PDA

View Full Version : Water Injection?

wirdy
13-08-2004, 09:50 PM
What are your opinions on this mod?

Have read up on the Aquamist system & seems like a decent mod. The technical info has a sound basis and seems logical.

Haven't seen any VR4's with this - have any of you had similar fitted to previous cars?

I know Nitrous is not much more expensive, but it seems like water inj gives you a bigger safety margin at high boost, lets you use normal UL fuel without the ECU sensing detonation, lets you mix in some methanol and doesn't increase your insurance premium. There must be a catch? (apart from £325 for the kit).

Nick Mann
13-08-2004, 10:00 PM
Bonsai boy has it, I think. Also PJ has played with it.

Kieran
13-08-2004, 10:01 PM
One of my workmates used to have a RS Turbo with a stroked, 1900cc CVH high boost engine - About 180-200 horses. The water injection allowed him to wang up the boost to silly levels on his hybrid Garret and thanks to the water injection, the pistons didn't melt... But because he didn't properly spec the engine, the extra boost just found the next weakest link in the chain and so his head gasket kept leaking!

I believe Renault 5GTT owners use this mod a fair bit too.... That little buzz-box has trouble with heat and water injection helps contain things somewhat.

craig-1
14-08-2004, 01:50 AM
One of my workmates used to have a RS Turbo with a stroked, 1900cc CVH high boost engine - About 180-200 horses. The water injection allowed him to wang up the boost to silly levels on his hybrid Garret and thanks to the water injection, the pistons didn't melt... But because he didn't properly spec the engine, the extra boost just found the next weakest link in the chain and so his head gasket kept leaking!

I believe Renault 5GTT owners use this mod a fair bit too.... That little buzz-box has trouble with heat and water injection helps contain things somewhat.

those little buzz boxes as u so may casualy may call them have my upmost respect,ive lost many a pound of sweat(mainly because of pant filling experiences)my mate has one an there a WHHHOOOOLLLLEEEEEE lot o trouble....

by the way can u hook me up with a worthy strut brace kieran :bow: :arse:

wirdy
14-08-2004, 10:51 AM
those little buzz boxes as u so may casualy may call them have my upmost respect,ive lost many a pound of sweat(mainly because of pant filling experiences)my mate has one an there a WHHHOOOOLLLLEEEEEE lot o trouble....

There was only so much they could squeeze out of that poor little pushrod engine! The R5 GT Turbo is a great little car though; the Pug 205 GTi got all the praise during that era but the R5 was much quicker. ;)

zentac
15-08-2004, 11:08 AM
Its on my list of mods to do, Im trying to fix the overheating problem first though before adding water injection.

pjjohnson
15-08-2004, 01:04 PM
I had to have my pump ( Aquamist race version) replaced many times. Quality instal needed. Felt no difference. Wouldn't do it again without evidence of what is was doing and how well real-time.

wirdy
15-08-2004, 10:14 PM
I had to have my pump ( Aquamist race version) replaced many times. Quality instal needed. Felt no difference. Wouldn't do it again without evidence of what is was doing and how well real-time.

Thanks PJ, real world evidence beats advertising literature .

bonsai boy
16-08-2004, 06:46 PM
works fine for me .but as pj said it needs to be
quality install.
sep water tank not washer bottle and pump
below tank .

i find its a good back up.