PDA

View Full Version : Good mechanic in chch.

Patryn999
08-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Yeah, went to go to track day (funnily enough!) today, gunned it past an integra and heard a god-awful noise in the rear. First I thought my exhaust had dropped off and was scraping along ground (funny these things that go through your mind!) however clutch in and slowed down and it does this:

God awful "chunk" possibly about 2-3 times each wheel rotation, especially bad if you have to corner (I limped the 100 meters back home at walking pace). but noise dies away (at least in straight line) if you put clutch in. Diff fluid leaking, but not from where it was previously, but towards the front (doesn't appear to be from the main drive-shaft input thou).

I'm over working on cars for now so I think I'll pay someone to fix it for me! Probably be on the lookout for a new diff I suspect. Also wondering how much more the S-AYC diff's cost in NZ.

Track day doesn't want any of my flat their apparently :P Mates commodore shat through a feul pump and cant get another in time, the RX-7 is pissing fluid out underneath the intake manifold and mine (appears) to have eaten a diff.

Adam.Findlay
09-05-2010, 05:28 AM
I would be more then happy to help you change the diff dude. i have the appropriate tools. i just dont have the right gear to bleed the ayc system but i know a guy who has. and smoehekey has 2 entire rear subframes with diffs and a diff on its own if you ask him to buy one. also last time i looked at them the S-AYC's were selling from between 1 and 2k so not cheap. for that kind of money you could get a evo rs rear diff which would be infinetly stronger

taylor
09-05-2010, 05:30 AM
Dude wheres the fun in paying someone to do it.
Surely we could arrange a few of us to lend a hand? Theres a few of us in christchurch that have swapped over atleast one diff. isnt too much of a mission.

Scott (Smohkey) has a few AYC diffs I beleive

taylor
09-05-2010, 05:30 AM
your a cock adam bet me too it by a minute

Adam.Findlay
09-05-2010, 05:35 AM
your a cock adam bet me too it by a minute
haha message was the same we all keen to lend a hand. not that it takes 3 or more people to swap a diff in a vr4 haha

taylor
09-05-2010, 05:57 AM
yea dude. uhm im thinking we should do a chch meet or something tho.... few new members and some im yet to meet.

and re bleeding ayc ive seen a thread on here about bleeding ayc by hooking switches up to the pump harness or somethig allong those lines. And with the evos it can be done with evoscan, is this the same for VR4 i wonder???

Adam.Findlay
09-05-2010, 06:06 AM
yeah sweet man im keen for a meet too. gota sort my brakes after track day first

Patryn999
09-05-2010, 06:16 AM
I can bleed the AYC as I have an openport 2.0 cable and evoscan, so (I think) no problem there. It'd be great to meet people, and I'm sure I can buy beer and food for everyone who lends a hand. I have contacts to someone with an a-frame as well so I should be able to get the car anywhere - i.e. if someone has a pit to make things easier!.

Its just a little awkward asking strangers outright to take their time to fix my car :S

I'm talking with Smohkey at the moment to get a replacement, as I had to re-do the start of the thread on one axle/driveshaft and would feel safer replacing it outright.

Hey, thanks Adamn and Taylor for replying, making me feel better about the whole thing. :)

taylor
09-05-2010, 06:20 AM
no problems dude. have a look at what happened to mine

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47199

ooo you have evoscan. always wanted to have a play.

And driveshafts, i have two ayc ones floating around if you dont want to buy complete system off scott, or just replace the cv ($30 new?)

Patryn999
09-05-2010, 06:45 AM
Well, feel free to borrow it if you want. I'm waiting to put a carputer in there before I much past the nosey-ing stage.

Man, you guys seem to have parts coming out of your ears! Feel I should definately be sorted. Yeah if scott doesn't feel like parting with just one then I'll send some money your way and fleece that instead. Cheers.

I had a laugh at that poor diff :S loving the bits of teeth everywhere!

EDIT: If you borrow the cable you'll have to find your own laptop sadly. Using my one as the climbing club email server at the moment as our hosting dropped their decent email support.

scott.mohekey
09-05-2010, 07:32 AM
I'm more than happy to help out with any mechanic work, we've done a fair bit at my place (before I moved), like replacing a clutch, stripping out a couple of vr4s, engine swaps etc. I've got a heap of tools besides what Adam has, a lot of them special tools for various parts of the cars. I also have a LOT more parts than what I have listed in the other thread, so if you ever need anything, feel free to ask.

Adam.Findlay
09-05-2010, 08:37 AM
yeah not all of s have a lot of parts. once vr-4 fever has you you go insane. like in scotts case. he has a whole storage unit full of vr-4 crap. haha. but yeah man some one hunt out a bbq and we can make a weekend out of fixing your car. i have a kind of llarge concrete cort yard at my flat we could do it there. haha i could get a keg from the wholesalers if we get real keen

taylor
09-05-2010, 12:49 PM
I could get a keg from the wholesalers if we get real keen

KEEN! :givemebee ... :chugchug: ... :runkest:

I have a bbq but its not the most transportable. esp cos i have a galant

Patryn999
09-05-2010, 09:19 PM
I have a bbq but its not the most transportable. esp cos i have a galant

You're just not trying hard enough ;) Haha. I have an old 3-burner from the days when I was a student that I could bring.

