PDA

View Full Version : Increase tension on drive belt

seanmc87
18-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Is this possible?

I have seen people saying that it is and i have heard people say that no, the tension is automatically set and you cannot add more tension...can anyone categorically set me straight?

if this is not possible, then what are people talking about when they are talking about loosening the nut in the centre of the pully etc as i have read this in a few other threads.

Any help appriciated

Nick Mann
18-05-2010, 02:12 PM
I'm not sure I follow your question....

The Cambelt has a hydraulic tensioner that should hold the tension of the belt where it needs to be.

The accessory belts have tensioning pulleys that are adjustable, to adjust them you need to loosen the bolt in the centre of the tensioner pulley.

seanmc87
18-05-2010, 02:17 PM
I'm not sure I follow your question....

The Cambelt has a hydraulic tensioner that should hold the tension of the belt where it needs to be.

The accessory belts have tensioning pulleys that are adjustable, to adjust them you need to loosen the bolt in the centre of the tensioner pulley.

ok by drive belt i meant accessory belt, thats good to know, just loosen the bolt in the middle of the pully and then find a bolt somehwere nearby that looks like it moves it up and down...i assume its that simple...probably have to take the wheel off to get at it

peter thomson
18-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Yes but you won't need to take the wheel off. One is accessible from under the bonnet and the other at the front below the AC unit

seanmc87
18-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Yes but you won't need to take the wheel off. One is accessible from under the bonnet and the other at the front below the AC unit

nice, i might be able to do that tonight then, although im planning on working on a caliper at the weekend so i dont kno if its worth waiting till the wheel is off, or is it really quite easy access?

peter thomson
18-05-2010, 02:27 PM
The upper pulley can be difficult to loosen due to access but apart from that not a problem

Nick Mann
18-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Access is easier with the wheel and inner arch removed. It's still tricky to get at the alternator tensioner pulley though.

seanmc87
18-05-2010, 02:38 PM
will give it a go, cheers for the info

seanmc87
18-05-2010, 05:58 PM
Access is easier with the wheel and inner arch removed. It's still tricky to get at the alternator tensioner pulley though.

ok just been out and had a quick play, found the upper pull no problem and was able to adjust it, however i cant located the one by the alternator at the front, do i need to get underneath?

seanmc87
18-05-2010, 06:02 PM
also...i feel abit of a tit for this but i was trying to get at the gearbox, took off the turbo pipe on the right and started to remove the air box, unclipped both halves undid the two bolts connecting the air box to the chassis, by the suspension, but couldnt find any other securing bolts and it felt like the air box was mounted from underneath aswell....why am i being such an idiot?

Davezj
18-05-2010, 06:09 PM
air box has a bolt that goes from just behind the battery into the air box with a nut on the inside, the bolt is fixed to a metal plate behind the battery.

the alternator pulley is the one at the top as the alternator is near the engine bulkhead/fiewall.
the one at the front of the car is the Power steering/aircon pulley and it is adjusted from under the car just next to the idler pulley which is the one next to the crank pulley.

hope this helps!

seanmc87
18-05-2010, 07:05 PM
ok cool, i cant get under the car at the minute, so that will have to wait till the weekend, as for the air box, just to clarify...i need to open the box up and there is a nut INSIDE the box that I need undo