PDA

View Full Version : Some good news I guess

Spirit
13-08-2004, 11:08 PM
Just been to AP Motors and had my new discs/pads fitted. Whilst I was there they we checked the turbo pipes and there was no more oil mist in them than expected - so we can safely count out turbo seals from the slight smoke issue.

They are now more confident than ever that it's valve stem's and we are just going to leave it for now and monitor it over the coming months.

Car got a good check over following Combe on Monday and no issues were found - phew ! The oil was spot on in the middle of the two measures too.

Also took down the print out of the recall for the ASC/Brake issue and we confirmed mine has already been done :-D - one less to worry about.

Now booked her in for two weeks time for engine oil/filter, gearbox oil/filter, ayc and rear diff. All set for the winter then ;)

The Vee
13-08-2004, 11:29 PM
nice one - glad to hear it

wirdy
14-08-2004, 11:10 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about the occasional puff of smoke Pete. Perhaps we're all spoilt nowadays with the oil-tightness of modern engines.

Valve stem oil seals just harden with age / heat it's a fact of life, and unless it gets so bad that you fail the emissions test, it won't do your engine any harm. (plus you're de-catted so no worries about cat contamination). Our engines run hot enough to adequately burn off any oil that has seeped down your valves without leaving any residue on your pistons. Surprised you've never had this before - your a ex-Ford owner, aren't you?!!! :-D

Don't suppose you noticed any water feed pipes to the turbos? (that's another thread question too).

craig-1
14-08-2004, 12:00 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the occasional puff of smoke Pete. Perhaps we're all spoilt nowadays with the oil-tightness of modern engines.

Valve stem oil seals just harden with age / heat it's a fact of life, and unless it gets so bad that you fail the emissions test, it won't do your engine any harm. (plus you're de-catted so no worries about cat contamination). Our engines run hot enough to adequately burn off any oil that has seeped down your valves without leaving any residue on your pistons. Surprised you've never had this before - your a ex-Ford owner, aren't you?!!! :-D

Don't suppose you noticed any water feed pipes to the turbos? (that's another thread question too).

is that F.O.R.D.-----------fix or repair daily :laugh: :rolleyes5 :laugh:

wirdy
14-08-2004, 12:07 PM
LOL.

Or LOTUS........Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious. :-D :-D :-D :-D