PDA

View Full Version : speedo dropping to 0

Geraint
15-05-2010, 08:43 AM
this has happened a couple of times now, driving along and speedo jsut drops to 0 for a few seconds maybee half a minute then goes back to normal

any thoughts?

also when in 5th gear and im accelerating, it hits the turbo and the the speed goes up as ud expect, but the revs start to drop then go back up, happenes bwteeen 2-3k revs, doesnt happen in any other gear that ive noticed tho

psbarham
15-05-2010, 08:49 AM
speedo converter, its a little box behind the clocks, i bet it has a bad joint.

ianturbo
15-05-2010, 09:29 AM
My speed converter is under the airbox on the loom :uhoh2:
ian

frankoni
15-05-2010, 10:09 AM
My speedo has also gone this morning! I was checking the turbo psi last night (befor fitting my MBC) on my way home from work, a few quick bursts of hard accelerating then this morning no speedo what so ever. Do you think this could also be the speed converter or could it be a loose connection behind the clock pod??

frankoni
15-05-2010, 10:11 AM

Are these converters normally soldered onto the back of the clocks

BillHardy
15-05-2010, 12:14 PM
The other week I ran thru some very heavy puddles during a downpoor and the speedo went out,but after parking up and re-starting later on it was working again. Any idea what causes it to fail in this way

taylor
15-05-2010, 01:09 PM
also when in 5th gear and im accelerating, it hits the turbo and the the speed goes up as ud expect, but the revs start to drop then go back up, happenes bwteeen 2-3k revs, doesnt happen in any other gear that ive noticed tho

is your car manual. sounds like slipping clutch

apeman69
15-05-2010, 06:28 PM
My speedo flips up and down on occasion and for no apparent reason. I've had two speedo converter box thingies on it and it's happened with both. I suspect some connection or other was simply wire-twisted and taped rather than soldered. When I queried it with the seller he said that Galants and Legnums seem to do this with the particular type of converter that is on mine (a cheap one apparently) but the more expensive ones for around £50-60 don't seem to be problematic. Load of BS I thought. Anyway, the occasional flicking of the speedo needle doesn't really bother me now. If it stops altogether then I'll have a proper look at it.
The 5th gear thing isn't just the torque converter locking and releasing is it? When cruising in 5th you may notice the revs drop a few hundred around 2-3K when the torque converter locks. That's assuming your car's an auto.
I think if it's a manual and the clutch was slipping you'd see a sharp increase in revs and not much relative increase in speed rather than revs dropping.

Geraint
15-05-2010, 10:27 PM
yeah is the tiptronic one, if i press my foot down abit harder it revs up ok, but at cruising, 50-60ish it goes up to about 2500 then drops by a few hundred and seems to be out of turboo, only press my foot down abit harder it shoots up again

apeman69
16-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Sounds like normal torque converter operation. I wouldn't worry.

AderC
16-05-2010, 12:57 PM
I've had this happen to me a couple of times, both in very wet weather

Geraint
16-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the replies, put my mind at ease :)

seanmc87
18-05-2010, 02:08 PM

Behind the clocks? i thought it was under the airbox near where the sensor comes off the gearbox?

Nick Mann
18-05-2010, 02:14 PM
They are mounted in one place or the other. Official UK imports had them behind the clocks. My car has got one by the gearbox.

seanmc87
18-05-2010, 02:16 PM
They are mounted in one place or the other. Official UK imports had them behind the clocks. My car has got one by the gearbox.

grr ive got a ralliart, i guess that means abit extra work to get the dash out!!

AderC
29-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Mine's just done it again today. Wet weather again.