PDA

View Full Version : Christchurch Workshop Day - BBQ - CVR4 Meet

taylor
11-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Okay. Carl (Patryn999) needs his ayc diff replaced. Sounds like will be doing it at Adams flat in Upper Riccarton next Sunday the 23rd may.

Be really good to see / meet some CHCH members and their cars.

Good oppertunity to get any little jobs done on your car with a hand from lots of like minded people.

Whos Keen?

p.s anyone in CHCH have a gaurd roller the could bring to the workshop day??

Patryn999
11-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Oh, Oh. I'm keen :D haha...

Adam.Findlay
11-05-2010, 10:07 PM
yip hopefully you can sort the short shifter buy out in time so we can all do that too

scott.mohekey
12-05-2010, 12:01 AM
I'll have a bunch of stuff to do on my car that weekend too. New side skirts, new speakers, two amps, battery to boot, new cold air feed, suspension change, swap bearings from old car, etc..

Adam.Findlay
12-05-2010, 01:36 AM
its a plan then. well your axle stands are still here as is your engine hoist so we are good to go. i have a soldering iron. heat shrink and solder too for any electrical stuff

Patryn999
12-05-2010, 01:52 AM
If we need anymore in the way of soldering iron's I have a nice gas one, as well as a Wella temp-controlled base station one. Should probably bring a multimeter along as well in case anyone has electrical issues. Being an electrical engineer I'm good at that, just not the worlds best application mechanic!

If anyone has blown amps/etc I can take a quick squizz (takes about 5-10 mins, mostly dismantling) and tell you if its gona be a quick $5 of parts fix, or something that requires further investigation.

mattnz
12-05-2010, 02:16 AM
I could be keen to make the trip up, will see how finances go.

Johny
12-05-2010, 02:26 AM
speaking of soldering irons anyone feel like fixing my clock? :P

Johny
12-05-2010, 02:27 AM
If we need anymore in the way of soldering iron's I have a nice gas one, as well as a Wella temp-controlled base station one. Should probably bring a multimeter along as well in case anyone has electrical issues. Being an electrical engineer I'm good at that, just not the worlds best application mechanic!

If anyone has blown amps/etc I can take a quick squizz (takes about 5-10 mins, mostly dismantling) and tell you if its gona be a quick $5 of parts fix, or something that requires further investigation.

oooh you've struck my interest here lol

scott.mohekey
12-05-2010, 02:32 AM
I have a couple of soldering irons I can bring along as well. If all goes to plan I'll be stripping my dash and front seats out, rewiring the dash loom with a replacement (one that has side airbag support), wiring in a pair of amps (one for the door speakers, one for a sub), putting in wires for the new speakers, moving the battery to the boot etc. Should be fun!

taylor
12-05-2010, 02:47 AM
Funny how us vr4 owners all have similar intrests eh.

I should have a 7202 ecu. I have never checked but I'd assume so being a 1998 pfl. Keen to have a small fiddle with ecuflash/evoscan. But nothing major until I get a wideband.

Be good to have a big meet aye. Maybe we should pm some chch members about the meet?

Adam.Findlay
12-05-2010, 06:21 AM

one of my spot lights isnt working. so I can do your diff if you do my spotlight in exchange?? sound good :) awesome

Adam.Findlay
12-05-2010, 06:24 AM
speaking of soldering irons anyone feel like fixing my clock? :P
i have a fixed clock at my house dude because i removed my clock to fit gauges so you can take my old one in excange for your broken one and ill fix it up incase i want my clock back. sound good

Johny
12-05-2010, 06:58 AM
yup assuming you can get it out of my car ive had no luck getting mine out haha

Adam.Findlay
12-05-2010, 07:01 AM
its easy man. just gota push it the right way.

scott.mohekey
12-05-2010, 07:12 AM
Just needs some force.

Patryn999
12-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Or maybe THE force?

scott.mohekey
12-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Apply midichlorians liberally to the problem area.

taylor
15-05-2010, 08:16 AM
:bump: anyone else in chch keen?

