PDA

View Full Version : Finally back on the road. (nearly)

Mark 4
08-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Well, went for an MOT this morning, failed on emissions and headlight alignment, well pleased with that, both easy to fix.

However, whilst driving to and from the MOT station I noticed a vibration when accelerating, not bone shaking but as bad as a wheel that is out of balance and quite similar.

What should I be looking at ???

Kitty's VR4
08-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Engine/Gearbox mounts, would probably be the place to start ???

Nick Mann
09-05-2010, 07:39 AM
Inner CV joint. This can wear, leading to an out of centre drive shaft - this gives a wobble on acceleration related to speed rather than revs. When you back off, the shaft drops back in to centre and the wobble stops.

Not certain on an internet diagnosis, but it's a good place to start!

One potential solution is to swap the green cups from one drive shaft to the other - this effectively puts the wear on the undriven face of the inner CV joint. Not a perfect solution, but should solve the issue for at least the short term.

miller
09-05-2010, 09:29 AM
woohooo nearly back on the road! Thats a good job remembering the 'empty' state of the car when i saw it! Im impressed!

Mark 4
09-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Thanks Mike.

Thanks Nick.

I was thinking drive shaft but it was fine last time I drove it so was wondering if I had somehow got something wrong when I put it all back together. Will investigate today.

Mark 4
09-05-2010, 07:07 PM
You were nearly right Nick.

Some muppet had not pushed the cup onto the output spline properly :vogel:

Good job I had the boost controller off /yes /yes

Mark 4
09-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Right, It's all back together but there is a lot of backlash on the CV joint. Guess I buggered it.

So, 3 questions

a) Can someone please let me have the part numbers for both front CV joints.

b) Where should I get them from. Is genuine better ?

c) Dothey come with the shaft that goes into the hub ?

Nick Mann
10-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Don't have part number access at the moment.

I only know of genuine.

You can buy inner CV or the whole driveshaft, but there isn't much difference in price, both options are expensive.

Gowf
10-05-2010, 04:33 PM
How much movement is there Mark?

There should be no movement rotationaly, but you will get in and outward movement.

Unfortunately i cant sort you out with the joints, as they arnt evo, but if you do go down the new route you get the cup and the spider to attach to the end of the shaft.

The EDFC is in the post mate!

Mark 4
10-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Cheers Gareth.

There is rotational movement aplenty. It's definately destined for the great CV joint playground in the sky.

PT is looking one out for me. That'll do for the moment and I'll get new ones in the summer.