Adam.Findlay
09-05-2010, 10:34 PM
yeah man eiher way, both scott and i have legnums. whats a good date? this sunday or something like that

scott.mohekey
09-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Sunday doesn't really work for me. I will be hungover to the extreme. We're having a flat warming on the saturday night.

Adam.Findlay
09-05-2010, 10:39 PM
haha sweet as well i have work to 3pm on saturdays

taylor
10-05-2010, 12:59 AM
haha im free all weekend most weekends.

im thinking we should start a new threas and and see who in chch is available when for a meet/workshop day. Or are you looking to get this sorted asap dude?

surprised Kayne hasnt stepped in here

scott.mohekey
10-05-2010, 01:00 AM
Kayne is in Thailand at the moment. I'm not sure how long for though.

Patryn999
10-05-2010, 09:28 AM
Well I would like to get it back on the road :P (I'm sure anyone would!) but if next weekend suits everyone better then it'll be next weekend.

Currently carpooling to work. In a bluebird (sigh).

Patryn999
11-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Judging from the responses (thanks every1!) It'll probably suit next weekend better so I can turn it into a general meet-and-greet as well. If someone has a pit or a lift it'd probably make things easier to get my car around there, otherwise I've got a small concrete area we can get car up on axle stands and work on (about 2.5 carparks space) bbq and a spa ;) rest of area is grass. Stands tend to sink a lil...

Worth making a "Help Carl replace his diff & general meet weekend" thread, or sort out where to have it first? (I live down Steadman Road, Russley).

P.S. You realise how nicely the Galant handles after driving the flatmates bluebird around! Miss having my own car...

Adam.Findlay
11-05-2010, 11:35 AM
well i have a large concrete courtyard. i recently used it to wreck smoehekeys car, have a deck but no bbq. i have all the tools required to do a rear diff except a 32mm socket but smohekey has one of those. i also have four axle stands and a jack, (a crap jack but it does the job) my flatmates will be keen for a bbq and a few beers too.

scott.mohekey
11-05-2010, 11:36 AM
I've got a real jack I can bring along.

taylor
11-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Adam you know what i have bro so just holla. And carl could you bring your open port 2 cable and the evoscan software dude. I'll bring my laptop along. Im assuming it works over usb.

I also have some nice shiny amsoil atf fluid if you want to put it in your ayc. I bought it for mine but it blew up before i had a chance to chage it.

Youl also need some gear oil. Gl5 spec, 1l will do it.

What did you end up doing bout axel mate?

taylor
11-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Thread started here guys

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48817

Patryn999
11-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Not sure about driveshaft, scott said he might have one spare (was going to look) but haven't heard anything so thats probably a no. How much would you take for yours?

I'll bring my socket set and my mates bahco one (has 32mm socket I believe). Maybe a strong-arm and a bit of pipe too. I probably own most of the tools required, its just I lack the experience/knowledge to do it competently.... without wrecking something :O

Yeah I'll bring the evoscan/ecuflash software on a usb stick and we can play with evoscan and see who can read their ECU's. It is a USB connector so any laptop post 1995 will do!

Adam.Findlay
11-05-2010, 10:14 PM
yeah ill do a bit of logging with evo scan. just need to borow a laptop because the battery on mine is shagged and wont last the car ride.. scott has an entire rear subframe at my house including diffs and halfshafts. so we can either swap the whole thing over or we could just do the diff. either way we have to change the fluids in the diff but lifting the whole subframe into position is going to be a dog of a job.
scince it looks like its happening at my place we are going to need
-a good jack
-32mm socket
-A second set of ratchets and spanners (so 2 people can work on it at the same time as i think a spanner or two went missing when i was wrecking scotts car)
-a funnel or other apperatus to fill diff with oil
-bbq
-steak
-beer
-and VR-4's

apart from that i have every thing else. i have pliers, screwdrivers, axle stands, drip tray, sockets and a powerbar

taylor
12-05-2010, 05:07 AM
I'll have my laptop adam, It lasts at least an hour so unless were going out to goon for some paddock bashing and evo scanning then we should be allgood.

We it would be good if someone had a suction pump thing or even like a massive syringe. otherwise I have funnel with tube attachment on it which we could mate up to some garden hose to get it above the car.

See what you can arrange with Scott for the driveshafts so then I don't have to split the two, plus you would need to re grease the CV as it was petrol bathed

But its here if your stuck.

Ill a couple of 12mm spanners (for the prop shaft flange) and my various array of tube sockets which seem to come in handy.

yeah ill do a bit of logging with evo scan. just need to borow a laptop because the battery on mine is shagged and wont last the car ride.. scott has an entire rear subframe at my house including diffs and halfshafts. so we can either swap the whole thing over or we could just do the diff. either way we have to change the fluids in the diff but lifting the whole subframe into position is going to be a dog of a job.
scince it looks like its happening at my place we are going to need
-a good jack
-32mm socket
-A second set of ratchets and spanners (so 2 people can work on it at the same time as i think a spanner or two went missing when i was wrecking scotts car)
-a funnel or other apperatus to fill diff with oil
-bbq
-steak
-beer
-and VR-4's

apart from that i have every thing else. i have pliers, screwdrivers, axle stands, drip tray, sockets and a powerbar

Adam.Findlay
12-05-2010, 06:20 AM
schweet well i think all we need now to change the diff is a 14mm cos thats what i lost in the process of doing scotts red car. and thats the diff cradle bolts

taylor
12-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Okay il bring a couple. I might even splurge out and buy some tools before the meet :)