PDA

View Full Version : A non flash based chat?

bradc
06-05-2010, 05:06 AM
I've been waiting at a customers site for an hour now for vodafone to get an adsl connection done, and my iPhone won't go into the chat room! Any chance of updating the chat room to a non flash one?

scott.mohekey
06-05-2010, 05:11 AM
What would the alternative be? I doubt there's a silverlight client for iphone, so that would leave html?

confusis
06-05-2010, 05:39 AM
java?

my $149 voda runs Java apps no sweat and runs Opera Mini as the browser.

scott.mohekey
06-05-2010, 05:43 AM
Java midlets or applets?

bradc
06-05-2010, 06:11 AM
Or even one that has an iPhone app if that is possible?

Turbo_Steve
06-05-2010, 08:02 AM
Or you could buy a better phone? :D

miller
06-05-2010, 08:08 AM
or get a life and get off the phone and enjoy your ambient surroundings! Supposedly you have the most scenic country in the world!! :beatnik2:

bradc
06-05-2010, 08:25 AM
Steve- the phone was free :)

Mike - as above, I was at a site.

BraindG
06-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Not only would you have to find a non flash based chat app, it would have to hook into Vbulletin - perhaps this (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=99758) - But, I cant access code to see if it would work.

But im sure there are things higher up the prio list Brad :) (i.e. dont fix whats not broke :P)

foxdie
06-05-2010, 09:12 AM
The flash chat does bug me greatly, here's why:

It's slow and uses a lot of CPU
It's highly prone to timing out when you're on a high latency connection (Atik suffers from this a lot)
Not everyone has flash support on the device they want to access the chat room from
The chat log isn't persistent, if you time out for example, you miss what has been said

What would be nice is the following:

A HTML-based chat room (powered by AJAX / JSON*) that works on just about all browsers (including most smartphones such as WinMo, iPhone OS and Android)
A higher timeout threshold, so people on high latency connections (ie. dialup / 3G and those with people uploading) don't lose their connection to the chat room
A persistent log, so that when you join chat, you get the last, say, 50 lines of chat sent to you, so if you DO time out or have to restart your browser, you can come back without missing a beat
The option to send invitations to individual non-paid members to join the chat room (this would be moderated / voted for by everyone present in the chat room)

I'm happy to develop something like this for the club if needed.

* When I say JSON, I don't mean me, JSON (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON) is a method for updating web pages without reloading them

bradc
06-05-2010, 09:21 AM
Sounds superb to me!

VR4Kaos
06-05-2010, 09:21 AM
I've been waiting at a customers site for an hour now for vodafone to get an adsl connection done, and my iPhone won't go into the chat room! Any chance of updating the chat room to a non flash one?
i have the same issue

Wodjno
06-05-2010, 09:43 AM
Yep.. Non flash based Chat would be good.. Not be able to access it on any Mobs i've had on any amount of different browsers :(
I run IE, Opera Mini, Opera Mobile and Skyfire on my current mobile.. These 4 allow me to access most things(If 1 doesn't another 1 does) But still can't access Flashchat :(

scott.mohekey
06-05-2010, 09:44 AM
This sounds very good Jason. I've developed something very similar, using a js client for xmpp. But it's for work so can't be reused. I'd be happy to work with the IT guys here at club vr4 to develop a new one though.

confusis
06-05-2010, 10:14 AM
sounds good. Yeah in FF i've been having problems where the flash chat lags all of the open FF windows.

VR4Kaos
06-05-2010, 01:28 PM

It's highly prone to timing out when you're on a high latency connection (Atik suffers from this a lot)
Not everyone has flash support on the device they want to access the chat room from
The chat log isn't persistent, if you time out for example, you miss what has been said

A HTML-based chat room (powered by AJAX / JSON*) that works on just about all browsers (including most smartphones such as WinMo, iPhone OS and Android)
A higher timeout threshold, so people on high latency connections (ie. dialup / 3G and those with people uploading) don't lose their connection to the chat room
A persistent log, so that when you join chat, you get the last, say, 50 lines of chat sent to you, so if you DO time out or have to restart your browser, you can come back without missing a beat
The option to send invitations to individual non-paid members to join the chat room (this would be moderated / voted for by everyone present in the chat room)

* When I say JSON, I don't mean me, JSON (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON) is a method for updating web pages without reloading them
this sounds fantasic !!!

Kieran
06-05-2010, 06:09 PM
The only upgrade I am bothered about in any future version is having use of a suitable pan smiley. /pan

I have just about worn out my keyboard from typing /me pans.... /pan /pan

Nitephyre
07-05-2010, 05:30 AM
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Tapatalk, although it mightn't work if the chat isn't embedded into the forum... iDon't know, i'Ve never used it as iDont have an iPhone

foxdie
16-06-2010, 11:48 AM
I'm bumping this because Flash Chat is poo, 100% CPU is cooking my goddam testicles when I have my laptop on my lap :)

I've done some probing (oh my!), I'm fairly confident I can make a non-flash chat room that requires very little change to the site itself (only the uploading of the new chat room assets), the data feed that the flash movie uses is XML-based already so I can knock something up with jQuery relatively easily.

