PDA

View Full Version : knocking noise..

kornstar
21-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Hey guys,

Please bear with me..

I have a 96 manual legnum and have a knocking noise coming from the gearbox area.
When the car is out of gear and the clutch is out there is a faint knocking noise, when the clutch is in all noise stops. When in gear its a bit louder especially in first gear can now hear it over the engine. It seems to harmonic out or just cant hear it so much with road noise etc as i go through to 5th gear.. It also seems to be louder when under load. No noise in reverse. I cant feel any vibrations either from steering or clutch peddle. Also noticed tonight when started it was alot louder, but seems to get alot quieter when i pump the clutch.

Does anyone have an idea of what would be causing this?

Cheers.

Nick Mann
21-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Could be the clutch release bearing or a gearbox bearing (input shaft) I guess. Check your gearbox oil level for sure.

kornstar
21-05-2010, 10:06 AM
gaerbox was flushed and new oil put in but still continued. The clutch is a excedy heavy duty but is probly 5+years old and just hanging in there i guess, not sure if that could be the problem.

Nick Mann
21-05-2010, 10:13 AM
It could be. If operating the clutch changes the noise it must be between the flywheel and input shaft. The clutch sits there! Most likely source of noise is bearings, I think, so that is why I mentioned the options in the first post. The release bearing is potentially the cheapest and easiest thing to replace - fingers crossed for you that it isn't the box.

mike74
21-05-2010, 10:29 AM
have you got any free play in the clutch pedal at all? if there isn't then the release bearing will be in contact with the clutch all the time, not just when pushing the pedal down. after having problems with this on another car its the first thing i check when theres any clutch related issues. does kinda sound like the release bearings gone though.

kornstar
21-05-2010, 11:28 AM
not too much play in the clutch, maybe a little but i thought this was the clutch getting tired. So might be looking at a new clutch kit which should come with a release bearing? Whats and average time for a clutch replacement?

funkstardelux
21-05-2010, 07:26 PM
i wonder if thats whats causing my knocking noise , as it seems to happen when accelerating mainly