Adam.Findlay
16-05-2010, 02:17 PM
righto so whats the list of people?
and who can bring a bbq gas bottle inclusive. Keep in mind i have a towbar if needed and how are we getting patryn999's car to my place to do the work on it?
figured i would ask the important questions in time to organise

Adam.Findlay
16-05-2010, 02:19 PM
by the looks its smohekey, taylor, patryn999, johnny and possibly matt nz. just pm me if your coming and ill reply with address once a time is sorted

taylor
16-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Sofar

Myself
Adam
Carl
Scott

to confirm:
johny
mattnz

don't think Kayne can make it. But I think we could Try peer pressuring him into making an apperance.

What other memebers do we have in chch we can invite along? Djb160 Archie chxwagon maybe?

taylor
16-05-2010, 02:23 PM
I can sort BBQ and gas if Adam comes and grabs it on the trailor

Adam.Findlay
16-05-2010, 03:15 PM
i dont have a trailor but yeah. good plan. archie ill txt him even though he doesnt have a vr-4 anymore. ahah taylor on cvr4 at 1.30am. and me doing my uni asignment.

taylor
16-05-2010, 09:21 PM
I have trailor here. Yea. Joys of not being able to sleap and a phone with push email

scott.mohekey
16-05-2010, 11:20 PM
I'll be bringing the following:

Air compressor and assorted air tools (I want to swap some springs around and its FAR easier with a compressor).
Large jack.
Assorted sockets (1/2" drive, shallow and deep 3/8" drive, etc).
Soldering iron.
Multimeter.
Laptop for evoscan.

Is there anything else anyone can think of?

taylor
16-05-2010, 11:28 PM
ok. i will be bringing my laptop aswell.

Probably not worth me bringing my new toolset. With you and adam having powerbuilt tools there, probably not a good idea to have a third set.

Scott can you bring the panel filter. Il bring $$

I need to:
regrease an inner cv.
swap intercoolers.
Fix interior light
evoscan my car

scott.mohekey
16-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Sure Taylor, I can bring the boost gauge too if you want.

My todo list is:

Remove driver's side front wheel fender.
Install alarm siren behind front wheel fender.
Install electronic boost controller ECU behind front wheel fender.
Install electronic boost gauge sensor in engine bay.
Change engine oil and filter, installing oil pressure and temp sensors in sandwich plate.
MAYBE change filter and flush auto trans fluid, installing oil pressure temp sensors in sandwich plate (Could just change filter).
MAYBE shift battery to boot.
Install new driver's side front wheel fender.
Remove front seats.
Remove center floor console.
Remove entire dash.
Remove turbo timer.
Remove dash loom.
Install new dash loom with side air bag wiring.
MAYBE install alarm.
Install wiring for various gauges.
Run wiring for amps and speakers.
Install new speakers.
Reinstall dash.
Reinstall center floor console.
Install front seats with side airbags from crashed car.
Remove front and rear suspension struts.
Remove super low king springs from rear struts.
Install tanabe sustec low springs on rear monroe struts and front monroe struts from project car.
Reinstall front and rear struts.
Remove side skirts.
Test fit super vr4 side skirts.
Install front and rear braces.
Install replacement bonnet.

And probably some other things I've forgotten.

I doubt I'll be able to get through all of this, but I can certainly try.

Patryn999
17-05-2010, 02:59 AM
Well, I have an average gas-bottle and 3-burner bbq but someone might have one thats better. I'm trying to get a friend (old president of Canterbury Motosoc) who currently has their car-trailer to move it to outside your house on Friday after work. He owes me after I fixed electrics on 3 of his cars over the last few years :P

Just hoping my car isn't so low it cant get up onto the ramp XD

Uh, I'll be coming ;)

scott.mohekey
17-05-2010, 03:01 AM
Just hoping my car isn't so low it cant get up onto the ramp XD

Nothing a few planks of wood won't fix.