Nutter_John
16-06-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm bumping this because Flash Chat is poo, 100% CPU is cooking my goddam testicles when I have my laptop on my lap :)

Then put some clothes on you sicko :P

SGHOM
16-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Sounds good to me jase....... I miss winding peeps up in chat! :vulcan:

foxdie
16-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Then put some clothes on you sicko :P

Thats with jeans on /pan ;)

Beastlee
16-06-2010, 12:16 PM
+1 from me. Flash is dead, long live HTML5 :)

scottie2hotti
18-06-2010, 05:05 AM

What about make the whole forum JSON then we dont have to keep refreshing when a heated discussing going on. Or am i getting greedy?

foxdie
18-06-2010, 09:21 AM
What about make the whole forum JSON then we dont have to keep refreshing when a heated discussing going on. Or am i getting greedy?
I set up a small page not long ago that would refresh "Posts 24hr" every 60 seconds, you can find it HERE (http://trackmygps.co.uk/vr4.html)

There are a few caveats however;
The auto-refresher is completely safe, it won't capture any information, I welcome people to look at the source code as it's ridiculously simple :)
The auto-refresher will reload the "Posts 24hr" page every 60 seconds religiously. If you click on a link, you will get redirected back to the "Posts 24hr" page within 60 seconds or less. To avoid this, open the page you want to view in a new tab / window
In using this auto-refresher it makes you "appear online" in the Who's Online? (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/online.php) page, even if you go AFK for several hours, keep this in mind and remember to close the window if you step away. You can always reopen it later ;)
There's a minor annoyance with the Pager; A pager message will appear and you'll start typing in a reply in the auto-refreshing window and suddenly it refreshes the page, so you lose what you've typed in. Again, opening a new tab / window to any page on the site will allow you to reply safely

Also, just as an update, I've managed to reverse-engineer the protocol that FlashChat uses, I'm going to start building a non-flash based chat room that'll work seamlessly with FlashChat (Person X using non-FlashChat will be able to talk to Person Y using FlashChat and vice-versa) :)

I'll keep you all posted, but keep in mind this will need vetting by the committee before it's made available :)

foxdie
21-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Just a minor update, a mostly-finished mock-up done in CSS, looks pretty close to the actual FlashChat yeah? :)

uploaded/51922/1277145742.png

elnevio
22-06-2010, 01:11 AM
Looks pretty neato Jase! :thumbsup:

foxdie
26-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Okay, this is making some good progress, you may see me popping in and out randomly of chat (I'll try not to leave it signed in for more than 5 seconds whilst testing) over the next few days whilst I steamroller this beyotch to completion! /woot2

SGHOM
26-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Coolio :pimp2:

BraindG
27-07-2010, 09:28 AM
not to steal thunder but why not just use stuff already available and maintainted in the vb community? - it all fully integrates into the forum software, regular updates etc.

non flash chat - http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71049
auto refresh new posts - http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=108314

foxdie
27-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Excuse me whilst I mutter profanities (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqTHmzMk0Cw) into the swear jar..

SOUP!

(I think I'm still gonna continue building it though, not much point stopping now it's 90% finished..)

foxdie
28-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Muhaha, getting there, thought I'd immortalise this moment ;)

uploaded/51922/1280322486.png

About 90% of the way there now :chugchug:

Confused
28-07-2010, 02:20 PM
Looking good, Jason :)

Hopefully much more reliable than that flash-thing!

Turbo_Steve
28-07-2010, 05:38 PM
May I suggest that you settle for a grey or white background instead of the blue?

It gives you a wider range of text colours available (without clashing) and the added benefit that you could, potentially, open it at work without everyone crowding round to see what the blue thing is?

foxdie
28-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Photoshop it to how you'd like to look it and I'll swatch out the colours in the stylesheet :)

foxdie
30-07-2010, 02:07 PM
uploaded/51922/1280495131.png

95% Finished now, nice and easy to use movable dialogs added :)

Only got smiley support and possibly sound to add then it just needs vetting by NJ / Steve :)

taylor
01-08-2010, 02:53 PM
ill happily volunteer to beta test on iphone...

or, an iphone app? that would be cool

BraindG
01-08-2010, 06:34 PM
an iphone app? that would be cool
Already on that, keep eyes pealed.

foxdie
02-08-2010, 08:19 AM

Good man :D

taylor
02-08-2010, 09:53 AM

Sweet, If theres anything I can do to help let me know!

Beastlee
02-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Same here, have Iphone 3GS on 3.x software and soon to have iPhone 4 too.

foxdie
02-08-2010, 02:33 PM
+rep to taylor for taking 4 hours of his evening to convert all the smileys from flashchat to animated gifs for non-flashchat :)

foxdie
12-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Submitted an update to webchat to Barry that includes sound effects and loading chat history on startup :thumbsup: