PDA

View Full Version : OK, some questions about the AYC diff, now that I've serviced it...

Jesus-Ninja
19-05-2010, 01:25 PM
What should the old fluid look like, from the clutch packs. It came out looking pretty much like the new stuff. I put it into a jam jar and compared it with some fresh fluid in the same jar, and it was a little more opaque, maybe a little browner, but not really much different. Does this sound OK?

The drain plugs - this goes for the gearbox and centre diff too - should they have sealing washers on? None of mine did - just a metal bolt up into the ally casing.

I got a smidge over 600ml in the clutch packs, but only about 400ml came out when I drained it. Should I be worried?

Oh, and a tip for SAYC owners. The diff needs to be dropped at the back to access the filler for the clutch packs. This means the 10mm spacers will probably drop out. Either try to leave to bolt throught the spacer at least on the driver's side as this one is a bitch to get back in, or as I did, weld a little arm on the spacer so you can offer it up with ease.

Have also fitted a cooler for the AYC pump, but won't be plumbing it in until I do the pump fluid. Anyone know which of the pipes to the reservoir is the return from the pump. I'm guessing the upper one.

AlanDITD
19-05-2010, 01:49 PM
On the Standard Diff there should be O rings onthe bolts mate....

Colour Sounds fine, it will change colour due to temps and bits of clutch pack etc but aslong as it isnt brown old and tired it sounds ok.

Was there any swarf on the drain/fill bolts?

elnevio
19-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Usually copper washers on the bolts. Fluid condition sounds fine.

If there's no obvious leak, I reckon the low fluid could be a sign of one of two things:

1. It was previously not filled up enough. It's quite easy to pump the new fluid in quite quickly and for it to appear full, but in reality it hasn't drained down. Leaving it for 30 seconds or so and filling again is a good idea. Repeat. It's full when it trickles out immediately upon pumping more in;

2. Some of the fluid has made it into the diff (gear oil) side. The AYC fluid is under higher pressure, so if there is an internal leak between the two parts, AYC fluid is more likely to be forced into the gear oil side than the other way around - i.e. the gear oil will get contaminated with AYC fluid, but the AYC fluid won't get contaminated with gear oil. Worth opening the gear oil fill, dipping the fluid, and seeing what colour it is.

HOWEVER, as you have the S-AYC diff, I would expect that not to be a problem. Easy to check though.

Jesus-Ninja
19-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Cheers chaps :)

No, not much in the way of swarf on the clutchpack drain plug. A few filings and a bit of paste but very little. I was surprised to see a big crown wheel behind the clutch pack filler plug - I assume this is to do with setting clutches at the different speeds and nothing to do with what is effectively the open diff on "the other side".

Bit worrying about the lack of copper washers though :( Will source some (recommendations?), but of course means draining and filling again (albeit with the stuff that came out) :smash: which for the clutch packs means dropping the diff again.

AlanDITD
19-05-2010, 05:35 PM
I have some mitsu SP3 spare mate if you want some...im back at the folks on wednesday i could post a couple of litres to you..

Granted it aint amsoil but it does the job just fine, and better than putting old stuff back in.

Jesus-Ninja
19-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Nah, the old stuff won't be that old, as I've just put new stuff in. Just the faff of draining it and filling it again. Will run it through a pair of tights and all will be well :D

AlanDITD
19-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Nah, the old stuff won't be that old, as I've just put new stuff in. Just the faff of draining it and filling it again. Will run it through a pair of tights and all will be well :D

LOL sieved oil is the future.