PDA

View Full Version : steering rack!!!!!!!!!!!

dunkdriver
03-05-2010, 08:06 PM
hi there, still having a bit of steering rack trouble. just wondered if anyone knows a trustworthy garage prepared to work on my leggy. in the meantime, what type of fluid should i use to top it up? cheers.

bradc
03-05-2010, 08:14 PM
You can use normal Mitsi SP3 ATF or Dexron III for the Power Steering.

elnevio
03-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Hi Dunk! Do you know exactly where it's leaking from?

Davezj
03-05-2010, 09:14 PM
what is the issue with the steering rack, i have just fixed my leaking rack over the weekend. i replaced the rack wa while back and high pressure flex hose stated to leak shortly after, but it is a bitch of job to get to the hose in question and you have to unbolt the rack and subframe just to get to it. almost as big a job as changing the rack in the first place.

what do you want to know, fire away!

Subaru ETA
04-05-2010, 01:02 AM
Dexron III is what should go in there

dunkdriver
05-05-2010, 04:42 PM
here's how it is.........i noticed a small patch of fluid under the near side front area. upon inspection it appears tha fluid was dripping off the subframe. i traced the leak as best i could and found the part of the steering rack on show from under the car had fluid on it too! just before all this i heard a wierd noise coming from under the car. it only appeared when going over a bump doing tight left turns or roundabouts, suggesting to me a pipe swinging somewhere and tapping on the surrounding are when cornering due to the inertia of the turn. it sounds like that thing when the heat shield loses a rivet and sits on the back of the exhaust. so,are the two related (couldn't locate the tapping noise!) or am i looking at seperate issues? bear in mind the bottle is emptying really slowly...............?!?

p.s. thanks for the nod on the fluid guys. is it readily available at most motor factors?

Davezj
05-05-2010, 08:11 PM
if the fluid is dripping from the bottom of the rack get a tourch under the car and look further up at the high pressure pipe work above the rack to see if that is wet with fluid. if it is then i would suggest it is a leak from the pipe work rather than the rack. the fluid on the rack would just be there because dips down not up.

i only say this as my flex high pressure pipe was leaking and wetting the rack making it look think the rack was leaking. it is worth a check.

miller
05-05-2010, 08:45 PM
You sure its steering fluid and not ATF fluid? It sounds like its dripping from a similar region that the Torque converter seal would be.

Have you had to top up the PS fluid recently?