PDA

View Full Version : VR4 indicators

Scanny
07-05-2010, 04:48 AM
i have been reliabley informed that it is possible to remove the orange filter from the stock VR4 indicators. can someone give me an idiots guide on how this is achieved please?

taupodrifta
07-05-2010, 05:20 AM
there is an article somewhere that tells you how to do it but cant seem to find it at the moment or there is one on ozvr4

HMG1K
07-05-2010, 05:31 AM
Don't you want your super-duper two-piece unit with glass headlamp units?!

:-)

Scanny
07-05-2010, 05:36 AM
im happy with all of my lighting, or will be once i get my hands on the fog lights i need to complete the set. speaking of which, i dont even know where to start on accessing them. i may need to have a closer look but i dont think my manual covers these fog lights.

this post is not for my car. i am merely acquiring the clear side repeaters, bulbs and (hopefully) knowledge

swinks
07-05-2010, 06:50 AM
i have been reliabley informed that it is possible to remove the orange filter from the stock VR4 indicators. can someone give me an idiots guide on how this is achieved please?
To do so, you must disassembly whole light cluster. Heat gun, or preheated oven to 110C. Then flat screwdrivers and slowly doing. Not a easy job.
Orange plastic bits are hold by one screw. After removal, you simply put lights back together and use orange P21W bulb.
BTW, don't leave you lights for longer than minute in a oven - you melt them. Just check on them.

elnevio
07-05-2010, 06:54 AM
Stock VR-4 indicators are part of the headlight unit, i.e. they are one-piece units. Also, the VR-4 unit is not glass, it is polycarbonate - and several VR-4 owners 'upgrade' to the two-piece glass items found on the UK cars, usually the ones with clear indicators. Fortunately, they are interchangeable!

The orange filter can indeed be removed from the headlight unit.

The common method is to heat up the entire unit in the oven (something along the lines of 100C for a couple of minutes (don't quote me!)) so that the sealant goes soft. The headlight front will then prise off. You then remove the orange filter, which is held in place by one screw. Then it's everything back in the oven to soften the sealant again, and the front goes straight back on.

The alternative method (I have used this) is to cut a hole in the plastic body directly under the indicator section. You then have two holes (including the bulb-holder hole) to get in there with a screwdriver and pliers to muller the orange filter to bits. Once fully removed (might need to hoover some of the smaller orange particles out!) you then use some sealant to seal the hole you made.

Either way, job done. Just remember to put in some silvertech (or whatever) bulbs. They should be the bulbs that DON'T have offset pins.

HMG1K
07-05-2010, 06:56 AM
Stock VR-4 indicators are part of the headlight unit, i.e. they are one-piece units. Also, the VR-4 unit is not glass, it is polycarbonate - and several VR-4 owners 'upgrade' to the two-piece glass items found on the UK cars.

:iagree: :scholar:

kNuTz
07-05-2010, 08:56 AM
You mean like this?
I have the front amber section removed and the side indicators clear as well.

taupodrifta
07-05-2010, 09:08 AM
I have just finished doing mine by cutting a hole in the bottom of the light. I tried the heating optiona week or so ago and gave up as was doing it with a hair drier as lights dont fit in the oven. That was so hard so gave up. Cutting the hole in the bottom was so much easier then when finished I just plastic welded the cut back together with an extremely hot soldering iron. Hey presto no more orange indicator. Now to just buy some orange bulbs

Scanny
07-05-2010, 10:28 AM
thanks guys. just one more thing
the headlights/indicators didnt change through the facelift did they? in other words a PFL headlight would fit a FL car and vice versa?

elnevio
07-05-2010, 11:20 AM
thanks guys. just one more thing
the headlights/indicators didnt change through the facelift did they? in other words a PFL headlight would fit a FL car and vice versa?
Correct. The JDM headlight/indicator unit did not change at all. The UK only changed the colour of the indicator glass.

GalantOnly
07-05-2010, 12:10 PM
That's funny... We only have a glass headlights here on all LHD vehicles and several Galant owners upgrade them to JDM plasic lights and it's like quite cool... But I can see, that RHD owners seem to go the opposite way - from plastic to glass...
The grass is definately greener on the other side /yes

ianturbo
08-05-2010, 11:55 PM
I used a heat gun on mine , was a ten min job , and they won't fit in my oven !!ian

PaddyB
09-05-2010, 10:59 AM
They didn't fit in my oven so I did them with the door slightly ajar. Easy job really & no condensation since I did it (~2 yrs ago).

I do remember that after a few mins one half of the light cooled enough to be handled withouts gloves but the other was still red hot - as I discovered when I picked it up. Use mits.

Kryton
10-05-2010, 01:18 PM
They look far better kNuTz. All of a sudden i've had the urge to dig out my heat gun

kNuTz
14-05-2010, 08:56 AM
Yea one thing I really hate is the amber around the car, so no more!
Haven't been "pulled" over yet in regards to white indicator lights as well...will wait and see :)

Only other this is it's just a shame the aren't any options for the taillights though...