PDA

View Full Version : Well I Never Knew That !

Spirit
05-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Just watching QI and they said all the gold ever mined in the world would fit into two Olympic size swimming pools !

Also, a genuine Olympic gold medal is 92.5% silver ! If it was completely 18 karat gold each one would cost £3000......which didn't seem bad too me considering all the effort the winners go too.

And.......finally.......there used to be Olympic gold medals for such things as poetry, sculpture and Poodle trimming.....amongst others !

ANTHONY
05-05-2010, 10:37 PM
[quote=Spirit]

Also, a genuine Olympic gold medal is 92.5% silver ! quote] so what is the siver medal made of 92.5% bronze? as you say bit of a con rearly

AlanDITD
05-05-2010, 11:04 PM
2 olympic sized swimming pools....i dont know wether to think thats alot or a little when you conider how much gold is in the world....people wearing jewlery etc

But then i guess it goes to show just like the medal thing how little actual gold is in the item.

Atik
05-05-2010, 11:37 PM
2 swimming pools sound like its about right. In the actual real world, yes, millions of people have gold jewellery and stuff. But think about how much a gold bracelet or necklace weighs. Also how much quantity of gold is in each piece of jewellery? Very little to be honest.

scott.mohekey
06-05-2010, 12:39 AM
Also, a lot of the 'gold' jewelery out there is gold plated.

Ryan
06-05-2010, 12:46 AM
The deepest mine in the world is a gold mine located TauTona, Carletonville - South Africa with a depth of 3900m or 12800ft.

The temperature of the rocks at this depth is 60oC or 140oF.

Gly
06-05-2010, 01:37 AM
Real Gold Medals
The last Olympic gold medals that were made entirely out of gold were awarded in 1912.

The Medals
The Olympic medals are designed especially for each individual Olympic Games by the host city's organizing committee. Each medal must be at least three millimeters thick and 60 millimeters in diameter. Also, the gold and silver Olympic medals must be made out of 92.5 percent silver, with the gold medal covered in six grams of gold.

92.5% silver is sterling silver aka "STG" or "925"

pure silver is to difficult to work with (its very soft and its not ideal for jewellery) and is alloyed down with copper

even PURE gold is not pure, its only 99.9% as its still contains minor impuritys

anyway back to work fixing + making jewellery