PDA

View Full Version : Who uses EvoScan to bleed AYC and who uses 4 axle stands?

Jesus-Ninja
25-05-2010, 05:17 PM
I'm coming up to having to do the AYC bleed myself for the first time. Eurospec did it last time, but I watched.

So, is it worth investing in the right cable to allow me to operate the pump and do it with 4 wheels on the ground, or should I just keep my hard-earned in my pocket and find a willing helper who doesn't mind sitting in a car on four stands?

Gowf
25-05-2010, 05:19 PM
You dont need to prime the pump to bleed them. It can be done with a decent suction pump to get it started then it will gravity bleed. Ok, takes longer, but is a lot less hassle

Jesus-Ninja
25-05-2010, 05:27 PM
You dont need to prime the pump to bleed them. It can be done with a decent suction pump to get it started then it will gravity bleed. Ok, takes longer, but is a lot less hassle

So, Gowf, your saying "neither of the above" then? Just draw it through with a vacuum pump?

scott.mohekey
25-05-2010, 05:35 PM
I know of one instance where evo scan didn't work due to an as yet unsupported ayc ecu.

Gowf
25-05-2010, 05:42 PM
So, Gowf, your saying "neither of the above" then? Just draw it through with a vacuum pump?

Yep, its worked everytime for me!

Louis
25-05-2010, 05:57 PM
I use four wheels off the ground method, (it's always worked and I haven't tried any different. there is a demo on here somewhere on how to make your own box and plug it in, which would be the best way I reckon, never got round to making one yet. but that would be my choice

stuartturbo
25-05-2010, 06:24 PM
I used the four wheels in the air the twice with diagnotics an X431 better than mutt tool

Nutter_John
25-05-2010, 06:26 PM
I also suck it out , done loads of cars this way with no issue . Do the same on my Evo's SAYC /ACD pump

Jesus-Ninja
25-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Right, going to buy me a sucky pump :)

I suspect I have a reasonable amount of air in the system after my buggering around recently. I assume this shouldn't be a problem and a vacuum pump will sort me out?

Any recommendations on which hand pump or where to buy from?

Anderz
25-05-2010, 07:29 PM
I have built a control box to do the bleeding. Building the box is real simple but getting the cables to get contact with the pins in the ayc ecu connector is difficult. Would be good to have of a suitable connector, so you could plug it straigt in

mike74
25-05-2010, 07:43 PM
im also interested in this as mine'll need doing shortly too! i take it all you would do is crack a bleed nipple on the diff, connect the pump & start drawing it out while a helper tops up the reservoir? then repeat with the other nipple?
would the car be running or switched off?
very sorry for the /Hijack

stuartturbo
25-05-2010, 08:06 PM
I sucked mine out from the reservoir then filled with fresh fluid then bleed it out

wintertidenz
25-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Ooo, err... all this talk of nipples :D

I built a box but it was a pain to get the pins into the AYC ECU plug, will try EvoScan bleeding sometime when I do my oil.

Patryn999
26-05-2010, 03:27 AM
What sort of magnitude of sucking are we talking about here? My-face-worth of sucking or actually requiring a vac pump. I have evoscan, however unfortunately the current version wont talk to my AYC correctly. Hamish (evoscan) says he should have an update soon, but didn't ask when soon was :P

Not enjoying the whale-like cornering, so this weekends project is install carputer and bleed diff.

Turbo_Steve
26-05-2010, 08:35 AM
"Large syringe" sucking should be sufficient.

Jesus-Ninja
26-05-2010, 10:07 AM
"Large syringe" sucking should be sufficient.

Really? Well, that's great then! I have some 60ml syringes, and can get bigger (both in-laws and brother being pharmacists!).

Was looking at mityvac hand-pumps, but if you reckon a syringe will do, then that's a nice cheap option :)

Gowf
26-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Ive just got a hand pump brake bleeder that i use, couldnt tell you the make but its about £30 from the local factors

Patryn999
26-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Steve, were you suggesting my face is a "large syringe?" :P haha. I think I shall visit the pharmacy tomorrow. Not that I'm in any hurry at the moment, as its pissing down with rain and thats meant to continue over weekend...

eyeballprawn
26-05-2010, 11:56 AM
I use EvoScan. Plug it in, click the button, open nipple, close nipple. Easy.

