PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

MYKEY
16-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Hi guys,

I am off to have a look at a face lift (2000) type s auto tomorrow, it has 41k on the clock and has a full mitsi service history.

I have done a search and cant find any more info apart from whats in the Buyers Guide, so is there anything else to look out for especially when on the test drive/Steeringw that might give a few clues as to the cars condition.

/thankyou

Mike

Nutter_John
16-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Where is the car based Mike and is it a members car

bradc
16-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Check that all the lights including the red AYC light come on and off during startup. Check the green AYC lights come on when you chuck it around a corner. If it is an auto check the the trans changes smoothly and remains smooth when accelerating in 4th or 5th at lowish speeds. Finally check that the fluid in the auto is nice and red.

Apart from that they are standard road cars, so any rattles or groans and whining isn't normal and should be considered in the purchase.

MYKEY
16-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Where is the car based Mike and is it a members car
Hi John,

This is the car in question,
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1598810.htm

pretty sure its not a members car

Nutter_John
16-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Not seen that one around , but if you need a pair of eyes then let me know as I'm only 20 miles from northampton :)

bradc
16-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Looks nice and clean. Strange about having different tyres front and rear that sound like they were bought at about the same time.

MYKEY
16-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the advice Brad , thats very helpful :2thumbsup

Kryton
16-05-2010, 09:20 PM
I went to have a look at that car before I bought mine. I took a ralliart mechanic with me & tested everything with the MUT & nothing flagged up. Its also HPI clear so should be fine. The reason I didn't buy it was because I thought it was overpriced for the condition. I went expecting to buy it (even though over priced) because it was described as "unmarked example" - it isn't!!!!! It has several car park dents (which wont just pop out as inaccessable, dents in the roof & the best part is that it was a disabled owner before (so got random bars under the dash for hand controls that havn't been removed properly & bits cut out of the dash). Don't get me wrong, its worth buying & shouldn't have any problems, but as it is in far from "unmarked" condition, I wouldn't want to pay any more than £4k tops! (I did do a 6 hour round trip with the intention of paying £5k but that was before seeing it)

MYKEY
16-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Not seen that one around , but if you need a pair of eyes then let me know as I'm only 20 miles from northampton :)

John you have a PM

MYKEY
16-05-2010, 09:39 PM
I went to have a look at that car before I bought mine. I took a ralliart mechanic with me & tested everything with the MUT & nothing flagged up. Its also HPI clear so should be fine. The reason I didn't buy it was because I thought it was overpriced for the condition. I went expecting to buy it (even though over priced) because it was described as "unmarked example" - it isn't!!!!! It has several car park dents (which wont just pop out as inaccessable, dents in the roof & the best part is that it was a disabled owner before (so got random bars under the dash for hand controls that havn't been removed properly & bits cut out of the dash). Don't get me wrong, its worth buying & shouldn't have any problems, but as it is in far from "unmarked" condition, I wouldn't want to pay any more than £4k tops! (I did do a 6 hour round trip with the intention of paying £5k but that was before seeing it)

Thanks for the info looks like its not that clever then /pale how bad are the dents? 50p size or bigger ?

Also do you remember what part of the dash was damaged, the lower part ?

Cheers

Kryton
16-05-2010, 09:45 PM
About that, most of them should be able to be dent wizardable other that one in roof + possibly one in the front n/s door unless you remove the handle. Scuff on front bumper should cost abouta 50 quid to smart repair , remove the remains of the bars in the drivers footwell will be easy + just one piece of trim$. I am convinced that mechanically it is sound, I just get annoyed when people claim things are mint or just do quick repairs. Its a shame really cos I would have preferre black to mine. If you want pm me your email address + I will email across a copy of the hpi in the morning

MYKEY
16-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Kryton you have a PM, cheers

Kryton
17-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Just PM'd & also emailed HPI. Let me know if you have any questions re th HPI or car

HPRULZ
17-05-2010, 10:11 AM
most of them should be able to be dent wizardable other that one in roof

depends how close it is to an edge or fitting, dent master took one out of my roof that was there when i bought the car through a light fitting! top job too

Kev

Kryton
17-05-2010, 10:35 AM
They normally can't be bothered unless you pre-remove the roof lining for them so they are obviously more helpful where you are than in Naaarfolk. I cant remeber exactly where it is but I seem to remember it sitting half way between the sunroof & rear screen, so in that case you may be right. Will be good if it is as it will be nice to see it back in its original condition

EDITED - Being a tool, it hasn't got a sunroof/duh & the dent is closer to the back than the front & half way across the width. Fact it hasn't got as/r should make life easier to get to it though.

Humpty's Revenge
17-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Why don`t you go for Wayne`s car (White lightning) this one http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48228

Reason being is much better car well looked after and better spec, if you have`nt already bought it give Wayne a PM?

Both are very nice cars but with a members car you could have piece of mind. Plus Wayne`s is a manual.

Just an idea /Hmmm

MYKEY
18-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Hi guys,

Well unfortunately a deal could not be struck and i had to walk away, the search continues though :seeking:

Thanks very much to Chris and John for your advice and info, much appreciated cheers :beerchug:

Nutter_John
18-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Well done Mike for walking away , you did the right thing

Kryton
18-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Always happy to help + I agree, done the right thing. I can't believe he wouldn't budge when he still hasn't been able to sell it + far from mint. He might be worth keeping his number + calling him in a couple of weeks if you havnt found anything. Might be desperate by then!

MYKEY
18-05-2010, 10:34 PM
/Hmmm you may be right there, my friend in Edinburgh did phone me back a few weeks later accepting my first offer, but to late i had brought the mps by then.