PDA

View Full Version : Loss of power- any clues?

Mel
16-08-2004, 10:03 PM
I've a feeling that I've been struck by a portable Fri 13th- it moved to Mon 16th!

On my pootle into work this morning, it was struck down with a dose of 'no power'- just like the first time I ran out of petrol, when I first got the car (that was when I didn't plot my journeys in terms of MTNO - Miles To Next Optimax).

This time I had an almost full tank. Symptoms are all a bit strange: in the layby that I limped into, the car was absolutely fine in N, no problem revving. As soon as it goes into D, any attempt to move resulted in a drop in revs and stall, usually bt the time it gets to 2.

Holding it in 1 on the tip' results in same symptoms.

Anyone had anything similar? And if so, how expensive was it!

Its currently been carted off to Marshalls in Cambridge for TLC.

SGHOM
16-08-2004, 10:32 PM
did you try reverse by any chance ??
I had this prob on another auto I owned. & It was simply just a split hose.
As I put the car into drive, the engine moves very slightly, causing the hose to 'open' letting air in & stalling the engine. when put in reverse, it had the reverse effect ????? If that makes sense !! closing the hairline split, & no stalling ?? just a thought !
The repair cost me nothing :-b

-LegnumVR4-
17-08-2004, 10:10 AM
No Engine Check light coming on? Sounds like it's transmission related :thinking:

Could be a number of simple things like a plug has come loose. Was anything done to the car before hand?

Rhys

Mel
17-08-2004, 09:24 PM
Luck is holding out- it turned out to be a loose air hose, down in the depths (I did have a brief look on the roadside, but nothing was obvious.)

I was so grateful it wasn't something expensive, I grabbed it back without getting them to show me what went wrong.

Question is how does a loose hose kill the power- I would have thought it would help things (no nasty filters in the way).

Looks like Interlec was spot on!

Big Ian
17-08-2004, 10:54 PM
there was a thread a while back..something to do with air or turbo pressure hose's coming loose and brital?
was also a tip (someone should remeber about it?) about replacing the hose with another type/grade of hose to stop it happin'n again?...(i think :lipsrseal )