PDA

View Full Version : URGENT! Car has died, help needed!

swinks
21-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Just minutes ago my car has died. Have no clue what went wrong, and in deep s**it as it stays in my work parking space.
Well, lest begin story.
I was concerned over my turbo pipework between IC and throttle body, so having lunchtime break I re-did all vacuum and hardpipes. Disconnected battery to reset ecu, and connected one back.
Problems appeared:
- although idle was OK after learning, then after any accleration on pedal when foot off then engine died. Lost revs till dead. On wideband indicates run lean, very lean.
Well, any acceleration pedal press and engine nicely goes to hi revs, but after taking foot off, revs drops to dead.
Then I tried to run car, but it was even worse. Car is switching all right between gears, but after any load (reverse or forward) light check engine and tcl off are on, also ayc 3 bars and audiable wheels dragging, then revs are dropping to dead.

WTF???

Did my MAF died?
Did I damaged stepper motor in throttle body?
Fuel pump died?
Tansfer box died?
Rear diff died?

At the moment my concern is to take VR4 back home.

So if anyone can help with somekinda resque please help...;)

My no. 07984157422

Atik
21-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Could one of the pipes still be disconnected? or partially connected?

Ghost_2008
21-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Dude that sucks...... are you sure all the pipework is reconnected, I had a similar issue when my air intake poped of the manifold...... you could turn the engine over but as soon as load was applied the engine would cut........

I hope you get it sorted mate, I'm sure someone will be along soon with more advice........

Davezj
21-05-2010, 01:28 PM
My guess would be MAF or Idle stepper motor. i have an idle stepper motor you can try, from my spares box.
i will have to test it first as i don't know if it fully working.

i would have thought it would be an electrical issue though. have you double checked the connections and actually pushed them home until the click is heard/felt rather than just a visual check.

if i was take a stab at it i would check the MAF first.

Wodjno
21-05-2010, 01:37 PM
hey Mate.. Tried calling but no answer ?

peter thomson
21-05-2010, 01:37 PM
just sounds as if you have blown a hose off

Davezj
21-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Tomas
if you get stuck and think it might be ECU related, i have 2xPFL ecu and 1 xFL ecu that i know work, the FL ecu is in my car at the moment, but i could swap one of the PFL ECU in to my car and send the other 2 down to you to check on your car. to see if it that.
let me know.
Dave

mike74
21-05-2010, 01:44 PM
i reset my ecu a week or so ago & noticed that it was idling at around 550/600rpm for the first few hundred miles. might be something similar to this but made worse due to an air leak somewhere. chances are that if all the pipework is fitted ok, it'll sort itself out in due course (if thats what it is). have you tried sitting with it at say 1500 rpm for a bit? checked all fuses etc?
ive done similar things in the past & have learned the hard way NOT to tinker unless im at home :(

swinks
21-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Mystery solved!!!
Big thanks to chat with Glenn on a phone. Massive thank you dude!
Well, Dave was on money as well.
Seems that MAF is dead. Symptoms were confusing tho. Especially those wheel drag and work of ayc.
Quite relief.
I need MAF now...

ClubVR4 rocks!

Atik
21-05-2010, 02:29 PM
I have a spare MAF sensor here /yes

swinks
21-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Will send you PM when got home Atik. Now I'm on mobile net.
Thanks!

Wodjno
21-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Mystery solved!!!
Big thanks to chat with Glenn on a phone. Massive thank you dude!
Well, Dave was on money as well.
Seems that MAF is dead. Symptoms were confusing tho. Especially those wheel drag and work of ayc.
Quite relief.
I need MAF now...

ClubVR4 rocks!

I would make sure that everything else that you changed recently is working correctly first before you change the MAF.. This includes the pipework and dumpvalve..
If the Dumpvalve is not working correctly it could be over/underfuelling. With the MAF disconnected this will sort the it out but not the sympton.

When you get it back home, put it all back how it was before ... Starting with the Dumpvalve /yes

And don't forget to reconnect the MAF as well.. Otherwise you won't know if the change has solved the issue..

