PDA

View Full Version : Parking Sensor

colVR4
12-08-2004, 10:42 AM
Is this too good to be true?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7915844239&category=6763

Nicola struggles with parking the car as it is difficult for her to judge where the back of the car is. These parking sensors look incredibly cheap, are they worth the £40+ for them do you think. If it saves me £150 in repairs every time the back bumper gets banged I can see it being worth it. :-D

Thoughts from the floor?

Bal
12-08-2004, 12:35 PM
i was thinking about it as well. but like you was unsure.

B

Nick Mann
12-08-2004, 01:10 PM
If I wanted one, I'd give it a bash. (Or hopefully not after installation!)

colVR4
12-08-2004, 01:15 PM
It doesn't look that difficult to install although I am unsure where to put the LED display. I am not even sure I would bother with the display to be honest.

I think that I may get it anyway for the money. If its a bag of sh**e I can always sell it on e-bay again :)

colVR4
12-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Well the deed is done and I have bought it for less than £50 incl posting!! It remains to be seen what the quality is like. As soon as it arrives I will let you know

ritch_w
12-08-2004, 03:58 PM
looks good - i've been meaning to get one of these things for a while also.

I also thought it may be worthwhile investigating whether the sensors would work / fit somewhere in the rear valence on the sport so as not to be cutting big chunks out the bumper;)

Big Ian
12-08-2004, 04:50 PM
ive got the same set,never got round to fitting them........as my wife withdrew her threat about driving :laugh:
:sad3: i paid a-bit more though......£30. more :rolleyes5 thay are good quailty and i think i'd have paid more at the time :)

Bal
12-08-2004, 04:52 PM
keeps us informed and lets go with the traditional bulk buy scenario ;)

B

colVR4
13-08-2004, 09:26 AM
On the invoice that I received it does say that you can buy from them direct for the price that I paid and that for orders of 3 or more they will give a discount!! I am not sure how long it will take to come through the post but I am expecting about 10 days for delivery.

Big Ian
13-08-2004, 10:47 AM
col,
could you ask (enquire)about a "bulk buy?" as my father in-law keep's asking for my kit for his merc-sprinter van. :) ...

colVR4
13-08-2004, 11:48 AM
I will send off an email to the seller and see what he can do for an order of 3 or more kits.

Grinder
13-08-2004, 09:11 PM
I have spoken to installers of parking sensors and they reckon its difficult on the wagon (at least on mine!) because there is no vertical face on the back bumper. So the sensor always ends up pointing at the ground and beeps constantly (when in reverse).

I am sure there is a way around this, so I await news from you guys when they're fitted!

colVR4
25-08-2004, 11:52 AM
UPDATE!!

I have received the sensor through the post (damn import tax grrrr £11 extra) and have started to fit it to the car. The LED readout is in silver so fits nicely in front of the auto stick (photos to come soon). The rear bumper seems to have a decent enough surface perpendicular to the road for the sensors to be mounted.

The fitment is soooo simple that even I can do it. The power comes directly from the reversing light so the system only works when reversing. All I have left to do is drill the holes for the sensors (drill bit comes with the pack) push them in and thread the wiring through to the control box.

I did try to get in touch with the guy who sold me it but he is no longer a member of e-bay (strange!!!) so it doesn't look like a bulk buy is on the cards. I will post all the piccies when the installation is complete.

L8R

Japmetal
25-08-2004, 07:58 PM
I was going to warn that you dont angle the sensors at the ground [otherwise it thinks you're too close all the time, even when travelling on motorways etc] But it sounds like you've got it covered :)

colVR4
26-08-2004, 08:09 AM
The sensor will only work when reverse is selected Jap, so the system is not powered up for normal driving. The sensors are mounted at the top of the bumper, just before it curves into the boot as this seems to be the most perpendicular part.

I admit that I was a bit apprehensive before drilling the holes, but I measured it all out and it really was very easy. Finding somewhere to thread the wires through was the hard part but I put them through the back of the light cluster in the end. Really was very easy to do (a one spanner in the Haynes manual :) )

Photos coming as soon as I've washed the car!!

Grinder
27-08-2004, 11:05 AM
Yep looking forward to the photos.

I think the non-LED readout type are much easier to fit, as there is no threading of wires through to the front of the car.

But at that price, its a bargain, like colV6Sport said presumably you don't have to fit the display if you don't want it.

lorriman
27-08-2004, 03:35 PM
For anyone thinking of fitting these, here are mine.

Didn't do it myself, but they pick up slim posts, foliage, metal fences etc. Just brilliant, until you ignore the continuous beep and over cook it thinking you know better than a stupid electronic gadget. Big mistake.

Grinder
27-08-2004, 04:04 PM
jeebers! that is shiney paintwork!

colVR4
06-09-2004, 11:16 AM
Back off hols and photos to come immenently. Best £££s that I have spent on the car yet. I can reverse the car back now far, far, far easier than I ever could before so reverse parking is now a doddle.....erm, I meant the fiancee can.....!!!

