PDA

View Full Version : td04 output?

lancerevo3
15-05-2010, 10:59 PM
just curious what sort of figures would a vr4 max out at with two tdo4s ,with usual supporting mods exhaust etc?

mark

Nutter_John
15-05-2010, 11:02 PM
which td04's :D , there are so many versions , gowf got roughly 225 bhp per tub which where 13g(i think thats about right ) , where as Kvein AP got 2245 bhp at 1.2 bar on 19t's

Ben and Mark at Eurospec got 300 per tub with TD05-20g's ( again think thats the right model )

Zentac got 600bhp from his single gt35

bradc
15-05-2010, 11:07 PM
The turbos will be capable of somewhere between 450 and 500hp with the correct mods, including an ECU

VR4Kaos
15-05-2010, 11:11 PM
i have one of these off my volvo v40 which i replaced for no aparent reason would that fit on a vr4

Turbo_Steve
16-05-2010, 12:03 AM
Think you'll struggle with the one off the Volvo, Karl......I've been looking at mine and the flange is in the wrong place. Plus, of course, you'll need a second one.

The one to get is the one off the Subaru Impreza, which should see around 500bhp......unless you push them to their absoloute limits in which case you might see 550, but I don't think they'd last that long.

To be honest, if you're looking for more than 450bhp, I'd reccomend going for a pair of TD05-16Gs as it will keep the temperatures down, though at the expense of a little lag.

lancerevo3
16-05-2010, 12:10 AM
i have a td05 off my evo gona keep an eye out for another and start collecting for another project once evo is done.

AlanDITD
16-05-2010, 12:23 AM
In all honesty if you want decent power and reliabilty sack of the idea of putting anything TD on your car...get a set of decent blowers.

Turbo_Steve
16-05-2010, 12:38 AM
If it's an Evo 3 then it will be a Big-16g. I'd consider it too big, TBH, you're going to start seeing some serious lag.

Think of it in terms of the engine it's running on - with one per bank you've effectively got a pair of 1.25L engines. So what turbo would you put on something like a Toyota Starlet? Certainly NOT a td05-16G with a clipped turbine and enlarged compressor housing (which is effectively what the Evo III runs).

Also, if you're using the factory manifolds then the TD04 is generally regarded as the easiest to fit.

lancerevo3
16-05-2010, 12:40 AM
lots of cars running tds with lots of power and reliable too.
if i win the euromillions i will put a decent set of turbos in but until then ill just use what mitsubishi or subaru consider decent as i can get them without causing my wallet to much stress.

AlanDITD
16-05-2010, 12:45 AM
lots of cars running tds with lots of power and reliable too.
if i win the euromillions i will put a decent set of turbos in but until then ill just use what mitsubishi or subaru consider decent as i can get them without causing my wallet to much stress.

Yeah for how long, but you kinda proved my point in that they are cheaper...but imo if your building somthing awesome you dont want poor parts on there. same old argument about replacing wiring looms when running standalone EMS.

lancerevo3
16-05-2010, 12:45 AM
If it's an Evo 3 then it will be a Big-16g. I'd consider it too big, TBH, you're going to start seeing some serious lag.

Think of it in terms of the engine it's running on - with one per bank you've effectively got a pair of 1.25L engines. So what turbo would you put on something like a Toyota Starlet? Certainly NOT a td05-16G with a clipped turbine and enlarged compressor housing (which is effectively what the Evo III runs).

Also, if you're using the factory manifolds then the TD04 is generally regarded as the easiest to fit.

ya thats true when you think of it in starlet terms and with manifold issues also td04s seem better.better just wait and see what becomes of this kit so..

lancerevo3
16-05-2010, 12:52 AM
Yeah for how long, but you kinda proved my point in that they are cheaper...but imo if your building somthing awesome you dont want poor parts on there. same old argument about replacing wiring looms when running standalone EMS.

not looking to build something mental just a vr4 with a bit more go with bits i have to hand.
have another project thats gona be awesome with decent parts,and if a loom needs replacing it will be replaced on that,so im not acomplete skinflint lol

Turbo_Steve
16-05-2010, 12:54 AM
Alan - you're correct, except that it means custom manifolds. So you're at least doubling, if not trebling the turbo budget.

It's not going to be "that awesome" as it would appear the engine will take 450bhp without any huge issues, and thus doesn't need to be forged.
Hell it may not even need to be removed to fit these.

The manual box will definitely take it (for a while) and we have no reason to believe the autobox won't..;...though it's untested territory.

The diff will poo it's pants, just like it does in the evos....but that doesn't have to be hugely expensive.

