PDA

View Full Version : rear passive toe control.

Davezj
09-05-2010, 11:47 PM
I know the rear toe control arm controls the small amount of rear toe as the suspension gets loaded up, but how much toe does it put on the rear when fully loaded up.

my tyres on the back are starting to ware on the inside edge of the tyre. now some of this will be the camber and some will be the toe.
i carry a lot of stuff in the boot and the rear end is loaded up, there is about one or two finger gap from tyre to arch, so it is quite low even though it is not lowered.

So my real question is the following.
Is the rear internal edge of the tyre being warn by the negative camber, or the toe that is being applied when it is not actually needed due to the suspension being loaded up continuously by the amount of stuff i carry in the boot.

It is probably a combination of both but it would be good to know what the max toe is when suspension is fully loaded. or is there a easy way to measure it. i know you can get the camber measuring gadget that magnetically attaches to the brake disk to show the camber (kind of spirit level thing).

i had an idea to make an adjustable rear toe control arm, to combat unwanted toe, when lots of stuff is in the boot perminently.

All help welcome.

fluffnik
10-05-2010, 12:05 AM
Might longer/stiffer springs not be a simpler solution?

Davezj
10-05-2010, 12:23 AM
it would be a solution to my particular issue but i would still like to know what the total toe change will be.
And max/min camber if it is known already.

bradc
10-05-2010, 05:11 AM
What is your toe set to at the moment statically with no load? Then what does the machine measure with a heavy load in the back?

Gly
10-05-2010, 06:24 AM
it will be camber,

toe can already be adjust a fair bit from stock.
as the car goes lower its gets more toe in (very little), which actually transfers more stress towards the center of the tyre,

you will have to either apply a camber mod,
or get stiffer springs,

have the car wheel alignment done at load in which case it wont be right unloaded

psbarham
10-05-2010, 06:37 AM
I doubt its passive toe control, more likely to be bump steer caused by the unequal length wisbones and track arms