Cheers

Wodj

swinks
21-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Yes, that what I'm gonna do, put everything back to stock as possible.
What worries me is that with "faulty" maf there's no "check engine" light.
Simply engine is not holding revs. Just few farts with some fume cloud from exhaust and die. Also seems to run very lean lean, but there is right pressure on fuel rail.
Without maf however runs ok in a safe mode.

Quickly check most vacuum hoses and hardpipes - all tightened. But gonna buy new set of vacuum hoses(maybe one has invisible split?).

Got this trobles because car started behaving like latest Atik problems and didn't boost over 7psi, so was pretty convinced that wastegate hose or dv was leaking. Changed dv for Evo one and done hoses, then... you see.

I'm bloody annoyed now, because from nothing I created massive issue. /Hissy

Turbo_Steve
21-05-2010, 10:33 PM
It's not a massive issue - you've just got a leak, and from the sound of things it's in one of the bigger hoses.

Just a thought, but have you plumbed the dumpvalve in backwards?

swinks
21-05-2010, 10:40 PM
Steve, I though that Evo dump valve has same orientation as ours. Just different angle of vacuum line.
Big pipe leak you've said. I had only 4 clamps to check as all seems ok. Tomorrow it's gonna be BIG fight...

Turbo_Steve
22-05-2010, 12:12 PM
As far as I am aware it's the same orientation....haven't got one to check.

When I say "big pipe" I include the dumpvalve lines - they're big enough to cause these effects.

Whilst you're checking the pipes, have a good look for any splits, as that will cause similar results.

What air intake are you running? Mine had a cone filter on it, and worked absoloutely fine for months. I did an ECU reset for somethng unrelated, and it got it's knickers in a twist - seems the filter had gradually got dirty and changed the airflow pattern, but it didn't show up at WOT (apart from being down on power) and at idle and partial throttle the ECU had "learned" it's way around it.

Of course it COULD be a MAF failure......but I'm a strong believer in occams razor - the stuff you changed it more likely to be suspect than the MAF IYSWIM.

I'm about tomorrow if you want me to come and have a look with you - not that I think it will make any difference as you know your way round that engine bay pretty well IMO :)

swinks
22-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Thanks Steve.

:drummer: I think I'VE SOLVED a problem :mexicanwav .

Started "job" at 8am.
Stripped most of vacuum lines and pipes and few of them replaced with new one (all going to ebc selenoid). Put back stock intake set (airbox, plastic elbow, rubber hose, etc.).

Also fitted stock dv following Pauls advice that new one might got stuck. Well discover to my surprise completely loose wastegate vacuum line going to dv. Replaced with new one hose (run out of tiny clamps.../pale ).

Run engine - no improvement. /wall

So, at 2pm I was pretty convinced that it's maf failure more likely and praying thatb it's not a wiring issue (then I would spend days and weeks on checking looms etc. :quasi: ).
Well, because engine bay was stripped, then I decided to take off engine cover for refurbish (nasty cracks). Whilst undoing screws quick look at mine oil catch can and... "hang on, why can is misaligned?" "shouldn't be vertically 90 degree not 75 degree".
Checked on holding screws... well seems ok and tighten. Check on any play on hardpipe to which is can attached and... there's play. WTF?
Close look, and BANG ON!
So re-done all clamps and pipes again. Put back together and now VR4 is running smoothly like a dream :smug:
Because I did reset to EBC, tried to set up again using "learning mode". Bloody hell, run out of road, hi hi hi. To busy traffic, so I did one successful run, but couldn't finish 2nd because Galoon reached almost red line but had to put on brakes too quick approaching other vehicle. Well did setup manually, but hope visit in Eurospec will help. /Hmmm

Massive thanks to Glenn, Paul and Atik for a quick response /Wyhy
Here's pictures of bugger:

Mark 4
22-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Glad you got it sorted Tomasz

White Lightning
22-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Excellent news. :)

Turbo_Steve
23-05-2010, 02:49 AM
Hooray! Cheap is best!