PDA

View Full Version : My car is bleeding, need help!

Davidian Filth
18-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Hello everyone,

I have just noticed that something red is leaking from my car. I've checked - it wasn't a rabbit ;). As you can see on the pictures it comes from under the engine. I think it can be ATF fluid but I am not sure. Guys, I'd appreciate your opinion and advise! What is this ****?

I have been owner for only 2 months and would prefer not trying to fix it myself.
Can you recomend any mechanic who could help me? I live near Evesham so anyone from Gloucester, Cheltenham, Worcester, Redditch, Pershore etc would be perfect.

Please help!

Many thanks!

Turbo_Steve
18-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Looks like ATF - IF yours is an Auto I'd suggest your gearbox cooler pipes are weeping.

TRENDSETA
18-05-2010, 07:48 PM
i concur red fluid at that location is indicative of a transmission leak

Davidian Filth
18-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Thanks for such a speedy response!

It's Auto.
Should I go to mechanic or there is a chance to fix it myself? I don't have a clue how and don't want to take it where I used to service my previus cars.

Nick Mann
18-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Wherabouts are you? Theree is often a local member willing to have a gander...

bradc
18-05-2010, 08:04 PM
You may be best to take a good look under the car and through the engine bay and see where it is coming from. There are two upside down U bends of pipes to the right hand side of the radiator and there is a very good chance one of those is leaking, perhaps not there but it should be easy to follow those pipes and see where it is going.

The most likely other option is a leaking torque converter but that leaves drops in the middle of the engine bay, not off to the side and front.

Davidian Filth
18-05-2010, 08:04 PM
5 miles from Evesham

I really wish someone could check that for me!

Davidian Filth
18-05-2010, 08:19 PM
Thanks, looks like there is no other option then to go under the car end check exactly where is the source... I will try to do that tomorrow, it becomes to dark now.

I still would prefer to go for solution to someone who has more tools and experience than me so please, let me know if there are any services you trust. and maybe you have any contact details.

Many thanks once again. At least I have a rough idea what can be wrong with my VR4

miller
18-05-2010, 08:40 PM
You mention Redditch! you are on the shores of outr very own resident VR4 guru Nick Mann!

Check post number 5 out above and drop that man a PM!

Mark 4
18-05-2010, 08:42 PM
You mention Redditch! you are on the shores of outr very own resident VR4 guru Nick Mann!

Check post number 5 out above and drop that man a PM!

/yes /yes /yes

Davezj
18-05-2010, 08:56 PM
5 miles from Evesham

I really wish someone could check that for me!

hope nick doesn't mind me post this up, but i am going to say it anyway, you seem new to the forums, so here is vote of confidance for nick.......

you jammy bugger you are very close to nick mann and he can sort out all VR4 issues, he is well respected member of the VR4 comunity and can be trusted with anything. he is a trader on here as well "Nick mann services"
help on you doorstep is priceless!

Nick Mann
18-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence chaps.

Mr. Filth - if you would like to pop over for me to have a look see, feel free. I'm offering that as a club member, not as a trader. A cup of tea, a chat and a quick look see is fun, not chargeable!

Happy to give you an opinion, and then only if you want it afterwards, a quote.

Davidian Filth
18-05-2010, 09:28 PM
Thank You all for help.

Yes Mr. Nick is not far away ,and I will be very happy if he can see my car and me .
:happy:

wintertidenz
18-05-2010, 10:37 PM
I would suspect that the leak is either from overfilling the box, or the sump plug wasn't done up tight enough and it's slowly leaking when the trans is nice and hot.

elnevio
19-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Just to reiterate - Nick Mann is a winner! :2thumbsup

Davidian Filth
21-05-2010, 04:48 AM
Yes Nick is a winner.I meet him yesterday ,and Mr. Mann is the first member of our community ,which I saw face to face .

And belive me,that was something ...:quasi: :quasi:

I hope ,I was no too annoying .I got very nice welcome ,cup of coffee ...
(hope ,little one feels beter ).

Nick told me whats wrong ,what we need to do ,but I think He is the right person to write that ,as my knowlage is limmited.

One more time ,very big THANK YOU Nick ,hope my VR4 will be ok soon.

Nick Mann
21-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Olivia is on the mend, thanks! No puke yet today....

It appears that the sump on the gearbox has been removed at some point in its life - the gasket is black, rather than the pinky colour of the standard stuff. It appears that the black gasket is weeping slightly whilst the engine is running. I think the gasket is either one that doesn't go hard, or one that doesn't cope with oils, as it scrapes out with a finger nail.

I'm relatively confident that removing the sump, cleaning and resealing will solve the issue.

All pipe work to and from the box is dry, as is the bell housing. The drain plug is dry too. All the wetness is around the bottom of the sump area.

miller
21-05-2010, 09:42 AM
interesting! has the gearbox had an upgraded wave spring job in its life then?

elnevio
21-05-2010, 09:45 AM
Yes, interesting! Nice one that it looks like a fairly straightforward one to resolve. :)

Nick Mann
21-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Not sure why it was taken apart, TBH. The rest of the box still looks like it has got the original gasket gunk on it.

Davezj
21-05-2010, 08:07 PM
my valve body cover (the black one on the front of the gearbox) has a one of these cork gaskets on it. is that not original then.

should an original seal be that red/pint kind of instant gasket stuff.

Davidian Filth
21-05-2010, 11:55 PM
I do hope that is what Nick discovered ,and changing that gasket will stop losing atf .When I was in Nick's place ,we change oil in engine ,using amsoil together with amsoil filter .I must say ,that tapet noise ,which used to affect cold engine , is gone.

I get some ATF from Nick ,so I'm keeping an eye on fluid level in the gearbox.I'm planning to come back to Nick in the middle of next month, because of my holidays...and payday .Thanks to Nick ,I'm aware of few more things to do in the future.

Nick Mann
22-05-2010, 05:48 PM
I've only noticed pink gasket-in-a-tube type stuff on the gearbox in the past, including the sump. The three I have got lying on the floor here are all the same.

shaun1978
02-06-2010, 10:50 PM
Your right the sump has been off, it was weeping when I took it to NJ's for a transmission flush, so it wasnt done then, I had someone reseal it and obviously they didnt do it right. /pan /pan

Davidian Filth
08-07-2010, 04:32 AM
Yes. It's all done by Nick yesterday (wednesday) .Very BIG Thank You Nick one more time .You help me a lot ,and I'm realy happy that You are not far away .

So Nick took few parts out from the engine bay eg. radiator, put new gasket on ,done gearbox flush and coolant flush ,if I'm corect .

Then He took me in my car for a little drive with me in passenger place ,and showed me how legnum should be driven :o :lipsrseal

Thank You Nick.