PDA

View Full Version : AYC light on

BraindG
13-08-2004, 11:44 PM
What does that mean again? (the red one on the far right of dash)
comes on all the time now :sad3:

Brind
13-08-2004, 11:54 PM
AYC pump needed replacing on mine when that happened.

Never found out exactly what was wrong, just said fix it! ...under warranty they replaced the pump as far as I know.

Spirit
13-08-2004, 11:56 PM
I hope thats not the case for you Barry - not what you need right now (in fact ever after what Mark quoted the price of it to be). Could it possibly need an ayc oil change, or maybe reset the ECU to see if that clears it ?

BraindG
13-08-2004, 11:56 PM
oh balls, thats not what i wanted to hear :(

Kieran
13-08-2004, 11:57 PM
What does that mean again? (the red one on the far right of dash)
comes on all the time now :sad3:

As far as I know, it can mean pretty much anything, depending on how often it flashes?!?!

Could just need a fluid change... Could be something more amiss.

A lot of EVO owners ignore it and just change the whole lot for a non-AYC diff. Less trouble!

BraindG
14-08-2004, 12:05 AM
once the cars been running for a while it just comes on, and stays on...
like the oil gettting to correct temp.. perhaps thats it.. hope so!

Spirit
14-08-2004, 12:05 AM
Sounds daft I know, but some of the Evo guys have had the AYC light come on when one of the rear bulbs have blown - worth checking :rolleyes5

Brind
14-08-2004, 12:08 AM
Sorry Barry. :|

The red light doesn't flash, it simply comes on after the first slightly tight bend and then stays permanently on until you restart the car, then it does the same.

Apparently, I was told it could be nothing more than the switch which is intergrated with the pump, but because they say you can't repair just that one part, the whole thing needs replacing.
Approximately £2000. :dozey:

Spirit
14-08-2004, 12:09 AM
Also looks like a common fault is a pressure switch failure on the AYC pump and Mitsy will not sell you the switch, just a new pump (for around £2500 !).

On the MLR there is a member called rogerrally who supplies the switches for around £100 + vat apparantly, worth having a nosey over there Barry and posting up for help - seems AYC problems commonplace for these boyz.

Spirit
14-08-2004, 12:16 AM
Also check the fluid level in the resevoir in the boot, another guy's level was low in there and he topped it up and the warning light went out !

wirdy
14-08-2004, 10:58 AM
Also looks like a common fault is a pressure switch failure on the AYC pump and Mitsy will not sell you the switch, just a new pump (for around £2500 !).

On the MLR there is a member called rogerrally who supplies the switches for around £100 + vat apparantly, worth having a nosey over there Barry and posting up for help - seems AYC problems commonplace for these boyz.

Yep, he still has some for sale, see e-bay item (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43120&item=7915756408&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW) £117.50 but crucially, a money back guarantee if it doesn't sort the problem. That deal is hard to better!

Hope the prob goes away Barry, but these AYC probs don't generally do that. :(

dickytim
18-08-2004, 07:08 AM
Lickily for my the only AYC light I get it the 3 bars as I go around a corner and the back end drifts out on my (usually 80km/h +) :D

-LegnumVR4-
18-08-2004, 09:30 AM
Could have gotten air in the pipe work from the resevoir, when i first put my car together i had the light coming on so i had to get it serviced. I wouldn't be driving the car hard if the AYC light is lit.

Simon
18-08-2004, 10:47 AM
Our Ralliart engineer told us it was to do with the switch within the AYC pump and that the whole pump needed changing!....As Brind said, the light, when on, will stay on until u restart the car and will randomly come back on....******WHEN THE RED LIGHT IS ON YOUR AYC WILL NOT WORK**************** Our cost was £2,000 :sad3: warranty.

I would try the guy from the MLR with his £100 switches. If this doesn't work i have an AYC pump that i was saving for a rainy day that i can sale. Try the "cheaper" switch first.

Polabear
20-08-2004, 03:44 PM
Our Ralliart engineer told us it was to do with the switch within the AYC pump and that the whole pump needed changing!....As Brind said, the light, when on, will stay on until u restart the car and will randomly come back on....******WHEN THE RED LIGHT IS ON YOUR AYC WILL NOT WORK**************** Our cost was £2,000 :sad3: warranty.

I would try the guy from the MLR with his £100 switches. If this doesn't work i have an AYC pump that i was saving for a rainy day that i can sale. Try the "cheaper" switch first.

Just out of interest, regarding AYC light always on Barry, I was in AP motors today having the rest of my belts fitted and they told me about another Legnum owner in Tavistock who was in there with the same problem...it was the solenoid unit on the pump had literally dropped off...... :sad3: (corroded through) I saw the pump unit...and it was Fooked..fitted him up with a S/H one from an evo... :D

wirdy
20-08-2004, 06:40 PM
.....it was the solenoid unit on the pump had literally dropped off...... :sad3: (corroded through) I saw the pump unit...and it was Fooked..fitted him up with a S/H one from an evo... :D

Guess that proves what the EVO chaps have found on their cars - the pressure switches don't seem to like the hot Diaqueen ATF SPIII after about 40k miles. Strange that you don't seem to get 'corrosion' in other systems that use ATF? Thought most hydraulic oils would inhibit this - must be the additives. :(

Might have to rethink my original thought to replace the Texaco ATF SPIII that is in my diff at present (have some original -new old stock- AYC fluid put aside for me at my local dealer). Thought I'd be doing the right thing by putting in the OE stuff. No probs with the Texaco fluid so far. :rolleyes:

BraindG
21-08-2004, 12:22 PM
.... same problem...it was the solenoid unit on the pump had literally dropped off...... :sad3: (corroded through) I saw the pump unit...and it was Fooked..fitted him up with a S/H one from an evo... :D

:rolleyes5

ill check it out.. if it looks ok then ill order this switch.. otherwise ill give you a shout simon.. unless theres another smashed car, perhaps the rip off merchants in cambridge still have their one..

