PDA

View Full Version : Scientists make "Artificial Life" !

Spirit
20-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Saw this on the news earlier.............is it a step too far ? Discuss.......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/science_and_environment/10132762.stm

gallvr4
20-05-2010, 10:48 PM
wrong wrong wrong wrong.............and wrong.
just leave things alone....!!!!

pedro
20-05-2010, 10:49 PM
So, is this the same as cloning?

elnevio
20-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Brad can build himself the perfect girlfriend! :love: :D

Spirit
20-05-2010, 10:51 PM
So, is this the same as cloning?

No, it's completely computer made......I heard they "emailed" the million letter long DNA string to the cell......and now it reproduces on it's own

pedro
20-05-2010, 10:52 PM
Aboo could build himself another tow eye cover!!!

pedro
20-05-2010, 10:54 PM
No, it's completely computer made......I heard they "emailed" the million letter long DNA string to the cell......and now it reproduces on it's own

Surley cells have a habit of evolving??
What precautions are in place to stop any misshaps?

aboo
20-05-2010, 10:55 PM
It might take over the whole car & start driving its self. I cant have that.

If it was to put fuel in the tank then I'd be happy./yes

Kieran
20-05-2010, 10:59 PM
I think this has great potential. I guess the actual cell is just another form of computer, and the scientific, health and environmental benefits could be huge.

However, computers do not reproduce.

However (as I adjust my position on the fence), is this another form (in one way or another) of genetic modification?

I shall watch with interest.

gallvr4
20-05-2010, 10:59 PM
[QUOTE=aboo]It might take over the whole car & start driving its self.

sure any improvement is good....!!!!:bananadan :bananadan :bananadan

Nick Mann
20-05-2010, 11:01 PM
It doesn't seem like a step too far. Whether it will be used in bad ways is more the worrying question. But then every significant development in our history has been abused to some extent.

Spirit
20-05-2010, 11:06 PM
A bit more info:

"In the research, published in the journal Science, Dr Venter's team made a synthetic copy of the genome of a bacterium, Mycoplasma mycoides. Several inert DNA “watermarks” were added, including the researchers’ names in code, to distinguish the synthetic genome from the natural version.

The man-made genome was then transplanted into a related bacterium, Mycoplasma capricolum. This “rebooted” the cell so that it was controlled by the synthetic genome, transforming it into another species.

The cell has since divided more than a billion times. "

aboo
20-05-2010, 11:06 PM
[QUOTE=aboo]It might take over the whole car & start driving its self.

sure any improvement is good....!!!!:bananadan :bananadan :bananadan
You cheeky bugger/yes

martin_y
21-05-2010, 04:28 AM
I guess the worry is it could be used for chemical weapons.

But the potential benefits are massive!

Turbo_Steve
21-05-2010, 07:51 AM
just leave things alone....!!!!

Can't say I agree with that.

I know at least two people undergoing cutting edge gene-therapy treatments for cancer who would be in the ground now if it wasn't for their pioneering oncologist and the cunning new treatment that has been engineered.

Human beings are already full of life forms - if you offered me a bacteria that would live in my childs blood stream and ensure they remained free of cancer and heart disease until they were 80 I would struggle to say no.

The natural fear is, however, that we're playing with something we don't fully understand. The only way to find out how it works is to play with it - and that can have consequences - worst case scenario is an awful lot of people die.

But then it's pushing the species forward - and nature thinks life is cheap.

martin_y
21-05-2010, 08:13 AM
Geez, I think its brilliant, where do we buy shares !! ?

chris g
21-05-2010, 08:29 AM
It's getting a bacteria to replicate as basic cells using man-made chromosomes from another bacteria

Has potential for working with algae for power supplies, maybe climate problems...?

Not wrong at all unless you have particular beliefs and debating them could then see this thread could go terribly pear-shaped

martin_y
21-05-2010, 08:48 AM
Ha ha, Chris, yes - I think everyone is tiptoe-ing around the potential for "pear-shaped-ness" of the topic!

HJM
21-05-2010, 12:55 PM
I thought basic artificial life had been driving Scoobies for years ??? :)

martin_y
21-05-2010, 12:57 PM
ah, thats " Low life" !

Kieran
21-05-2010, 06:47 PM
I think we can debate without pear-shapedness, provided everyone remembers to put their opinion across with tact and being mindful that someone else may find their viewpoint abhorrent. And to respect other people's views, even if they disagree. Sure - sometimes it gets all wrong, but then that's what Nev's mower is for! :D

That said - I do appreciate the fact that we've debated this point without wandering into the choppy waters of personal beliefs. /yes