Johny
17-05-2010, 04:21 AM
I'll be bringing the following:

Air compressor and assorted air tools (I want to swap some springs around and its FAR easier with a compressor).
Large jack.
Assorted sockets (1/2" drive, shallow and deep 3/8" drive, etc).
Soldering iron.
Multimeter.
Laptop for evoscan.

Is there anything else anyone can think of?

clock and rearview mirror? lol
or you talking about tools?

scott.mohekey
17-05-2010, 04:30 AM
Tools, parts, anything. Do you want me to bring a spare rear view mirror, I have one somewhere. And I think Adam was going to give up his clock.

Johny
17-05-2010, 04:43 AM
thats tru thats what i get for trying to remember things for myself haha

Goku
17-05-2010, 04:58 AM
Wow, sounds like it's going to be a good day lol

Yea, I won't be able to make it at this stage, there are things I have to after being away for 2 weeks.

However, I have some news about an upcoming trackday :)

Archie
17-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Shakes you guys have heaps to do! I'll come along and see if i can help out. I also can prob get a BBQ if you want. And a van or hilux surf if some big things need taking?

mattnz
17-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Yeah, could still be keen. Need to sort out my ABS woes. Does anyone have a spare ABS accumulator? And maybe Evoscan?

scott.mohekey
17-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Matt, if you're talking about the abs ecu, I MIGHT have one.

Patryn999
17-05-2010, 09:55 AM
Yeah, also we will have at least one (mine) openport 2.0 cable and evoscan, I haven't played with it enough to be familar but I'm sure it can't be harder than some of the UI's I've done battle with in the past...

scott.mohekey
17-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Is the openport 2.0 cable required? I have an openport 1.3 cable.

mattnz
17-05-2010, 10:33 AM
The accumulator is for storing pressure in the ABS system, I don't know exactly what they look like in the VR4, but should be near the pump.

scott.mohekey
17-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Which pump?

mattnz
17-05-2010, 11:04 AM
The ABS pump, probably looks a bit like this:
http://www.adenracing.com/Pictures/SC_Parts/SC_Accumulator.JPG

But yeah, I haven't had a look under the bonnet to locate it, so I might be barking up the wrong tree.

scott.mohekey
17-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Hmm.. I've never seen anything like that. I'm assuming the ABS pump is the thing that all of the brake lines go into before heading off to the brakes.

taylor
17-05-2010, 02:08 PM
scott does that mean u will have some lowering spring you will want to part with?

scott.mohekey
17-05-2010, 08:38 PM
scott does that mean u will have some lowering spring you will want to part with?

It does indeed. I'm pretty sure they're actually for a galant anyway.

Adam.Findlay
18-05-2010, 12:09 AM
Shakes you guys have heaps to do! I'll come along and see if i can help out. I also can prob get a BBQ if you want. And a van or hilux surf if some big things need taking?
van would be fantastic.

Fully
18-05-2010, 01:03 AM
Might as well add me as well.

Ill fix your clock Johnny :D

Johny
18-05-2010, 01:45 AM
Might as well add me as well.

Ill fix your clock Johnny :D

lol you can fix my powersteering if your feeling generous :P

taylor
18-05-2010, 03:27 AM
Wow, sounds like it's going to be a good day lol

Yea, I won't be able to make it at this stage, there are things I have to after being away for 2 weeks.

However, I have some news about an upcoming trackday :)

Surley you could pop down for a sausage and a beer to say hi????????

Goku
18-05-2010, 03:31 AM
Well, as it turns out my brother still hasn't done the oil change in his leggie, so I might steal that and come along lol.

scott.mohekey
18-05-2010, 03:47 AM
We may have to park some of them on the road.. good thing its a culdesac!

mattnz
18-05-2010, 05:03 AM
Hmm.. I've never seen anything like that. I'm assuming the ABS pump is the thing that all of the brake lines go into before heading off to the brakes.