Whilst "proper" turbos are great, I'd ask you what you feel you're going to get out of ballbearing turbos apart from a better lag/peak power trade off....especially when TD04s offer such an excellent power band?
Is a better power band worth £3500? Only you can decide that one! :)

Gowf
17-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Haha, i love your prices there steve.

Well pretty much what i have to say has been summed up. Now, i do run tubular manifolds which are better than a big lump of cash pig iron, so they do flow better. As far as i am aware, my car holds the TD04 13G record (which includes the 3l GTO's with them).

I have not had any issues regarding the engine or turbos themselves, only drivetrain really. The gearbox is more than man enough for the job at 450bhp.

What you've really got to think of though, the power isnt really all that important, the torque is the far more impressive thing. Mine was restricted to 500lbft as we were a little concerned that the standard internals wouldnt cope.

With regards to things fitting on manifolds etc, I am still one of the few that have had a reliable car out of it. Now there is talk of getting 15t's onto stock manifolds, which i am sure can be done. However, with machining work, and thinning of the flanges the reliability may turn out to be an issue, but still awaiting results on that.

Thing is i wont be staying on them forever, even though i dont currently have a galant. I will be putting some 28/71's on with external wastegates but its a little while away yet.

As for lag, with the 13g's there is none, its pretty good to be fair. I was running 1.3-1.4bar and it sat there all the way to the rev line from about 3000rpm.

Just bear in mind its not the cost of just putting the turbos on, if you want to get the best out of them be prepared for the big price tag that will occur.

My set up will be for sale in the new year by the way!

Turbo_Steve
17-05-2010, 05:04 PM
WILL it now. How do I unsee that writing? Why do I feel Wifely intervention stirring?

Honestly no extra lag at all - not even a couple of hundred RPM? If that's true then the TD03s really are WAY too small!

I'm thinking that yours was remapped when they were fitted, is all?

Gowf
17-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Oh yeah, you would need some fuel upgrades and a decent ecu, but everything else would be there to get them on.

Honestly, there was more lag than the stock ones, but so marginal. like i said i was hitting 1.4bar at 3500rpm. Drove really well, although it was mapped on a knife edge, so raw is the word to describe it. If you stayed off boost though, it was quite pleasant to cruise in, only issue was staying off boost as your right foot really doesnt do as its told!

lancerevo3
17-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Haha, i love your prices there steve.

Well pretty much what i have to say has been summed up. Now, i do run tubular manifolds which are better than a big lump of cash pig iron, so they do flow better. As far as i am aware, my car holds the TD04 13G record (which includes the 3l GTO's with them).

I have not had any issues regarding the engine or turbos themselves, only drivetrain really. The gearbox is more than man enough for the job at 450bhp.

What you've really got to think of though, the power isnt really all that important, the torque is the far more impressive thing. Mine was restricted to 500lbft as we were a little concerned that the standard internals wouldnt cope.

With regards to things fitting on manifolds etc, I am still one of the few that have had a reliable car out of it. Now there is talk of getting 15t's onto stock manifolds, which i am sure can be done. However, with machining work, and thinning of the flanges the reliability may turn out to be an issue, but still awaiting results on that.

Thing is i wont be staying on them forever, even though i dont currently have a galant. I will be putting some 28/71's on with external wastegates but its a little while away yet.

As for lag, with the 13g's there is none, its pretty good to be fair. I was running 1.3-1.4bar and it sat there all the way to the rev line from about 3000rpm.

Just bear in mind its not the cost of just putting the turbos on, if you want to get the best out of them be prepared for the big price tag that will occur.

just out of interest what should someone expect to fork out for the tdo4 application give or take ?

Turbo_Steve
17-05-2010, 10:56 PM
For how much of it...

turbos & pipework?
Manifolds and downpipes?
Fuel pump, reg, injectors?
Boost control?
External Wastegates?
ECU?
Uprated ingnition system (not a requirement,)?

lancerevo3
17-05-2010, 11:01 PM
sorry steve i ment for all the parts to finish the job without ignition system and labour?

Gowf
18-05-2010, 08:03 AM
Well if you want an indication as to what i spent on my car it was around £22000 for everything.

Manifolds will set you back around £1500 if you get them done for cash. Turbo's, again no point in going 2nd hand really, you want recon... £750 for the pair.

Downpipes and exhaust were around £700, Oil and water lines say £70ish (made from speedflow stuff), twin feed fuel rail fittings, pipework, fuel pump, reg came in at around £500, Injectors around £300, ECU £1500, New fans were £100, then you can throw another couple of hundred in for misc bits and bobs like silicone joiners etc.

So best part of 6k?

lancerevo3
18-05-2010, 01:52 PM
not so bad for what it is,im going to go for something like that in the future,
once i get some things out of the way first