PDA

View Full Version : Attention to detail or anally retentive?

WildCards
25-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Bloke buys Nurburgring VXR then goes to town on it. Grab a coffee and see if you can spot the engraved bible quotation.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=81391

:vogel:

elnevio
25-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Without looking at the thread, is this the guy who found a tiny tiny blob (barely a blemish) of paint overrun under the sound insulation under the carpet and was so distraught that he nearly took the car back?

WildCards
25-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Sort of yes.

mike74
25-05-2010, 10:44 AM
jeez, that guy has waaay too much time on his hands! in saying that the car does look good after working on it. wonder if he'd be up for having a go at my mini :p

I-S
25-05-2010, 10:55 AM
vxrmarc... well known, much lampooned and totally insane. I think he exists to make Kieran look normal.

Phoenix
25-05-2010, 11:07 AM
And I thought I was obesessive over my cars! This guy makes me look like a complete slob:coat

bradc
25-05-2010, 11:10 AM
that is kind of cool

stuey
25-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Bet he's a real laugh to hang out with...

WildCards
25-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Bet he's a real laugh to hang out with...

/haz

giblet
25-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Whilst he can go overboard, I do like his attention to detail

Davezj
25-05-2010, 01:43 PM
you know what they say,

"Whatever floats your boat"

But i think his boat must have sunk years ago!

mike74
25-05-2010, 01:53 PM
But i think his boat must have sunk years ago!

yeah, he polished a hole in the side of it :coat

Scanny
25-05-2010, 02:15 PM
who wants to break the bad news to him that its ONLY an astra?

i thought i was bad washing my car twice a week. i only give her a rinse (bucket of clean water and sponge), zip wax (with a different bucket and sponge), rinse (1st bucket and sponge again) and dried off with a chammy. 12 hours later its guaranteed to have bird crap on it again courtesy of the old biddy that feeds the damn things

Ghost_2008
25-05-2010, 04:04 PM

i thought i was bad washing my car twice a week. i only give her a rinse (bucket of clean water and sponge), zip wax (with a different bucket and sponge), rinse (1st bucket and sponge again) and dried off with a chammy. 12 hours later its guaranteed to have bird crap on it again courtesy of the old biddy that feeds the damn things

Exactly.... A car usually lives mainly outside, it is never going to stay that clean, dont get me wrong I clean and wax the VR4 weekly but I know it's going to get dirty/contaminated again in a few hours.........

The metal work under the bonnet is excellant, but the obsessive cleaning on a brand new car is f**king mental.....

bradc
25-05-2010, 07:54 PM
I did think that it is still an astra too, I would imagine all of that work would have cost him a good 10k or so extra?

WildCards
25-05-2010, 07:59 PM
If you (skim) read the entire thread it appears he had the majority of the work done for free or favours, I believe he agree'd to detail the audio install guys car for a year or three in exchange for the labour he provided.

bradc
25-05-2010, 08:00 PM
I did read everything but there was still quite a bit of money chucked at it.

WildCards
25-05-2010, 08:04 PM
I must have missed that then, toward the end he pretty much states that he only paid for the parts and supplies, not the labour. Obviously that would have still cost a pretty penny, but not a shade on the total cost if he'd been a normal punter.

Kieran
25-05-2010, 08:06 PM

The same kind of person who would inform you that your car is a dull Jap estate! ;)

I've read that thread before and my goodness. I think it was Throbbe on here who said that it's a good job that guy's got car OCD as otherwise he'd be up a clock tower with a high-powered rifle! :D

I'm not too keen on the blingy car stereo stuff, but the rest of it is pretty impressive.

That said, if I ever did buy a new car, as well as getting it properly clean, I'd also be slinging a good coat of dinitrol on the underneath and in all the cavities before it started to rust!

666damned
25-05-2010, 08:13 PM
OCD comes to mind......

bradc
25-05-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm not a fan of the audio setup either, especially the plastic cover for the sub.

I tell you one thing though, if I won a couple of million dollars, I would get someone like him to completely overhaul my cars. Actually to be fair I'd probably send a pm to Kieran :D

Ghost_2008
25-05-2010, 08:41 PM
That said, if I ever did buy a new car, as well as getting it properly clean, I'd also be slinging a good coat of dinitrol on the underneath and in all the cavities before it started to rust!

But there's a difference between protecting an investment and what this guy has done.........

It would be kind of ironic if this was the guy that total'd his Astra at the ring which appeard in a thread on here recently.......... he buy's it, cleans it obsessively then promptly totals it at the ring.......... priceless....