Mel
06-09-2004, 07:39 PM
I'm just about to fork out for the 8 sensor version from this UK source:

http://www.tgincar.co.uk/

They have an ebay store, which is cheaper:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/TG-Online-Trade-prices-d-rect_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm

I'll let you know how it goes. They do two versions with a display (mirror replacement and display type), but they look too much trouble...

Grinder
06-09-2004, 08:30 PM
They look like some nice kits, but like you say extra effort to fit.

Lee
07-09-2004, 12:28 AM
ow do all, my first post since selling my vr4 and got to be best car i had, incl scoobies
anyway, i had parking sensors on mine, not these but have em anyway, rally usefull even tho mine kept going off in the rain!!

colVR4
08-09-2004, 01:57 PM
Just shows how well they blend in as you can hardly see them in the pictures. There are two near the centre of the bumper and one out of each end just after the bit where the bumper starts to curve around. The LCD display sits nicely in front of the shift stick and fits in quite well.

The wire from the LCD is pushed into the gap down the back and along the side and threaded back under the drivers seat. The control box is in the boot just behind the rear seats on the drivers side. The speaker is under the drivers seat. All I have to do is just tidy up the wiring from the sensors to the control box and the job is complete.

If anybody wants more photos of the installation just let me know.

Grinder
08-09-2004, 04:01 PM
You are also showing how small the display is - for some reason I pictured something bigger - that looks fine. Mighty fine in fact!

Polabear
09-09-2004, 06:25 PM
Just shows how well they blend in as you can hardly see them in the pictures. There are two near the centre of the bumper and one out of each end just after the bit where the bumper starts to curve around. The LCD display sits nicely in front of the shift stick and fits in quite well.

The wire from the LCD is pushed into the gap down the back and along the side and threaded back under the drivers seat. The control box is in the boot just behind the rear seats on the drivers side. The speaker is under the drivers seat. All I have to do is just tidy up the wiring from the sensors to the control box and the job is complete.

If anybody wants more photos of the installation just let me know.

Shame the supplier has vanished..I mailed him regarding sale and as yet no reply... :sad3:

bluefox
19-09-2004, 06:33 AM
Did anyone have any luck gettin in touch with this "supplier"??

I would be interested as well if there was going to eb a bulk buy

Polabear
19-09-2004, 09:32 AM
Did anyone have any luck gettin in touch with this "supplier"??

I would be interested as well if there was going to eb a bulk buy

Still no reply from him...... :sad3:

Bal
20-09-2004, 12:50 PM
i reckon the man is being detained by her majesty, but if you do find him let me know i want some.

enigma
20-09-2004, 02:01 PM
There are loads for sale on EBAY in the UK and some of them have rather nifty VFD displays........some even have the displays built in to the rear view mirror! :rolleyes5

I was almost tempted with prices between about £30 and £60 depending if you want front sensors too :-b

Polabear
03-12-2004, 03:44 PM
There are loads for sale on EBAY in the UK and some of them have rather nifty VFD displays........some even have the displays built in to the rear view mirror! :rolleyes5

I was almost tempted with prices between about £30 and £60 depending if you want front sensors too :-b

I am FOOKIN DEFINATELY interested now after TW*TTING my rear end twice in three months now... :lipsrseal :sad3:

colVR4
03-12-2004, 05:36 PM
Go for it PolarBear. Having had the sensor fitted for a while now it makes parking soo much easier. You can just throw it into those parking spots.

I can't see a problem with the kits on ebay. I have had no problems with mine at all since fitting it.

Polabear
06-12-2004, 01:38 PM
Just bought one of these kits..... £40 which I didn't think was too bad.. (better than more visits to the damn bodyshop :sad3: )

;)

Bal
06-12-2004, 02:24 PM
polar let me know about the parking sensor, if you can get me two i would be interested, i just bought a wireless night vision camera which i was gonna stick at the back but if i can get parking sensors ill still it at the front for a bit of fun instead.

I-S
06-12-2004, 04:51 PM
Polarbear - I've seen these on ebay. Let us know how it goes. How many sensors can you attach? I really want to do the front of my car (as I have problems with that, ask zedy!), but no probs with the back (where the estate is rather easier than the saloon). Would it work with the sensors hidden in the lower rad grille?

Polabear
06-12-2004, 06:52 PM
This is where it came from.....http://www.tgincar.co.uk/ they are also on ebay which is cheaper....... ;)

HMG1K
14-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Just to update this thread - Mitsubishi parking sensors, fully fitted and colour coded are £289 including VAT - about £30.00 of that is for colour coding...

My price was from Mitsubishi Bridgend - guess the only variance would be on labour rates across the UK.

rees
15-12-2007, 05:06 PM
ok so all in all the feeling is these are good and worth it , but which one ?

HMG1K
15-12-2007, 06:13 PM
ok so all in all the feeling is these are good and worth it , but which one ?

I haven't tried mine out yet as I'm now picking the car up next weekend...

My only playing with parking sensors is on the girlfriend's Jaguar... They are standard fit front and rear and do the usual bleep bleep and constant bleep when you are too close - so I reversed the car until the constant bleep sounded, got out, had a look just how close I was to the wall and then did the same with the front... That way it gives you a good idea in your mind when you hear that sound just how much more / less room you have to play with before you actually hit something! :scholar:

It's worked for me!