PDA

View Full Version : gearbox conversion

zedy1
12-08-2004, 12:32 PM
im really considering to convert my vr4 to a 5 speed manual, ive located a gearbox for the car, but was wonderinis it worth doing as this is gonna cost me approx £650.00 in bits and alot of f***ing about.

Nick Mann
12-08-2004, 01:12 PM
Thats cheap. If you want it, then its worth the fekkin about! If not, sell the bits, as I think there are others who would be interested.

zentac
12-08-2004, 02:19 PM
Weve done it on FTO`s (god how many times have I said that !) and its about a days work. You will need

Gearbox, flywheel, clutch, pedal box, rev counter, and all the gear linkage cables etc...

You also need to cross two of the connectors from the Auto ECU to perswade the ECU that the box is in Park so you can start it. I switched it to make it an extra imobiliser.

zedy1
23-08-2004, 11:36 PM
okay, ive got the gearbox, does anyone know the part numbers for the drive shafts and the transfer box for the auto and manual, and the price of the clutch kit for the manual box, i got quoted £300+ for the clutch kit :sad3: fron ny local dealers

KiwiTT
24-08-2004, 01:06 AM
Not sure if it is worth it, for a daily cruiser. However, if you want more control for fun, you should get it done. I'm quite happy with the tip for the occassional "playing" I do.

We had a 1/4 mile table before. How did the Manauals compare to the Tiptronics ?

enigma
24-08-2004, 07:24 AM
We had a 1/4 mile table before. How did the Manauals compare to the Tiptronics ?

Tips topped! :lipsrseal

Japmetal
25-08-2004, 07:46 PM
That might be because the only serious power gains have been on auto models [in the UK at least] !

Kieran
25-08-2004, 08:39 PM
It would be interesting to see how much power the manual box takes before it lets go...

The Vee
25-08-2004, 08:57 PM
One thing to check is that the crankshaft of the engine is the same for auto/manual. I really don't know about Mitsi's but some manufacturers it was different due to torque coverters, input shafts etc. It may well be the same, but worth checking.

zedy1
25-08-2004, 10:55 PM
One thing to check is that the crankshaft of the engine is the same for auto/manual. I really don't know about Mitsi's but some manufacturers it was different due to torque coverters, input shafts etc. It may well be the same, but worth checking.the crankshaft is the same as this manual gearbox has come out of the same engine i got in the car

The Vee
25-08-2004, 11:58 PM
the crankshaft is the same as this manual gearbox has come out of the same engine i got in the car

Nice one - Cheers for that

FTOLTD
28-08-2004, 09:52 PM
okay, ive got the gearbox, does anyone know the part numbers for the drive shafts and the transfer box for the auto and manual, and the price of the clutch kit for the manual box, i got quoted £300+ for the clutch kit :sad3: fron ny local dealers

zedy did the gearbox come with a flywheel and clutch, clutch pedal, clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder, manual gauge cluster, drive shafts, transfer case, gear shifter and cables, manual computer,

If anyone is interested i have all of the above, with a gearbox

zedy1
29-08-2004, 01:32 AM
How much do you want for them?

BraindG
29-08-2004, 01:54 AM
Tips topped! :lipsrseal

wasnt that cos there were no manuals competing? :lipsrseal

zedy1
30-08-2004, 11:11 PM
could someone please do me a favour

i need the part numbers for the clutch hit, gear selector cables, clutch slave unit, gearbox mounting (the one which is attached to the nearside wing)and the dust covers for the mitsubishi galant v6=24 or the sport for tommorow morning.

As for update i have stripped my dashboard and got the brake pedal in and removed the auto gear selector.

now i need a few things which may need to be ordered by dealers and im gonna get ripped off :(

Kieran
30-08-2004, 11:17 PM
...gear selector cables, clutch slave unit, gearbox mounting (the one which is attached to the nearside wing)and the dust covers for the mitsubishi galant v6=24 or the sport for tommorow morning....

I know of a certain Galant VX that still has the selector assembly, dust covers and Clutch slave cylinder that may suit you... Is it worth a trip to see the Project and have a look?

zedy1
30-08-2004, 11:22 PM
was thinking that mate but i think youll need those for the project

zedy1
31-10-2004, 10:56 PM
ALMOST THERE, GOT THE GEARBOX IN AND RUNNING, TOOK IT ON A LITTLE TESTY (FEELS ALOT BETTER THAN A TRIP BOX :p )BUT I NEED TO BUY SOME NEW GEAR SELECTOR CABLES FROM MISTY (£160 AND 10 DAYS APPROX). WILL POST YOU GUYS WHEN COMPLETED