Kryton
25-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Fair enough wanting your car to look nice, or not wanting to sit in something dirty, but has this bloke seriously got nothing better to do? Social life? Girlfriend? Job? Ideal for the next owner though!

lancerevo3
25-05-2010, 11:13 PM
if anyone knows the poor chap ,please find time to take him out and find a woman for him .
i would love to jump in it with my work gear on just to see his face

Scanny
26-05-2010, 10:33 AM
anyone got shania twains number? 'i cant believe you kiss your car goodnight'

a boring jap estate it may be but it is a touring car and while we all take pride in our cars, how many mitsis do you see on the hard shoulder compared to vauxhalls? it doesnt matter how clean it is, you still look a prat when its broken down lol

Turbo_Steve
26-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Tell you what - I think he's mad.

However. If in 30years it's still in this condition, it will be worth a lot more than other cars that left the forecourt the same day.

If it's in the same condition in 50 years, it may even be worth what he paid for it (what with the economy and all).

Who knew in 1979 that a Capri would become a sought after classic?

Adam.Findlay
26-05-2010, 10:43 PM
he can come clean my car anyday..
i would love to have the time and money to detail my car that well. unfortunatly i dont, nor do i have the perseverance

waxer
27-05-2010, 12:00 AM
The car's value is never going to reflect the amount of time and money he's pouring into it. However you look at it, "detailing" a car is a totally irrational use of your time, and you have to be obsessive to do it. This is just an extreme example.

giblet
27-05-2010, 12:55 AM
He sold that vxr in 14 mins apparently. Hes now moved onto a Focus RS - http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=154832

VR4Kaos
27-05-2010, 07:30 AM
wonder what his main topic of conversion is down the local eeeerrrrrrmmmmmm

VR4Kaos
27-05-2010, 07:38 AM
He sold that vxr in 14 mins apparently. Hes now moved onto a Focus RS - http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=154832
nice colour

Scanny
27-05-2010, 08:10 AM
i bet his cars are a hit with the birds

starlings in particular since they like shiney things

women? not so much lol

confusis
27-05-2010, 09:05 AM
Imagine if this guy got a stone chip on the car! Road rage anyone?

miller
27-05-2010, 09:51 AM
I can only imagine what Anna wouls say if i started hand waxing my car with Crystal rocksh ite or whatever it is!

see 2.29mins on that video!

then again if i caught myself in the act of handwaxing my car it would be barbed wire round my underpants and a fair bit of flagellation would commence!

lancerevo3
27-05-2010, 10:28 AM
then again if i caught myself in the act of handwaxing my car it would be barbed wire round my underpants and a fair bit of flagellation would commence!
/haz

giblet
27-05-2010, 12:34 PM
I've handwaxed my cars before!

I'll admit, to most people this guy looks like a nutjob, but its his passion. And its his attention to detail that gets him customers who want their car to be given a similar level of treatment

WildCards
27-05-2010, 02:03 PM
I'll admit, to most people this guy looks like a nutjob, but its his passion. And its his attention to detail that gets him customers who want their car to be given a similar level of treatment

I can almost understand everything he did to that Nurburgring Astra, but bible quotations on the heatshield is loopy :vogel:

Barney
27-05-2010, 05:25 PM
I can almost understand everything he did to that Nurburgring Astra, but bible quotations on the heatshield is loopy :vogel:

Might have been "Bible Quotations" that were going through that squaddies mind when he fell off at the 'ring. But more likely some good old fashioned Anglo-Saxon Sayings:oops:

g6acb
27-05-2010, 10:46 PM
I stopped reading when I got to Evian spring water

What a ****

waxer
27-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Imagine if this guy got a stone chip on the car! Road rage anyone?

His mate is pretty brave, taking an electric polisher to it. If I was him I wouldn't go within ten feet of it in case I tripped up and scuffed a panel with my face, or worse, caught it with a finger-nail:furious3:

giblet
27-05-2010, 11:28 PM
His mate is pretty brave, taking an electric polisher to it. If I was him I wouldn't go within ten feet of it in case I tripped up and scuffed a panel with my face, or worse, caught it with a finger-nail:furious3:

His mate spends his time detailing veyrons etc - http://www.miracledetail.co.uk/index.html

Kieran
27-05-2010, 11:53 PM
I stopped reading when I got to Evian spring water

What a ****

Say what, ShedBoy?! /pan