Right, I've had a look and I can't see it either, so I might just assume it doesn't exist. The car has been converted to manual, so maybe someone could tell me if ASC Error code 78 is normal for a convert?

scott.mohekey
18-05-2010, 05:32 AM
Hmm, that code does appear to be for a system pressure accumulator sensor. But it's for ASC, not ABS. There is no 78 error for ABS as far as I can see.

I've forgotten what ASC is!

mattnz
18-05-2010, 05:39 AM
ASC is the Active Stability Control for autos with it. I don't need it any more, so if it's not affecting the ABS I really don't care.

In the past I've gotten ABS system errors from other lights, i.e. Got the sensor error from the AYC.

I think I'll check the rotor teeth, and if I don't find anything might need to take it into the garage :/

scott.mohekey
18-05-2010, 05:41 AM
So to recap, is there actually any noticeable problem (I forget)?

mattnz
18-05-2010, 05:49 AM
Yep, the ABS light is on. But there are also errors from the ABS system, involving the FL sensor, which has been replaced, so it's either the abs rotor or voodoo magic I would imagine.

taylor
18-05-2010, 09:19 AM
ASC is the Active Stability Control for autos with it. I don't need it any more, so if it's not affecting the ABS I really don't care.

In the past I've gotten ABS system errors from other lights, i.e. Got the sensor error from the AYC.

I think I'll check the rotor teeth, and if I don't find anything might need to take it into the garage :/

Well scott probably has the biggest collection of vr4 parts this side of the cook strait. So if you want to swap bits over he would be the man to see

scott.mohekey
18-05-2010, 09:22 AM
I do have some cvs with the abs sensors still on them.

Adam.Findlay
18-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Well scott probably has the biggest collection of vr4 parts this side of the cook strait. So if you want to swap bits over he would be the man to see
IIRC he has enough parts to completly re assemble 2 vr-4's. although he only has one shell and one engine (excluding his daily driver) so definatly the man to talk to

scott.mohekey
18-05-2010, 09:57 AM
I've got two engines at the moment. A non turbo one in one piece, and a turbo one in .. well, many many many pieces.

Adam.Findlay
18-05-2010, 10:14 PM
yeah well i mean vr4 bits

scott.mohekey
18-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Ah yeah.. true then!

leepft
19-05-2010, 07:28 AM
its a shame my leggie is not runnig as of yet becouse there is alot off niggly little things that need doing on my car. if any1 needs any parts holla i have turbos an engine a auto box suspension parts

scottie2hotti
19-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Sounds tempting to head down from blenheim... Im sure I can find something to fix on my car??

taylor
19-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Sounds tempting to head down from blenheim... Im sure I can find something to fix on my car??

Yeah dude for sure be great to see you

scott.mohekey
19-05-2010, 11:48 PM
I've definitely got evoscan working on my laptop, so that's another one we have to work with.. chch south motorway runs!?

Goku
20-05-2010, 04:10 AM
Sweet, just found out i'm not workin this weekend. So i'll be there in a car of some description lol
Pm me your address adam, i'll also probably bring dale.

mattnz
20-05-2010, 04:42 AM
Right, have just had the wheel off to inspect the teeth. Not perfect, but how far out do they have to be to be a problem?

I took pictures, but can't find my camera cable /Grrr so here are my sweet mspaint pics of what's going on.

Top one is a normal tooth, bottom two are two that were subnormal.

scott.mohekey
20-05-2010, 04:56 AM
Is the right hand side the outer edge of the tooth?

mattnz
20-05-2010, 05:04 AM
Good question! I didn't draw them consistently, the bottom one has the outer bit missing, and the middle one has the inner edge bent.

scott.mohekey
20-05-2010, 05:41 AM
I suspect the outer edge missing could be bad. Bent could cause mis reads? I'm not 100% sure how they work.

mattnz
20-05-2010, 06:22 AM
Hmm, might post in general to see if there's any more ideas. Don't really want to drive up, change a ring, then still have to pay the garage to sort it :/

djb160
20-05-2010, 08:28 AM
I'll come, someone just remember to pick me up. Can't probably be buggered helping much so I might bake some muffins instead

Goku
20-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Mmmmmm muffins.........

