PDA

View Full Version : Poss rear passenger wheel bearing fail?

oldgit9
04-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Been doing some reading and I think I have misdiagnosed my problem.

Basically, the other week, I done a sharp manoeuvre at speed and I noticed the second AYC light come on. Since then, the rear passenger break has been binding. During normal driving (if there is such a thing…lol), I pulled up the handbrake slowly and the sound goes away. The same happens when I press the brake.

So I thought that it might be a sticking pin. To cut the long story short, I have ordered new disc all round (they do need doing anyway) and some high temp grease for the pins. Just waiting for them to be delivered and to find time to fit them before japfest.

But I noticed last night, when I would turn a left hand corner, the grinding noise would go away. But as soon as I straighten up, the noise would return. The grinding noise is not constant. Just as if the disc is warped. It’s driving me bloody crazy just driving to and back from work. And to top it all off, I’ve got to drive to the south of wales on Friday…im not looking forward to it. The stereo is going to be at full blast just to drown out the bloody noise.

I was thinking that it could be the wheel bearing that is on it’s way out. Am I right in thinking this. Or was I right in my first diagnoses?

Nick Mann
04-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Could well be a wheel bearing. Sounds exactly the same symptoms as mine last year. And the bearing was in awful condition when I removed it, but the handbrake shoes and brake pads hold the hub quite well, so movement is only minor even when the bearing is mullered.

oldgit9
04-05-2010, 02:33 PM
I hope it's not the wheel bearing. As I've got the big 3 next month (tax, mot and insurance) and I can do without the expence of changing the bearings.

If I am unlucky enough and need to change the bearings, how much am I looking at roughly?

Nick Mann
04-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Camskill - £150ish for the hub. Local garage £50-£100 fitting.

oldgit9
04-05-2010, 08:10 PM
thanks for that nick. fitting shouldn't cost me anything. as i can take it to the "car club" at work and they can help me to fit it for nawt.

one thing i forgot to mention earlier, after some normal driving and safe braking, i can notice a temp' difference between the right and left wheel hubs. that's what made me think that the brake was binding. but could the bearing also cause this?

thing is, time is v tight for me at the mo. got loads to do and so little time to do it in, ready for japfest. should i just get a new hub and fit it when im doing the discs?

Nick Mann
04-05-2010, 09:58 PM
It's difficult to recommend anything with certainty when diagnosing a fault by the written word.

What's the chances of getting someone in the "car club" to give you an idea if the bearing is suspect or not? Taking the disc off is a proportion of the hub change job, so it would make sense to do it all at the same time, IF it needs doing.

I'd suggest that the offending wheel would get hotter as it would effectively be binding slightly on the pads/shoes, if the hub is moving around. I never checked mine when the bearing was shot.

oldgit9
05-05-2010, 12:43 AM
I was going to pop into the car club when I finished work today, but I ran out of time and had to go and pick the daughter up from school. I'll pop in there tomorrow

oldgit9
05-05-2010, 09:33 PM
***UPDATE***

OK, i went to the car club today to see if it was my bearing or not...and let me tell you all...i learned a very valuable lesson today. and to be honest with you, it shook me up a bit.

basically, we jacked up the car and had a look at the wheel. and to no surprise it wobbled. and we both agreed that the wheel bearing had gone. after a bit of a chat, the guy i was talking to, tried to turn one of the wheel nuts. thats strange i thought. but to our shock, it was loose. V loose. so he checked the others. and we were even more shocked to find that out of the five wheel nuts, only one was sort of tight. he called his mate over to have a look and even he couldn't believe it.

the thing is, i only had the wheels put on the car the other week by a supposedly reputable garage. i can tell you one thing,i will NOT be going back there again. think about it, i've had my wife (who is pregnant) and my daughter in the car. the wheel could have come off at any time. what if we were on the motorway (which i will be on friday) and the wheel came off at 70ish, we could all be dead. all thaks to a TW@T who couldnt be bothered to do his job correctly and tighten up all the wheel nuts.

is there a "Name And Shame" thread going around? if there is, i would love to add this garage to the list. that way, people can stay well clear of them and others like them.