004, 03:35 PM
Just a quick update.....There are water supplies going to both Turbo`s I removed them today and it looks like the overheating problem is sorted.

wirdy
21-08-2004, 03:57 PM
But then again.. maybe you don't...... :lipsrseal :rolleyes5

Maybe you do :-D

Polabear
21-08-2004, 04:55 PM
Maybe you do :-D

:wtf: Now Da Bear is totally confused....is they .. or isn't they..? :headsc: :Eek1:

zentac
21-08-2004, 08:20 PM
you definatley do :)