PDA

View Full Version : New problem, power folding mirrors

JTG
11-05-2010, 09:20 PM
After cleaning my car today, one of my mirrors no longer folded away, it starts to and then something stops it. It folds when I push it in, and then folds back out electrically, after a slight cracking sound. Then after a few more attempts, the other mirror no longer folds back out electrically, same problem as the other but reversed, right down to the snapping sound.

I was going to unscrew it but then couldn't find a screwdriver stubby enough to get the screws out, so that may have to wait until tomorrow.

Any ideas anybody?

Davezj
11-05-2010, 10:06 PM
After cleaning my car today, one of my mirrors no longer folded away, it starts to and then something stops it. It folds when I push it in, and then folds back out electrically, after a slight cracking sound. Then after a few more attempts, the other mirror no longer folds back out electrically, same problem as the other but reversed, right down to the snapping sound.

I was going to unscrew it but then couldn't find a screwdriver stubby enough to get the screws out, so that may have to wait until tomorrow.

Any ideas anybody?

i think the motors/gearing suffers from get wet. if you want the mirror to keep working then use them every time you get in and out of the car the more you use them the better they will become. you can always give the mtor/gear assy a spray with wd40 that usually helps to keep the water out and lube the moving parts.

as for you particular case they should start to work correctly when the dry out, but you might have to click them open and push them into position with enough force so you hear the motors turning quicker than if they opened on there own, and do this when the close again. repeat lots of times and after that they should work fine. then give them a little spray with wd40. this is easier to do with 2 people.

also when operating the folding mirrors do so with the engine running to give the electrical supply a bit more a boost. the mirror work a colapsable power supply, if the current drawn by the motors goes above a certain point the power is sut off and the mirror stops moving. that why if the motor/gearing start to get dirty/stiff then they stop working.

legnum1
11-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Mine regularly does the same = try pushing the whole mirror assembly as far away from the car as it will go then try the switch again. Squirting a little WD40 or similar inside the mechanism also does no harm. Removing the 3 screws is a nightmare, especially the one nearest to the door - avoid if possible!

ianturbo
11-05-2010, 10:08 PM

Any ideas anybody?
Mine does it after every wash , wd40 works ok !!
ian

hardarse
11-05-2010, 10:18 PM
yeah my passenger one wont work sometimes but i just pull it towards the window then press the button. it makes the same cracking noise but it will work for a while. bit of a pain but it adds to the personality.

Kryton
11-05-2010, 10:23 PM
If you intend on taking your mirrors appart, here is the mod if was talking about (wiring them to the locking). Seen it done on FTO's but also mentioned on here

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24267&highlight=remote+mirrors

JTG
11-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Sounds like nothing to worry about then, cheers people.

Kryton, sounds like too much work for something which can be done by extending ones arm to push a button for me I think ;) However, if I get a volunteer..... lol

Kryton
11-05-2010, 10:54 PM
I think we should get mark on here. He would be up for giving it a go. Not only that, I bought an auto to make life easier, so I think I'm gonna give it a go. I'm not lazy tho, maybe?!?!

AlanDITD
11-05-2010, 11:22 PM
mine was the same when i bought it, silicon spray and it never came back

wintertidenz
11-05-2010, 11:23 PM
I found that my mirror doesn't go in and out anymore, pulled it apart and the gears they use for folding the mirror are plastic, so they are prone to snapping.

I would open up the mirror and check that the gears are in the right place, then grease them up.

mattnz
11-05-2010, 11:34 PM
When I was replacing mine I pressed it too hard and it got properly stuck down. Had to disassemble it as a bit of plastic had gone out of place.

JTG
11-05-2010, 11:42 PM
I can confirm it's fine once again now that it's dried out. So is the suggestion to help prevent the problem in the future to spray some silicone spray/wd40 just in the gapwhere it rotates without taking anything apart?

VR4Kaos
12-05-2010, 08:31 AM
i had this on driver side and got a electrical connact spray to clean it and got a maintainance spray to lubricate it been fine ever since