PDA

View Full Version : turbo blanket/jacket

Davezj
04-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Hi All,

what do you think of these do they look any good for the money.

And then i will tell you what they have agreed to sell them for if i order 20 off.

please take a look and let me know what you think.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120562907806&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

have a look at the videos at the bottom of the ebay add.

also let me know if you have had expeiriance of using blanket/jacket on turbo's

mike74
05-05-2010, 08:48 AM
i haven't personally used these things before but have heard reports from people that have. apparently they DO work & give the desired effect but, they dump a lot of the turbo's heat into the cooling system & oil so send the temperatures higher than normal. possibly safer using them in conjunction with an oil cooler & maybe a larger radiator? a good mod unless you've got a borderline cooling system...

Davezj
05-05-2010, 12:53 PM
come on, there must be more people with opinions out there, i thought this would be a "HOT" topic of debate (pardon the pun).

Turbo_Steve
05-05-2010, 10:18 PM
I've not used a turbo blanket, but I've wrapped headers and down pipes plenty of times. I didn't notice it making a significant difference to anything until I started mapping - THEN there were some differences (easier to spool, slightly less peak power).

Came to the conclusion that it's best to keep the headers hot (for spool) and have constant airflow over the turbo.

Davezj
05-05-2010, 11:15 PM
so you think the exhaust side of the turbo should cooled rather than kept hot. do you mind me asking why?

if it is beneficial if you are wrapping the headers would it not be equally beneficial to have the exhaust side of turbo covered and maybe the down pipe as well, to keep the exhaust gas as hot as possible until it gets out of the exhaust. this is just an assumption i do not know any of the theory behind it.

i can see there would be a heat build up in the oil and cooling but is that not controllable.

Turbo_Steve
05-05-2010, 11:32 PM
My experience was that it didn't seem to make much difference to the cooling systems, though I wasn't monitoring them that carefully. Both turbos were tucked away out of any airflow.

The conclusion I came to was that having a decent temperature gradient across the turbo helped it to spool up quicker, whilst restricting top end power a little.

I can only assume this has something to do with the pressure across the turbine.

i would say the differences it made in either case were fairly minimal: I recall no more than two degrees timing either way at the higher load points, and 2% duty cycle correction on the spool......you get more difference out of the ambient air temps.

What it DID do well was keep the surrounding engine bay a little cooler.

I've used one of these on a Scooby for someone, having the scoop direct cold air around the turbo area whilst the turbo is wrapped up in it's blanket. Definitely seemed to keep the temperatures lower under the bonnet.

Davezj
06-05-2010, 12:08 AM
intesting stuff there steve. i can see were you are going with the temperature gradient across the turbo.

i contacted the seller and for a 20 off buy, they work out at £46 each plus postage £16 but i might be able to get that down due to bulk shipping, but then there is the ever possible import duty and VAT if charged, so was going to try and get 2 off the seller for the same £46 price as a tester for test fit on my car and see how they perform. but i am not sure they will fit now, they might be a bit big, as i have contacted PTP about blankets, they do the same T3/T4 blankets but they recomended a flat blanket that you kind of form round the turbo and wire in place rather than the preformed type.

Turbo_Steve
06-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Nearest turbo size-wise I can think of would be the T25.

Davezj
10-05-2010, 11:34 PM
anyone else have any comments.

Kryton
19-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Did anyone ever buy one of these / source in the UK at a decent price? Most of them seem to be on eBay.com

Davezj
19-07-2012, 05:14 PM
no i never go round to buying one. but i have noticed that there are some more turbo jacket poping up on ebay
and at a better price for one off's.

but i wasn't sure which size to go for, when i got round to getting a pair.

(off he goes to check ebay)

(he comes back)

this is a better size T25 -T3
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turbo-Blanket-Heat-Shield-Cover-Turbocharger-T25-T28-T3-GT-25-28-30-32-35-Silver-/370594056606?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item564920899e
but it is china
£42 shipping free.

but if you are a bit sneeky then you can go to alibaba i think and look for the jacket on there as i find most ebay sellers just list the stuff from alibaba and put a mark up on it. the only problem with buying direct from alibaba is most of the stuff has a min order qantity.
sometimes it means you pay the same on alibaba for 6 items than you would on ebay for 2 items.
it is worth a look.

Like this one for instanst
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/250156547/turbo_heat_jacket.html
you would have to contack them for a price, but i am sure it would be at the lower end of the range as our jackets are the smallest they do.
shipping would be a bit expensive but if a few people want them it is a good deal. but it is the MOQ of 100 that is the deal breaker on this particular item.

Kryton
19-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Cheers for the info. Right, just need to find homes for the other 98 :)