PDA

View Full Version : how to refit the screw covers on the door panel

martin_y
21-05-2010, 01:22 PM
As above,

I fitted new door speakers, but whats the technique for fitting the little covers over the screws?

Davezj
21-05-2010, 01:29 PM
screw goes through the plastic disk and the cover is snapped over the disk they should be connected by a little plastic link.

Wodjno
21-05-2010, 01:48 PM
screw goes through the plastic disk and the cover is snapped over the disk they should be connected by a little plastic link.

And if there not then BluTack or Hot glue to the rescue :D

martin_y
21-05-2010, 06:14 PM
oh dear, little plastic discs missing! I wonder how they managed to get them on without the discs, then. I guess I need the part No for the discs now.

Davezj
21-05-2010, 07:06 PM
as glen said probably just a bit of bluetac that has fallen out of the cap when you took it off. just pop a bit more in the cap and the head of the scew will bite in to it and hopefully hold it on.

try it what have you got to loose.

Beastlee
21-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Mine just clip on top, no little plastic disc to go through.

Davezj
21-05-2010, 08:30 PM
there is normally a disk under the screw head that just sticks out from round the screw head, not really visable untill you take the screw out. the cap click on to the disk. The little plastic link bit normally gets broken off once they have been taken off a few times though.

but you might have some different ones fitted to your car.

Beastlee
21-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Dave, these certainly appear to be a different style. They are deigned to clamp over the head of the bolt as opposed to clipping into the disc to act like a shroud. They are textured like the plastics on the card so are most likely stock. Perhaps a change in model years?

Davezj
21-05-2010, 08:42 PM
Dave, these certainly appear to be a different style. They are deigned to clamp over the head of the bolt as opposed to clipping into the disc to act like a shroud. They are textured like the plastics on the card so are most likely stock. Perhaps a change in model years?

the old style one had a textured surface as well, mine are from a 96 PFL, but the new style ones ,they sound much better than the old style ones because it is possible to loose the little plastic disk once the plastic link bit is broken then you have nothing to clip on to, which is what has happened to some of mine. i am sure i will be able to get some of the new style one to replace them a mitsi steeler.

Beastlee
21-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Hmmm, mine too are from a 96 PFL how odd.

martin_y
22-05-2010, 08:03 AM
so, it seems mine are correct. They dont have the little plastic washer, they just fit straight over the head of the screw.

but again.... how to fit them?

HMG1K
22-05-2010, 08:47 AM
If it is what I think - gold screw, about five on each door card around the edges - it is just a case of placing the disc over the head of the screw head and pressing firmly. That then covers the gold screw head and now the discs match your door trim colour.

Or have I totally misread this thread? :-/

elnevio
22-05-2010, 09:28 AM
If it is what I think - gold screw, about five on each door card around the edges - it is just a case of placing the disc over the head of the screw head and pressing firmly. That then covers the gold screw head and now the discs match your door trim colour.

Or have I totally misread this thread? :-/
:iagree:

I'm with DJ Phil on this one! :singer:

Davezj
22-05-2010, 09:29 AM
yes that is the one,

but there seems to be a couple of different type.

Beastlee
22-05-2010, 09:37 AM
I concur with that too

Davezj
22-05-2010, 09:47 AM
does anyone else feel a bit embarrassed talking about screw heads on a door card. it looks rather anal when you read it back. a bunch of blokes form all round the uk and over seas got nothing better to do on a friday night than talk about screw.

the great screw debate!

message to anyone just browsing through this thread by accident:-

We are not this anal normally!

CANDEE
22-05-2010, 10:37 AM
I remember that my pfl leggie had uncovered screwheads, however the fl Galant has the washer type covers... Was about to go and look at the car, but just remembered the car hasnt been in the garage for 4 weeks... /hammer