Jesus-Ninja
26-05-2010, 12:29 PM
I use EvoScan. Plug it in, click the button, open nipple, close nipple. Easy.

Hmm, that's what I figured. I already have EvoScan, and am just missing the right cable for doing the AYC. But then the cable is likely to set me back as much as a decent hand vac pump, which I can use for other little jobs (brakes, clutch etc). But then a big syringe sounds appealingly cheap too!

Dom B
26-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Nick, forget the 4 wheels up in the air method, i tried it and it just isn't reliable and you have to move the wheels quite fast to get the pump to do anything. It's plenty scary being under the car while it's going on, your hand is very close to prop/driveshafts and a very hot exhaust when messing around with the bleed nipples. it is also virtually impossible to hear the instructions shouted to turn the wheel left and right etc when revving and shouting from under the car.

The other problem with 4 wheels in the air is that if one wheel has slightly more brake stiction than another the wheel speeds don't match and the pump doesn't work properly as they all need to be spinning at the same speed. I had this problem and due to this it proved impossible.

The cable i made is the best method by far. Took seconds and all you have to do is to take the glove box out and the ayc connector off of the ayc ecu which takes seconds. The circuit diagram was on oz vr4 and was very easy to make, too less than 10 minutes and now i have it forever. If you still can't get it working then you can borrow my cable as long as i get it back.

Jesus-Ninja
26-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Dom - if you have a circuit diagram, I'd be interested in making one up. Is it a clever piece of kit with some "intelligence", or does it just short pins?

Nutter_John
26-05-2010, 04:14 PM
siliconangel did an article about it , all it does is short pins to start the pump and actuate either solenoid

Dom B
26-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Its just a 2 way 3 pin switch with a centre off position. The circuit diagram is on oz vr4 if you search ayc cable i think. It powers the direction solenoid to the side you want depending on the switch position, it fully opens the proportion valve and also switches on the pump at the same time. Don't switch it on against the closed bleed valve though as i am not sure if you bypass the pressure switch limit using it. What i do is to open both bleed nipples and then see which is left and which is right before closing one and beginning the bleed for the first side. Doesn't matter about letting a little air in as you are about to give it the best bleed it ever had.

Anderz
26-05-2010, 05:33 PM
It is also recommended to add a relay to the circuit, so that the "controlbox" uses the pressure sensor to control when the pump switches on and off. Should be a diagam with a relay too on ozvr4

Running the pump withouth this for too long can easily damage the pump due to overpressure

Turbo_Steve
26-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Anyone got a Linky, please?

Nutter_John
26-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Steve use the search feature !!!!!

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30509

:p

Turbo_Steve
27-05-2010, 12:37 AM
Why when I can use the "John" feature! :D

Louis
27-05-2010, 09:13 AM
I think the "build your own switch " is the best way, but the 4 wheels of the ground works fine, but you have to do all the things that mitsy do when they use the mutII.
i.e. turn the steeing full left and do one nipple, then full right and do the other nipple, and repeat this a few times, you will hear the pump running and that is when to open the nipple easy.
You do not need to rev or have the wheel travel fast. you put the car in drive and the wheels will turn quite slowly, job done, no problem, I wrote a more detailed how to and it is on here somewhere, I think it was called "successfully bled my own ayc".
But making up the switch box is on my list of to do things.

Jesus-Ninja
27-05-2010, 11:36 AM
Well, I think I'll build a switch when I get a moment, but in the mean time I have bought a second hand Mityvac hand vacuum pump, which I'll try. It'll also be useful for brakes etc. :)

Patryn999
30-05-2010, 07:59 AM
How does one confirm that the AYC has been bled properly? I used the syringe method till it ran clear and new fluid. Took it out for a little spin and it seems to handle better again (but that could be placebo!) and I can get the 1-3 lights about where I expected them cornering in both directions. No lights in a straight line, and no flashy dash.

Would evoscan it too, but laptop is currently being reinstalled so can't use it :P