I already said I'll pick you up man

djb160
20-05-2010, 08:39 AM
Yeah I know. Just covering my bases. So how many muffins do I need to make 2 doz?

Goku
20-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Sounds good, then make some for the other guys too :D

Adam.Findlay
21-05-2010, 12:41 AM
sweet well all hoping for good weather.
so far as i know
-patryn999
-taylor
-scott
-kayne
-johnny
are the only people who have requested my adress so who else is coming??
unsure about
-mattnz
-scotti2hotti

mattnz
21-05-2010, 02:18 AM
Not really sure about myself. Would love to come up, but cash is a bit tight, and if I can't fix this ABS problem I can't help but feel that the fuel money might be better put towards getting a tech to look at it :(

Does anyone know how much data can you get off the ABS system using Evoscan? (i.e. system pressure, individual speed sensors)

Johny
22-05-2010, 10:40 AM
time?

taylor
22-05-2010, 10:46 AM
time?
10am at adams flat. if anyone wants to come they can pm him or get in contact with me via the phone number in my sig.

See you all there

Patryn999
24-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Well, the meet was a big success for me. I have a new rear diff! Big thanks to Adam, who basically single-handedly replaced my diff! Also thanks to Archie and Taylor for lending a hand.

Haven't bled the AYC yet, and must say I've noticed a big difference with it not active, handles like a pig. For those who were there - Hamish from Evoscan is still working out a few niggles with AYC and is planning a new release shortly. Seems some AYC versions are not compatible yet. Have to bleed it this weekend on stands I think, as Donnithorne want $83 +gst +oil costs to bleed it and I don't have that money at the moment.

Thanks everyone!

Goku
24-05-2010, 10:56 AM
It's all G man,

What time did you guys end up getting out of there ?

How's Taylors car looking ?

Patryn999
24-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Looks good, its almost as low as mine ;) haha. Bout the same actually, just a little higher in the rear (which would be a bonus!)

I think we got out of there at about 6? its was full-dark when we started cleaning up.

Goku
24-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Oh sweet, I didn't miss out on much then, I think I left at about 5 and it was dark enough then lol.

taylor
24-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Hey Carl. Adam has two qualitys that I do not, Determination and Patience. I woulda been more help if i didnt have to wrestle with the bloody springs.

There is a way to bleed it by powering the pump manually. you just got to get at the Ecu for the ayc. Il do some digging and if you want i could come give you a hand one night this week.

Kayne. thanks a tonne for your help. If it was just me, those springs would have got the better of me and ended up in some poor blokes garden three or four houses down the street :D

Day was great aye. Awesome to meet the rest of the local crowd and great for a few laughs.

Will chuck photos up in a sec

taylor
24-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Heres some photos. sorry about the poor image quality, and the ugly gits that keep getting in the way.

ps adam and associates i will get you back for changing my homepage

scott.mohekey
24-05-2010, 02:02 PM
I'll upload the ones I took tomorrow at work.

taylor
24-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Still got insomnia from giving up
smoking Scott? And whoa. You changed your username.
I just clicked. Scott mohekey. Smohekey. Lol!!

scott.mohekey
24-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Lol, its not exactly rocket science..

And ****, look at the time. Should really try and sleep.

Adam.Findlay
24-05-2010, 10:17 PM
haha taylor i have that exact same photo but with you in the way not me. im too lazy to upload it tho and carl let me know when the new evo scan comes out because i shal buy a copy

scottie2hotti
25-05-2010, 06:56 AM
Sorry Guys didnt end up coming down. Instead I managed to find a curb for my front bumper to get nicely cracked on.

Adam.Findlay
25-05-2010, 08:02 AM
Sorry Guys didnt end up coming down. Instead I managed to find a curb for my front bumper to get nicely cracked on.
been there done that thats why i moulded my bumper together in to one piece