PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate house moving and generally getting stuff done machine

Jesus-Ninja
23-05-2010, 05:17 PM
One VR4 wagon, one roof box, one tow bar. Invincible and fun! :D Oh, except the AYC light's back on - hot weather I think....

Davezj
23-05-2010, 07:31 PM
yeh my ayc red light comes on very quickly in the hot weather as well.

leggies are great fo shifting stuff!

aboo
23-05-2010, 07:34 PM
When was the last time you both changed the fluids for the AYC?

Davezj
23-05-2010, 07:38 PM
i did mine quite resently, only a few weeks ago.

but i am looking at the OZVR4 thread about getting the motor rewound/refurb to fix the problem and not a dodgy pump. so with the red ayc light coming on earlier in the warmer weather i was thinking about adding some ducting and getting some cold air to the motor/pump to see if that made it any better.

sorry for the hijack.

Turbo_Steve
23-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Hmm...is it the pump getting hot, or just that the fluid is thinner and therefore harder to pressurise?

Jesus-Ninja
23-05-2010, 08:10 PM
I must admit - mine is due a change. Did the clutch packs the other week, on the reckoning that they were more important from a potential damage perspective. Mine more likely needs bleeding actually. Fitted a cooler to the return to reservoir, and probably introduced some air, although it was going great guns yesterday when it wasn't as hot.

Davezj
23-05-2010, 09:18 PM
i did all the fluids before going to japfest, so don't think my issue is fluid at fault.

i have thought for a while that it there was a over heating issue in my car related to the ayc. as the ayc red light only came on after a bit of a thrash or after a long drive. and yes it is probably due to the atf fluid thinning but this is not the cause but the symptom.

i have one of the adjustable replacement pressure sensors. so i could solve the red ayc light issue by simply turning the pressure down required to activate the switch, but this just masks the problem and does not fix it. so while the red ayc light comes on, on a regular basis. so i can experiment with affecting this red ayc light fail status.

aboo
23-05-2010, 09:25 PM
I only asked about the fluids cause I'v never heared of the red AYC light coming on cause it was hot outside. IMO there must be another problem.

Kieran
23-05-2010, 10:07 PM
I only asked about the fluids cause I'v never heared of the red AYC light coming on cause it was hot outside. IMO there must be another problem.

Often happens when the pump is getting lazy/old. The AYC fluid gets hotter than normal, goes thinner than normal and so the pressure switch trips. Malc sells adjustable pressure switches that alter the 'trip' point and this works well for a lot of members - okay, it's essentially 'masking' the fact that the pump is getting on a bit, but you'll still get plenty of miles out of the original pump. Ultimately, there'll come a point where the pump can't generate enough pressure for the AYC to work effectively - But I don't think anyone's reached that point yet. People normally blow them up before that ;)

aboo
23-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Often happens when the pump is getting lazy/old. The AYC fluid gets hotter than normal, goes thinner than normal and so the pressure switch trips. Malc sells adjustable pressure switches that alter the 'trip' point and this works well for a lot of members - okay, it's essentially 'masking' the fact that the pump is getting on a bit, but you'll still get plenty of miles out of the original pump. Ultimately, there'll come a point where the pump can't generate enough pressure for the AYC to work effectively - But I don't think anyone's reached that point yet. People normally blow them up before that ;)
Every days a school day/yes

Jesus-Ninja
23-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Malc sells adjustable pressure switches that alter the 'trip' point and this works well for a lot of members

Got one :) In fact, as the weather got warmer recently, I had to wind it back a turn. Mega hot weekend, and lo and behold, the light is back on. Pretty sure mine is ambient temperature related. Needs bleeding though, so that may help.

Anyone tried something thicker, like treacle? :D

orionn2o
24-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Mine does this too on the really hot days !

I have an adjustable switch, just need to adjust it !

Confused
24-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Yes, we have just moved house in both my leggy and my better half's galant!
Packed right and you can get a fair amount in them!

So far not had the red AYC light come on, we did last year, but a change of switch and that solved that problem :)

Jesus-Ninja
28-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Well, back to lower temperatures today (compared tot he scorcher when I started this thread) and not a whiff of an AYC light :)