PDA

View Full Version : Headlight adjustment woes

foxdie
03-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Hi all,

Well, my MOT is tomorrow and my N/S (passenger side / left) headlight is a little too high, I think it might fail on it.

Now, my cars a PFL VR-4 and about this time last year I had a nasty bump, I replaced the lights with those from a V6-Sport which are electrically adjustable, but because my PFL doesn't have the wiring I can't use this feature...

After using the search function I realised that to adjust the headlights I was supposed to use a philips screwdriver on the knob(s) on the back of the lights, and I can tell you, I just spent a good 15 minutes playing with knobs in Morrisons carpark ;)

I found 3 knobs on each side, so that's 6 knobs to play with in total.. oh my! :evilgrin: I tried twisting knobs to the left and to the right and absolutely nothing happened! We're not talking half-arsed effort here either, this fox likes it rough, several hard twists later :leer: and still nothing changed.

So, why is it, no matter how much I play with my knobs, I can't get them off(set)?

Ps. Whilst attempting adjustment of my headlights, we saw a chav in a Saxo getting a blowjob from his missus, dirty f***ers :)

miller
03-05-2010, 09:06 PM
i need a saxo

elnevio
03-05-2010, 09:13 PM
i need a saxo
/bestpostever

aboo
03-05-2010, 09:17 PM
i need a saxoPmsl & Jas sounds like your loosing your touch/Devil5

VR457
03-05-2010, 09:24 PM
jeez, knobs getting played with and ****** off! Too many knobs me thinks :smartass2

Davezj
03-05-2010, 09:30 PM
ok so by adjusting the lights willy nilly you have completely distroyed both headlight alignment.

your light up and down alignment are only do by the screws on the back of the headlights that are missing and are now electically controlled.

to set up the light alignment you need to park the car in front of a preferably white brick wall. then put tape on the wall to mark the center of you light.........

It is too long winded to write it all down. just google aligning headlights.
then you will have to hook up and electrical connection to make them go up and down.

i will try and find a link.

here is a basic method of adjusting you headlights.

http://www.helium.com/items/1054164-how-to-adjust-a-cars-headlights

VR457
04-05-2010, 07:36 AM
I presume you've seen this: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48014&highlight=headlight.

If you figure it out i think i need to know too: i've had two drivers flashing me this week so need to adjust derivers side down.

foxdie
04-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Well car passed it's MOT /woot2

Still need to adjust them though, that last link by VR457 clears it up perfectly (as those are the headlamps I have), I now know that I can't adjust the height whatsoever without hooking up power. Crap.

Okay, for future reference for anyone else in my situation, here is a wiring diagram;

uploaded/51922/1272991406.png

To summarise, there are 3 wires on the tail coming off the headlamp:

Red with Green stripe - Switched +12V power (becomes +12V when headlamps turned on)
Yellow with Blue stripe - Signal wire that ranges from 0 to +12V to set headlight height
Black - Ground

Hope this helps someone in the future :)

Confused
05-05-2010, 10:11 AM
You can still adjust them - you (should) still have the adjustment screws in the top of those boxes :)

They'll just then (when on a UKDM car) be able to adjust the height of both together with the little switch in the dash.