The main question is this.. am i doing any damage to the car?!
i cant afford to buy anything.. so will have to perhaps wait till next pay packet..

Simon
22-08-2004, 03:40 PM
Our Ralliart engineer said........ with the red light on, the AYC system would not function and the car could be driven with no cause of damage but it would act like a "normal" car. Anyone elses view :shrug:..........

BraindG
03-11-2004, 03:58 PM
Its getting worse, and weirder.

Now, all ayc (green) lights come on, theres a huge grinding/gurgling/struggling noise from the rear. This noise continues for quite some time. now a few things happen from this point on..

a) the noise continues till i stop.
b) the noise goes away, and all 3 green lights stay on
c) the noise goes away, all 3 green lights come on, and go away once i speed over 45 mph. Then come back once the car slows down again.
d) all green lights come up, go away and the red AYC light comes on.

Anyone know of a scrapped VR4 - where i can steal the AYC pump, cos i cant afford a new one.

enigma
03-11-2004, 04:18 PM
I think Simon has one, and there is one down near Nick F1, and Mo must have one!!

wirdy
03-11-2004, 11:42 PM
Now, all ayc (green) lights come on, theres a huge grinding/gurgling/struggling noise from the rear.

I don't think I'd continue driving it if I had these symptoms :rolleyes:

BraindG
03-11-2004, 11:49 PM
unfortunatly i need to get to work :( - no car, no money - take taxi = money.. its a lose lose situation atm

wirdy
03-11-2004, 11:57 PM
A £200 runabout out of the local rag would do that job Barry - until you get the car fixed properly. ;) then flog it for £200 again.

Kieran
04-11-2004, 08:38 AM
Its getting worse, and weirder.

Now, all ayc (green) lights come on, theres a huge grinding/gurgling/struggling noise from the rear.

:stunned: :eek: I hope that's just your pump and not the sound of the AYC wet clutches in your diff digesting themselves.....

BraindG
06-01-2005, 04:17 PM
/shrug.

Went up to edinburgh for New Year, so as you do i check all the essentials..
Water, air pressures, oil. Oh, oil is a bit low (lowest mark) I get 1 litre of Oil, and fill up the engine.

Following morning we jump in car and head up to edinburgh.. 40miles up the road.. hang on, why isnt the AYC light on.. Find some round abouts and throw car into corner. oooh look, the green lights are working as they should.. weird.

Since then, each day i try and break it again.. nope nothing.. seems to be working as normal...

weird... i still have my ****y steering problem, and breaking problem.. but, the ayc lights arnt coming on again..

perhaps my car doesnt like being dirty? cos i cleaned it before filling it up with oil..

Spirit
06-01-2005, 04:52 PM
How weird is that.......but a bobby bonus if the problem has resolved itself :-b

Nick Mann
06-01-2005, 06:25 PM
I remember PJ saying once that his AYC only worked when it was cold. Could be the same thing?

enigma
06-01-2005, 07:33 PM
Hmmmmm, that kind of points to the pressure switch in my book! When its cold there is less pressure so lees chance of tripping a dodgy switch? :rolleyes5

Kieran
06-01-2005, 08:19 PM
perhaps my car doesnt like being dirty?....

:stunned:

:stare:

:wall:

:veryangry

:furious3:

:soapbox:

:nono:

:-D

BraindG
11-01-2005, 08:52 AM
I remember PJ saying once that his AYC only worked when it was cold. Could be the same thing?

Ill keep my eye on it..
its been fairly mild the last couple days, and still there are no problems with the ayc packing in..

it is weird..

just need to sort out my brakes and what ever is causing the loose wobble/steerring problemo (which dave experienced)

enigma
11-01-2005, 09:11 AM
I think I know the cure for your loose wobbly steering!

Put the baby seat in the back and slow down! :D :$

BraindG
11-01-2005, 11:46 AM
I think I know the cure for your loose wobbly steering!

Put the baby seat in the back and slow down! :D :$

Slow down you say?
what on earth does that mean?
slow... down... /shrug no idea.. wassa?

Josh2xsv
14-01-2005, 12:39 AM
Hey I had crashed front corner - bloody fool doing a Uey right out through me path - f***n moron!!! ---- Anyway it bent one of the susp arms and apparently that in turn f**ed the steering sensor (for some reason?!) - AYC light randomly lighting up and staying on! had sensor replaced and all is fine!
Just thought cos you say your steerings dodgy - worth thinkin about? :lipsrseal

BraindG
14-01-2005, 12:59 PM
Hey I had crashed front corner - bloody fool doing a Uey right out through me path - f***n moron!!! ---- Anyway it bent one of the susp arms and apparently that in turn f**ed the steering sensor (for some reason?!) - AYC light randomly lighting up and staying on! had sensor replaced and all is fine!
Just thought cos you say your steerings dodgy - worth thinkin about? :lipsrseal

Good point, i have a simlair thought..
if i was AYC, and steering was doing weird things, causing me to work overtime.. i inturn (excuse pun) would malfuntion..

Another month, when i get next wages, im going to take car to garage for investigation..
hopefully it will fix my car, faith and happiness