PDA

View Full Version : got a knocking

funkstardelux
12-05-2010, 10:05 PM
started a around a few weeks ago..its not happening going over bumps ..more steering..luckly mate of mate got a garage so got it on the ramps as i thought it was drop links..but its the right side track rod end..and anextra surprise inner cv boot split.

Davezj
12-05-2010, 10:21 PM
if it is on the front the inner "CV" joint is not actually a CV joint as such, it is an odd thing, it is a tri star thing with roller bearing on each of the three prongs. this type of joint is required due to the fact that the drive shaft need to lengthen and shorten while the wheel perform a turning maanover. the multi link suspension setup on the front actually swings the wheel forward and backwards as well as turning, this help the steering angle and makes the turn in on a corner much better. which is why these big cars seem to handle like smaller hatchs.

but i digress, the reson why i explained all that, was to point out how easy the inner boots are to change. you do not have to split the CV joint to get the boot on. just remove the metal band tire (if it is original) on the boot and slide the shaft out of the cup. simple!
that is of course after removing the drive shaft from the hub assembly.

i did a write up in the resourse/articles section to tell you how. "drive shaft removal"

buy a genuine mitsi boot as the camskill one don't fit. well they never used to. Kieran did a good thread on the incorrect boot subjuct.

funkstardelux
12-05-2010, 10:26 PM
thanks davezj, i ordered one from my local autoparts place, ces in telford, they had to get a special order to get it so be in few days...fingers crossed it fits or i'm not going to be a happy bunny, plan on doing it on saturday, so for now the car is in the garage as don;t wont to risk damaging the cv joint plus the knocking is a tad worring as i changed the lower arms last oct.

Davezj
12-05-2010, 10:32 PM
i had my lower arms changed today under the recall.

thought i would get it done befroe japfest. they took 3.5 hours to do them. if they had given me the arms i could have driven for 30min to pick them up drivern 30mins home again and fitted them in an hour. they were so slow. it is 3 bolts to remove each side and that is it. you don't even have to use a spring compressor.

funkstardelux
12-05-2010, 10:36 PM
i remember when nic mann did mine, i ..or i should say poor nic had the problem one of my bolts and seized inside the metal sleve of the arm..he had a right mission to get it off..poor guy.

Nick Mann
12-05-2010, 10:59 PM
It was okay to get off once you had replacements! Yours is the only car I have seen that happen to as well.

Check rack ends too (or ask the garage to) as they seem to be an unfound issue on a few cars....

funkstardelux
12-05-2010, 11:29 PM
thinking i may order them and do them just in case as be under the car this saturday

Davezj
12-05-2010, 11:31 PM
i would not have minded if they had taken a bit long to change my lower arms, if i hadn't just done a brembo upgrade and mine is a pre facelift (hub carrier change)so the lower arms had been removed by me about a week earlier.

i could not have made it easier for them. Muppets!

funkstardelux
12-05-2010, 11:36 PM
got to love garages who seem to take forever doing jobs that we can do quicker..at least it was free under the recal :)

funkstardelux
15-05-2010, 05:21 PM
changed the track rod ends and cv boot, the grease had water contamination so lucky caught it now.
have to see in the week if the knocking has gone.

funkstardelux
15-05-2010, 08:37 PM
well i spoke too soon knocking still there

funkstardelux
22-05-2010, 09:42 PM
well did one of drop links, the bottom nut was rusted to buggery took ages..good old mulgrips saved the day, but the other side..stuck like a mofo...the bloody nut rounded off, so angle grinder time tomoz.

funkstardelux
02-06-2010, 08:10 PM
just an update, no more knocking, car handles much better. plus i had heavy steering which seems to be much lighter so maybe the track rod ends where the cause of that.